Taurus PT 1911 Parts
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Taurus PT 1911 Parts

Looking for a few aftermarket parts to prepare my blue steel PT1911 for duty use. Does anyone know where I can purchase an adjustable rear sight, magwell, and a set of G10 grips?

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Re: Taurus PT 1911 Parts

You can get the rear sight from Novak. I just installed one on my PT1911b in .38 super and it fit very well with minimal fitting.
    Why aren't there any cheap hobbies?

Member #
    Liked
    35220 times

As CUForester said Novak makes sites designed for the PT-1911. With the ambidextrous safety most grips need a slight tweaking, but should work. As for the magwell, I have never used one but from what I have heard any good one should fit, but like any one size fits all 1911 part, I would guess it might need a bit of work.
    "Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem" (I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery) Thomas Jefferson in a letter to James Madison

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

"If everyone is thinking alike then someone isn't thinking!" General Patton

"If we waited for Washington to tell us when to plant, we should soon want bread." Thomas Jefferson

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    11222 times

You say you are preparing your PT-1911 for duty use? I don't think I would add either an adjustable rear sight, or a magwell for duty use, both those are meant more for competition use. The adjustable rear sight may come loose at the most inopportune time, most "experts" (and I'm not one) would tell you to stick to good fixed sights for duty use. As far as the magwell, well first it adds weight and you must use magazines that extend a little past the bottom of the magwell or you will have a problem, not only seating full mags, but also trying to remove a sticky empty mag. Again, this is likely to happen at the most inopportune time (Murphy's law, you know). But if you do go with a magwell plan on new mags to go with it, and forget using any of the GI type magazines. Beveling the bottom of the frame will accomplish what you are aiming towards without the complications and weight of a magwell.

Now for the grips, I can understand G10, but I would tell you for "duty use" I would pay more attention to how the grip grips your hand than what materials it is made of.

Ergo grips has a couple of grips that I like.  http://www.ergogrips.net/subcats.cfm?Category=09 The Ergo XT/XTR series are very good if you wear gloves. These grips will not move around on you and can be a little uncomfortable, if you shoot bare handed. The Deluxe wood grips, are wood laminate (meaning they will hold up like G10) and utilize the golf ball dimple style which creates a suction to your bare hand. I love this style, no matter the material, because they hold in place and are very comfortable.

One other style I like is sand blasted canvas micarta. It has a unique feel and sticks to your hand no matter the environment, or whether you are wearing gloves or bare handed. If I made my own grips that is what I would make.

As far as G10, here are a couple of sources that make a variety of styles without raising the prices through the roof.

Linville is a renowned knifemaker, who knows a good bit about working with G10 and Micarta and has a reputation for quality.
    http://www.linvilleknifeandtool.com/...uct_grips.html

VZ has been making these type grips for a long time and also has a reputation for quality.
    http://vzgrips.com/gun-grips/1911-pistol-grips-1
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks for the suggestions I really appreciate it.

Member #
    Liked
    11222 times

Also, since you have the blue version and its for duty use, i.e., it will see a lot of holster time, I would look at spraying on a coat of satin clear Duracoat to keep the blue from rusting and/or wearing.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Go to the LEO section of 1911forum.com

They have a thread specifically on mods for 1911 duty weapons.
    Proud, Service-Oriented, Rural LEO, or BADGED COWBOY

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Wolf your discussion of the magwell is very wel found, but I just can't forsee any problems with the Novak rear sight. It is a low-profile model that has roughly the same external dimensions as the factory sight. I agree whole heartedly that a target-style rear sight is inappropriate for a duty (or defensive) handgun in most situations, but I have complete faith in the reliability and durability of that particular sight. Excellent suggestions on the grips, I currently have fosewood double diamonds on my super, but I think that I'll look into a set of the Delux Wood Ergos.
    Why aren't there any cheap hobbies?

Member #
    Liked
    11222 times

We all make compromises, it just depends on how much risk you are willing to accept. If I had adjustables that I really liked I might think hard about locktiting those babies down and going with them. But, I'm not one of the experts and their advice is to stick with fixed sights for duty use.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

At the same time, the Colt Gold Cup (has a target sight) has been a favorite carry pistol for decades for the Texas Rangers (not referring to the baseball team here). Back when Jeff Cooper's input in using the 1911 began, adding a S&W adjustable rear sight to the 1911 was a popular thing to do. Lots of DA revolvers with adjustable sights have been carried succesfullly as duty guns. So, carrying a duty weapon with an adjustable sight isn't necessarily a bad thing. Lots have done so and still do. For those who have the freedom to choose, it is an individual decision.

Sponsored Links