Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Plus P loads in PT 1911

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7458 times
    Quote Originally Posted by skipnall View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to look it up...no idea where my manual is.

So, to answer the OP's question, Taurus' 1911 manual says all of their .45ACP firearms are approved for +P. Personally, though, I wouldn't bother; the legendary reputation of the .45ACP was developed with standard pressure loads. When you're shooting 124 grain bullets, +P might help. When you're launching almost twice that, I don't see the need. For whatever that opinion is worth.
    [/QUOTE]

If you are headed to Yellowstone and Glacier National Parks and are worried about grizzly's, I really wouldn't trust my life to the .45ACP against grizzly bears.

Personally, I wouldn't carry anything less than a .454 Casull (and maybe a .458 Socom...). I'm thinking that a .45 ACP would be more likely to make it angry than to deter it from chewing on someone...
    william, loudviking and olfarhors like this.
    "To anger Conservatives, lie to them. To anger liberal, tell them the truth."
    -Fine! I said it! You happy, Troll!
    ...Snopes provides no evidence to the contrary

Member #
    Liked
    21315 times
    For the 1911, 230 gr ball ammo is your best choice against bears. you don't need fancy expansion, you don't get hydrostatic shock (velocity's too low) but what you do need is penetration. what will go straight through a person usually won't make it through a bear. Also, never plan on a one shot kill. Think of the first round as getting the bear's attention. Second to slow it down enough to get a third, 4th, 5th 6th and seventh shot.
    olfarhors likes this.
    PT1911 - 45ACP, Pietta 1873 SAA - 45LC, PT709SS slim, Heritage RR 6.5" 22LR/Mag dual cylinders
    1939 Tula 91/30 Nugget, Evil Copper and Black Rifle, Savage B-Mag in 17WSM
    Mossberg 535 12ga
    GPS Coordinates to lake where they all reside. Always wear your life vests kids. Boating accidents DO happen.

Member #
    Liked
    2058 times
    Upon thorough research on the subject of +P ammo, I honestly feel that +P is practically worthless. It gives you a minor increase in performance (typically between 5% and 10%) in exchange for accelerated wear to the pistol.

Besides, .45 ACP is already considered to be a highly capable round to begin with, and only those who are ignorant or compensating for something would argue otherwise.

That being said, if you are looking for a 1911 to use as a Trail Gun, and you feel that .45 ACP isn't enough, then get one chambered in 10mm Auto. Unfortunately, Taurus doesn't make a PT1911 chambered in 10mm, (yet) but Rock Island Armory and Ruger do. (Although the Ruger is more expensive than RIA, it's still cheap as far as 10mm 1911s go.)
    "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco Remírez - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Same

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    30553 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuco_Ramírez View Post
    That being said, if you are looking for a 1911 to use as a Trail Gun, and you feel that .45 ACP isn't enough, then get one chambered in 10mm Auto.
    In terms of momentum, there isn't much difference. Typically 10mm does offer higher capacity though.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    4131 times
    If you are using a 45acp for bear protection, you might want to take a look at these

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=214

Member #
    Liked
    25876 times
    Has anyone used +P loads in their PT 1911? Thoughts?
    Sure!
    well it depends on what the purpose of a particular projectile /power is for me.
    for self defense I and depending on the size/ weight of the 1911 then I generally lean in the 185-200 grain variety and NON plus P myself.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    25876 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacher39 View Post
    I do not shoot +P ammo in any of my handguns. I never have.
    I have seen statements in firearm manuals that state to NOT use +P ammo.
    I have never seen a statement that said +P ammo is OK to use.
    With the plethora of good high quality high performance ammo on the market these days
    I think pushing the limits of a firearm is unnecessary and dangerous.
    That and I practice with the same ammo I use in my carry gun for obvious reasons.
    I have no desire to practice with +P ammo.
    wow --where to start?
    first read the Taurus manual or really about any modern 1911 manual and they pretty much all state that the use of plus P ammo is fine.
    second- ahh plus P ammo generally uses the same, as good as or even better designed projectiles than non plus P ammo by the same manufactures, so depending on the intended job then plus p may be a good choice.
    third- plus P pressure is still well within safe operating pressure for the particular cartridge (and usually the gun itself.)
    SAAMI only list a few calibers as safe for Plus p operation , all of these are safe in guns of those calibers If the weapon itself is of modern design and good quality.
    all of these calibers are still well below Proof pressure.
    now one may jump to the conclusion that I am a big plus P fan, I am not but not for any of the reason that you listed but more for the fact that mainly I am shooting humans and I like faster return to target cause I am a gonna try to shoot you at least 3 times if I must shoot you.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.

Member #
    Liked
    25876 times
    The reason I ask is I am going up to Yellowstone and Glacier. I was told the 1911 would be a good carry sidearm in it had +P.
    ahh??-- Yea and beauty is in eye of the beer Holder!
    Now IF I had no choice then yea I would go 45 acp, in a 1911.
    IF I had a choice I personally would opt for my 10 MM and not the 1911 but the Tanfoglio as it carries like 16 rounds of 10 MM, vs 8 -9 rounds of 45acp.
    actually and this might surprise some but I think I would opt for a 41-44 mag revolver vs a standard 1911 as I would not be giving up that much fire power 6 VS 8-9 rounds and a whole lot more power..
    just my ramblings.

Member #
    Liked
    25876 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacemakr40 View Post
    For the 1911, 230 gr ball ammo is your best choice against bears. you don't need fancy expansion, you don't get hydrostatic shock (velocity's too low) but what you do need is penetration. what will go straight through a person usually won't make it through a bear. Also, never plan on a one shot kill. Think of the first round as getting the bear's attention. Second to slow it down enough to get a third, 4th, 5th 6th and seventh shot.

and in that same line of thought, which I do agree with!
    then yes the plus P round would be advantageous as it would have more energy and more penetration than a standard velocity ammo.
    the down side is muzzle reaction, recoil and muzzle flash.

Member #
    Liked
    25876 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHorse View Post
    In terms of momentum, there isn't much difference. Typically 10mm does offer higher capacity though.

depends on the projectile weight!
    a 10 MM is light years faster than the old lower pressure brick 45 acp, so with a 180-200 grain FMJ the 10 MM has a lot of penetration and of course speed =energy as well.
    my problem in the 1911 is that you really don't gain a lot more capacity using a single line mag, now get a stacked mag and we are talking about a lot of difference.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links