New 1911
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New 1911

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

New 1911

Just got my 1911SS from buds for $589. I first took it all apart and cleaned everything. I'd never done this on a gun (taking it down and pulling the hammer, extractor, firing pin, mag release trigger, EVERYTHING) and with this being my first 1911 it was a little intimidating. Everything worked out fine though as last night I took it shooting for the first time without any malfunctions of any sort. Even with the big HST hollow points it cycled it all with dead-on accuracy!

I love this gun!

Member #
    Liked
    33303 times

Re: New 1911

Congrats on the new 1911 and on cleaning it before you shot it! They are a great gun to shoot. I love mine. One word of caution though, they can lead to some rather large ammo purchases just to satisfy your desire to shoot the 1911! Enjoy your new pistol and post some picturesd of it whan you get time!

There is nothing in life so bad or so awful that it cannot be made infinitely worse by a lawyer.

Member #
    Liked
    27033 times

Welcome to the forum and the 1911 club!
    Hopefully you will enjoy this life long legal addiction!
    MY PT1911 has so far ate everything that i could fit in the magazine and asked for more!
    when you get a chance post a few pictures of her, perhaps you could talk millpro into buying one of them as well!
    He wants one hes just to shy to admit it.
    we also being Voyuer shooters enjoy salivating over range reports and pictures of the outing!
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    17004 times

Quote Originally Posted by mustang00066
    Just got my 1911SS from buds for $589. I first took it all apart and cleaned everything. I'd never done this on a gun (taking it down and pulling the hammer, extractor, firing pin, mag release trigger, EVERYTHING) and with this being my first 1911 it was a little intimidating. Everything worked out fine though as last night I took it shooting for the first time without any malfunctions of any sort. Even with the big HST hollow points it cycled it all with dead-on accuracy!

I love this gun!
    Welcome to the club. It definitely WON'T be your last.
    Children, pets, and slaves get taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

When Democracy turns to Tyranny

I still plan to vote.

SUPER MODERATOR EMERITUS With Us Always 1953-2012
    Member #
    Body in El Paso - heart and soul in Marshall, Texas
    Liked
    824 times

Congrats on a good choice. Now you need some snazzy grips.
    "Failure is always an option" - Adam Savage (Mythbusters)
    Nikita K. made the prediction. Barry O. is working to make it come true. - BUTT
    "The secret of life is to solve more problems than you create." - BUTT
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up governed by your inferiors." - Plato

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    4258 times

Congrats on your purchase.

I bought mine (blued) a few months after they came on the market. It is a sweet shooter.
    Why has the world gone to hell since John Wayne died?

Help save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered.

"If the federal government could control anything, I could probably listen to that gibberish, but when they do such a horrible job in controlling spending, borrowing, controlling illegal drugs and illegal aliens coming into this country while they give AK-47s to Mexican drug lords through Fast and Furious, I don’t see much hope in them even beginning to control guns."

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I posted a full review of it on another website that i'll just copy and paste over here as well. I'll post a picture too.

Review of my first 1911

I love the look and history of the 1911 and I have wanted one for quite some time. But I was always turned off from the idea because I believed that it was impossible to find one that would shoot accurately right out of the box without a trip to the gunsmith (my friend has a springer GI that has the worst trigger of any gun i've ever shot), or even just function in general with out a gunsmith visit.

Many that had malfunctions were told how to fix it in usually one of 4 ways:
    1) They were criticized for their purchase and told to sell it to buy a better/more expensive gun instead of wasting money on junk
    2) Take it to a gunsmith for tuning and polishing
    3) Buy some new Wilson combat mags
    or 4) Keep shooting til it was "broken in" and just hope it ironed itself out.

I was in a gun shop about 6 months ago just looking around and saw a stainless 1911 that looked nice, I was surprised to see that it was a taurus! The trigger felt light and very crisp, it seemed all around to be a really TIGHT fitting gun, and i liked the way it felt in my hand. I didn't want to just jump in and buy it though because I am very cautious with my gun purchases and wanted to make sure I did my homework first. Plus I had read so much random crap on taurus that in my mind it might as well have been a hi-point.

After all the gun magazine reviews i could find online were really positive, I started just searching around on forums and also finding customer reviews of places that sold the gun. What I found was that the general consensus of actual OWNERS of the gun, was that it was really accurate, and functioned without any major hiccups (some of the gun owners that got the gun when it was first released complained of the thumb safety working loose or of some of the MIM parts breaking, but i found those complaints disappeared the closer to the present the posts got so i assumed Taurus worked out those bugs). The 19 reviews of the stainless model at Bud's gun shop were all 5 stars with repeated accounts of great accuracy and quality. I was also happy to learn through my reading that the match-grade barrel, slide, and frame are all hammer-forged steel. Since all 3 have the serial number on them they are supposed to be hand fit together.

I ordered it last week from bud's ($589 shipped), and got it this last thursday. It was really dirty looking so I took it all apart (EVERYTHING: hammer, trigger, mag release, extractor, etc., though I didn't find any gunk in the deep internals really and i think a normal field strip would have sufficed) and cleaned it all with some remoil to get out the packing grease and any metal filings from fitting, and last night I was able to take it out and shoot it.

After two magazines of FMJ I thought i'd try the HST's to see if it would cycle hollow points (as many people have complained that their 1911's WON'T cycle HP without using some aftermarket mags or taking it to multiple gunsmith's that equaled big $ and an even bigger headache). I loaded up 8+1 in the factory mags and they all cycled like a champ!

All total I shot about 150 of .45 FMJ and 4 magazines of HST hollow points without any problems whatsoever. The gun seemed to be extremely accurate with both rounds. I wasn't at a range with set targets at perfect-set distances or something where I could see my groups, but blowing up clay pigeons and water bottles strewn about the hillside at random distances from about 5-25 yards was no problem at all and I felt very comfortable shooting this gun. Gun mag reviews I had read usually had reported their actual groupings at 2-3 inches at 25 yards.

I can't say anything about the durability of the gun, as I have only shot just under 200 rounds with it, but from what I have read i don't anticipate that being a huge issue.

The only negative thing about the gun so far from my POV is the ugly hammer safety it has on it. But seeing as I will never use this feature and knowing that I can replace the hammer someday if it bothers me bad enough, I can't complain about it too much.

Honestly, in my experience so far, the value for this can't be beat and I cannot say enough positive things about this gun. If any of you are looking for a 1911 that won't break the bank and will accurately shoot hollow point ammo without needing further work, I would recommend taking a closer look at the Taurus PT1911.

No, i'm sure it's not as dead-on accurate or pretty as a custom $2000 Les Baer, but my experience with this has been very positive and if it keeps performing like it did in my first outing, I will need to find a nice IWB holster for it as it will become my new EDC.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ugly Tall Texan
    Congrats on a good choice. Now you need some snazzy grips.
    I do need to find some nice grips now! I don't hate the factory ones, they are a little sharp is my only complaint, but since i have the option of pretty much endless customization on the 1911 platform I may as well make this thing as sweet as I can!

My other carry gun which I absolutely love is a baby desert eagle (cz/jericho clone) in .40, but there's pretty much nothing available for that as far as customization goes.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by BigSkiff
    Congrats on the new 1911 and on cleaning it before you shot it! They are a great gun to shoot. I love mine. One word of caution though, they can lead to some rather large ammo purchases just to satisfy your desire to shoot the 1911! Enjoy your new pistol and post some picturesd of it whan you get time!
    Agreed! luckily I had some Cabela's gift cards that I used up on all of the FMJ ammo for it and will need to squirrel away some more $$ to keep feeding it.

Member Emeritus 1946-2018
    Member #
    Liked
    27596 times

Quote Originally Posted by olfarhors

when you get a chance post a few pictures of her, perhaps you could talk millpro into buying one of them as well!

He wants one hes just to shy to admit it.
    "Dawggone it", olfarhors! There you go again...

Since January, I've done "scratched the itch" for four new Taurus handguns... ...and I've still "got the "itch" for a 709 Slim, and a black stainless TCP because of you!

I can't pin the urge for a pink TCP on you, however, cause Jestmaty is to "blame" for that itch.

Millennium G2 PT111
    Millennium G2 PT140
    PT92 ----- TCP PT738

Proudly Served
    US Army / Army Reserve / Mississippi State Guard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links