Sight is stuck, hex key set screw stripped, what now? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 28 of 28
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Sight is stuck, hex key set screw stripped, what now?

  1. #21
    Junior Member
    Member #
    40539
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    somewhere around central north america
    Posts
    15
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olfarhors View Post
    AHH, actually a proper sight will be slightly over sized and need to have material removed to make a proper fit in the dovetail, there by using no type of screw etc to hold the sight in place.
    just FYI-- I think dawson precision makes sights for the PT1911 and pretty sure they have the tritium option.
    hope this helps you.

    I found this selection on their site. I cannot find tritium, I like their fiber optic sights though

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Member #
    11801
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Metro Atlanta Georgia
    Posts
    33,382
    Liked
    25898 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sampson View Post
    I found this selection on their site. I cannot find tritium, I like their fiber optic sights though
    Give them a call and ask if they can not make a sight for you--bet they will and the cost is not out of the world either.
    I have bought several sights from them over the years and when talking to them direct they have been very accomidating.
    oso and Czechbikr like this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

  3. #23
    oso
    oso is offline
    Senior Member
    Member #
    22503
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    N.E. OHIO
    Posts
    1,924
    Liked
    1466 times
    Dawson Precision is a very good co. someone always answers when you call, they are knowledgeable and accomadating.
    Czechbikr and olfarhors like this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #24
    Senior Member
    Member #
    15577
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    DFW, Lone Star State
    Posts
    156
    Liked
    175 times
    I too have suffered the dreaded Taurus PT1911 rear sight set screw failure. I was shooting full power 230 grain ammo and I couldn't keep the rear sight from dancing around. Like the others here when I tried to tighten it, I boogered up the set screw. (Evidently the guys who design these things don't bother to shoot them.) I managed to get the screw to back off enough to clear the pocket in the dovetail that the screw sits in. I don't want to mess with the set screw concept anymore. I would like to find a shim that would fit between the slide and sight. If I need to adjust it, I'll drift it over with a punch and hammer. Once adjusted I hope the damn thing nevers moves again. Any idea what thickness shim I'll need and where I can locate it? Thanks.

  6. #25
    Senior Member
    Member #
    11801
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Metro Atlanta Georgia
    Posts
    33,382
    Liked
    25898 times
    Quote Originally Posted by confused View Post
    I too have suffered the dreaded Taurus PT1911 rear sight set screw failure. I was shooting full power 230 grain ammo and I couldn't keep the rear sight from dancing around. Like the others here when I tried to tighten it, I boogered up the set screw. (Evidently the guys who design these things don't bother to shoot them.) I managed to get the screw to back off enough to clear the pocket in the dovetail that the screw sits in. I don't want to mess with the set screw concept anymore. I would like to find a shim that would fit between the slide and sight. If I need to adjust it, I'll drift it over with a punch and hammer. Once adjusted I hope the damn thing nevers moves again. Any idea what thickness shim I'll need and where I can locate it? Thanks.
    my suggestion is to go to an auto parts store and buy one of the old time feeler gauges.
    that way you will have a multitude of thicknesses to choose from for a shim. and you will have a lifetime of extras for your, your friends, and others use should you need them.
    GreenWolf70 and confused like this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

  7. #26
    Senior Member
    Member #
    15577
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    DFW, Lone Star State
    Posts
    156
    Liked
    175 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olfarhors View Post
    my suggestion is to go to an auto parts store and buy one of the old time feeler gauges.
    Thank you, Sir! The shim that gave the best performance was .006. The rear sight is now so tight that I need a small nylon hammer to adjust it. I will test it and report back as to whether it stays in place under recoil with 230 grain boolits. Set screws be damned!

  8. #27
    Junior Member
    Member #
    74433
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    3
    Liked
    2 times
    I took a cutoff wheel to mine cut through middle of set screw, until last little bit then used hacksaw,got my William's fire sight installed
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  9. #28
    Member
    Member #
    48929
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    42
    Liked
    30 times
    Sampson, did you ever solve your rear sight issue?
    Last edited by Dad1911; 05-23-2019 at 05:21 AM.

 

 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-11-2017, 05:50 AM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-26-2015, 04:28 PM
  3. Stuck Front Sight Set Screw PT 145
    By Czechbikr in forum Smithing
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-31-2013, 09:07 AM
  4. PT 809 sight hex head screw sizes???
    By JWebber82 in forum PT92 & Other Taurus Pistols
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-22-2012, 09:59 AM
  5. What Size Hex Key to Remove Front Sight?
    By Mainer in forum Millennium (Pro) Pistols
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-17-2012, 08:27 PM

Search tags for this page

sig bravo 4 screw stripped

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Tags for this Thread