Sight is stuck, hex key set screw stripped, what now? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Sight is stuck, hex key set screw stripped, what now?

Member #
    Liked
    21312 times
    The first problem you have is removing the old set screw. you can try tapping in a larger allen or torx but and backing it out or you can dremel a slot in the set screw (and across the rear sight) and ease it out with a standard screwdriver. For the second part, I believe standard Novak dovetails are at 60 degrees with Taurus at either 63 or 67 degrees. You can get a standard novak dovetailed sight to fit with careful reshaping of the dovetail angles. There are also non-tritium sights using Fiber optic tubes that are cut for the Taurus Dovetail. Off the top of my head, Williams Fire Sights and Dawson Precision come to mind.
    PT1911 - 45ACP, Pietta 1873 SAA - 45LC, PT709SS slim, Heritage RR 6.5" 22LR/Mag dual cylinders
    1939 Tula 91/30 Nugget, Evil Copper and Black Rifle, Savage B-Mag in 17WSM
    Mossberg 535 12ga
    GPS Coordinates to lake where they all reside. Always wear your life vests kids. Boating accidents DO happen.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    yeah, I'm leaning more and more towards drilling out the entire sight and replacing it with a fiber optic set from williams fire sight set of two. then I can drill and tap my old rear sight and not worry about it.

Member #
    Liked
    10175 times
    Quick search on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_688yei2lkd_e

Here's a reference: https://www.taurus-guru.com/taurus-p...ssories/sights

There are many sights on eBay that are for the PT-1911 too.
    Last edited by GreenWolf70; 12-28-2018 at 06:26 AM.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1416 times
    Another vote for the Torx. I've used them on a ton of stripped Allen head set screws
    Yissnakk likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    253 times
    If you have to drill,just take the head off the screw,no need yo drill the threads out.there should be enough of screw left to turn out with small pliers.But you may have cross threaded the screw.
    Lomax likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    311 times
    If it's worth putting a hole in then it's worth putting a BIG hole in.

PT111

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    13196 times
    Left twist bit from Snap-on

Make America Great Again - Remove all the warning labels!
    I shoot to support my reloading habit
    Only when your house is on fire, will you have too much ammo!
    Psalms 144:1
    Never go into a fight with less ammo than you can carry - W Ward
    Lubbock 15 Sand Lake 15 & 16 Rapid City 15 - 18

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I got it off! (phrasing!)

Warning this may be Not Safe for Taurusarmed!

The problem was that the set screw is really small, (too small for even the smallest ez out I could find.) and to add insult to injury the set screw was all the way at the bottom of the hole, bottomed out. I had also already tried the torx bit and got nothing.

I ended up breaking 2 drill bits, a diamond tipped dremel bit, and a small tungsten carbide milling bit (that was expensive), and shattered a metal cutting wheel on my dremel. (FRUSTRATED) So at my wits end, I resorted to the good old fashioned hack saw! (brute force attack) having cut as far down as I could (or would risk) with a hack saw, then drive it out sideways with a hammer and screwdriver (it worked because the cut I made took out the front portion of where the set screw was still attached to the threads. But I saved the slide with 0 damage!!! Shame to waste a $40 Novak sight. but whada-ya-gonna-do!

I already ordered the Williams fire sights, although I'd really rather have a set of tritium sights that are made to fit correctly without having to spend over $100 for the set.

I looked over this list, and It seems to be outdated. I can't seem to find anythign that is not the novak sights that are milled to fit correctly, I'd love to get the correct set of tru glo tritium sights, if they can be found.

If anyone knows of a tritium sight that's under $100 and fits this gun, I'd love to get specific a link from you.
    Last edited by sampson; 12-28-2018 at 10:26 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    25874 times
    AHH, actually a proper sight will be slightly over sized and need to have material removed to make a proper fit in the dovetail, there by using no type of screw etc to hold the sight in place.
    just FYI-- I think dawson precision makes sights for the PT1911 and pretty sure they have the tritium option.
    hope this helps you.
    GreenWolf70 and oso like this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    21784 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jimb1972 View Post
    I would probably try tapping a torx bit in there with a hammer first before drilling, you can always go to the drill as a last resort.
    I've done it with a square bit.....
    Definition of clip

1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links