My first 1911 Taurus vs Para GI Expert ESP - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times

Re: My first 1911 Taurus vs Para GI Expert ESP

The PT1911 Duo-Tone is a fine looking animal. For those that want to straddle the fence. :P

For me, a 1911 in matte stainless steel commands attention; without the 22" rims.
    Taurus PT99 9mm
    Interarms Rossi M971 .357
    Ruger MKII Target
    Glock G23 Gen 4
    Glock G22 Gen4
    RIA TAC 1911 II FS

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Quote Originally Posted by tyw469
    That is very very true. Para doesn't have a forum that I can find so far which kind of surprises me sense there is such a large following of their double stack 1911s. Hadn't really thought of it that way but it is a very good point, thank you
    Para appears to be trying to improve their web presence, since moving to Pineville, NC. You can find a sign-up for their new forum here-

http://www.para-usa.com/new/poa/index.php

You must sign up to participate in the forum, but I don't believe you actually need to OWN a Para?

It's new, so there's not a lot on the board yet.
    Desperately clinging to guns and religion....mostly guns.

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution, for if the American Constitution should fail, there will be anarchy throughout the world."
    — Daniel Webster

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

i have shot the para it has one of the best out of the box triggers in the 1911 series.

it is a cast steel frame and slide. had they been forgings i would have bought one of the paras.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by jd548
    i have shot the para it has one of the best out of the box triggers in the 1911 series.

it is a cast steel frame and slide. had they been forgings i would have bought one of the paras.
    The paras are cast steel? That should clinch the deal for the pt1911. Forgins all the way.

Member #
    Liked
    644 times

I gotta vote taurus imo cast is ok but if you can get forged then buy forged.
    Your Freedom To Be You Includes My Freedom To Be Free From You - Andrew Wilkow

Member #
    Liked
    33307 times

Well here's my take on the two guns. I will admit, I'm biased here because I previously owned a Para 1911 and it was a lemon. I can't speak for the rest of the guns Para Ord. makes but the one I had just would not run. I finally sold it with full disclosure and it was nearly 10 years before I bought another 1911 which was my PT1911AL. The PT1911AL has run flawlessly and is very accurate to boot. So, I'd opt for the Taurus rather than the Para. And, again I do understand that many folks have had good experiences with their Para. Mine was probably an exception, a manufacturers lemon, and not representative of the entire body of work done by Para Ordnance.

One more point I'll make, and you can draw your own conclusion; Take a look at Bud's used handgun selection. Compare the number of Para 1911's to the number of Taurus 1911's that they've taken in on trade and currently have for sale. Then ask yourself...why?

There is nothing in life so bad or so awful that it cannot be made infinitely worse by a lawyer.

Member #
    Liked
    28605 times

you don't need to go to no stinking Para site!
    i own both weapons and quite honestly both are just great!
    Now i got the stainless GI Expert and the Duo tone PT1911, so finish isn't a problem on either.
    In my hands either pistol as to performance and accuracy are identical, it really depends on how well i am shooting on a given day, the para has no malfunctions in about 700-800 rounds the pt 1911 has had 1 malfunction in about 800-900 rounds, and by malfunction in both cases i mean simply did not quite fully feed, a simple tap on the slide and they went right in.
    Now i do think the para has a better machining than the Taurus, the barrel is very well machined, the sights are better on the Taurus. I think overall i might like the looks of the Taurus better with the duotone finish.
    both weapons are hard to beat for the money for sure, i got a Colt Government Combat Elite and both weapons again on any given day will shoot as good or better than the Colt in my hands. :P
    heres a couple pictures of the two in the out of box look and after adding some grips!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    28605 times

and after a grip addition!!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Thank you very much for all the info. I went to my local shop and asked if they had any GIs so I could maybe finally see one in person and see if it did something for me since I've seen and held Taurus many times. Doing this I think has given me my answer. After asking the gunsmith to see a GI (cause I couldn't find it in any of the cases) he looked at me and laughed and just said get in line. Apparently every one of them that comes in gets bought with in 2-3 days. He also made the comment that most of the guys buying them are cops and so forth and so on. In short the gun is performing very well I guess. I think I'm going to go with the Para however on the other hand with all my research I have a feeling I talked my old man into getting a Taurus 1911 to have a little family competition.
    PT 92
    Tracker .17hmr
    PT 111 9mm
    Judge
    Sigma .40
    FN five-seven

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

The "Cast vs. Forged" debate sounds a lot like the MIM issue/non-issue. Some quotes from other boards-

-"What difference does it make? Good cast beats bad forged every time.
    You are buying a company's product based upon their reputation for good products and customer service."

-"As far as the 1911 goes, my take on it is this:
    If they can make frames out of aluminum that hold up just fine, quality cast steel should not be a problem."

- "From the magazine GUN WORLD, February 2006 - "Para's high-firepower 9mm LDA" by Duane Thomas
    ..."When I interviewed Joseph Rousseau, the Browning engineer who, working with a team of engineers located at the old FN factory in Belgium, designed the .40 Hi-Power, he reported that in order to adapt that design to the more heavily recoiling cartridge they had to go to a cast frame. FN tried to do it with forged frames but they wouldn't stand up. Cast steel, containing much more carbon, and being more deeply heat treatable for hardness than forged steel, proved far stronger and more durable." "

Also keep in mind that the renown Caspian frames, used in Sig, NightHawk, and other high dollar pistols, are cast.
    Desperately clinging to guns and religion....mostly guns.

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution, for if the American Constitution should fail, there will be anarchy throughout the world."
    — Daniel Webster

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links