Magazine fix for 1911...maybe!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Magazine fix for 1911...maybe!

Member #
    Liked
    5960 times

Magazine fix for 1911...maybe!

I decided to see if I could figure out once and for all why my original 1911 Taurus magazines couldn’t be loaded to capacity. Well one would, but the other one wouldn’t, which was even more puzzling. So with new ones on the way from WC, I decided to pull them apart last night and do some serious forensics on them to determine the cause.

I’m a mechanical designer by trade, so I kept telling myself there HAS to be some fundamental difference in the two. I started by disassembling both and examining first the springs. There was nothing odd about them and they appeared to be identical in length. So next I compared the shape and dimensions of the followers and there was where I found what I believed to be the problem.

The follower from the bad magazine fit more loosely “front to back” than the other follower, so I came to the conclusion that the “legs” of the follower were somehow interfering with the spring, or binding against the sides of the magazine on those last one or two rounds. Actually, I could load the eighth round, but it wouldn’t engage the magazine catch if the slide was closed.

Solution: I very gently bent the forward leg of the follower ever so slightly toward the front, closing the tolerance and adjusting the fit of the follower within the magazine. I used the good one as a model and stopped when the fit seemed right and the geometry of the two pieces looked identical. Once I got a nice smooth fit, I reassembled it, loaded all eight rounds in the magazine and rammed it home on the first try. I couldn’t believe the difference and now I have two perfectly functioning magazines from Taurus with the other two on the way. I might do a little micro-polishing on the followers as well, just to get rid of the rough edges.

If you’re handy with tools and run across the same situation, you might want to give this a try. If anyone is interested, I can post some pictures in a couple of days.
    I'll give you to the count of three to get off my property...one, two, BANG!

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re: Magazine fix for 1911...maybe!

Interesting... Thanks for sharing. This will should be valuable information for others with similar problems. Pics would be real nice though.
    Galatians 2:20

My Collection:
    Taurus 24/7 Pro 9mm
    Taurus PT1911SS .45ACP
    Ruger GP100 SS 4" .357 Mag
    Walther P22 .22LR

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

I replaced my followers with some that fit tighter. My problem was the extended slise stop would not lock slide on last round. The followers I got fixed it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks for the advice....

Member #
    Liked
    5960 times

You can't really tell much from the photos other than the fact that one follower is polished and the other is not, but the polishing really makes a heck of a difference. I may have other issues with the magazine when it goes to the range, but for now I'm satisfied with how it feels.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    I'll give you to the count of three to get off my property...one, two, BANG!

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    I am having the same problem with one of my mags that came with my new pt1911 9mm. I am very new to handguns and I assume the "follower" is the piece at the top of the empty mag? Mine are plastic...... I assume they went to plastic later than this post as my 9mm is newer. Is there a fix for this if the follower is plastic?

Member #
    Liked
    27675 times
    Quote Originally Posted by slackomatic View Post
    I am having the same problem with one of my mags that came with my new pt1911 9mm.
    what exact same problem??
    will not load to capacity?
    slide will not lock open on empty magazine?
    magazine rattles and follower is loose?
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olfarhors View Post
    what exact same problem??
    will not load to capacity?
    slide will not lock open on empty magazine?
    magazine rattles and follower is loose?
    It seems to be the same problem. Of course I am new to handguns and dont know that much yet. But I noticed 1 of my mags doesn't want to take the full capacity and latch into the gun. I have messed with it a little to try and figure out the problem. I can force the 9th round into the mag but it will not latch into the gun. It will go in fine and operate fine with 8 in the mag. I tryed 2 different rounds some standard 115 grain blazer target rounds and hornady defense rounds. Both had the same effect. So I thought maybe its new and the spring needs to break in. So i tryed both types of rounds in the 2nd mag. All 9 went in fine and latched into the gun no problem. Once I get the either mag into the gun, everything seems to work fine, slide latches on empty no rattles that I can tell in the mag. I even found a post some were that showed me how to take the mag apart and I didnt find anything that my NEWBIE eyes thought was out of place.

Member #
    Liked
    27675 times
    you likly have identified the problem! its a new magazine!
    so are saying with the slide locked back and the magazine fully loaded that the magazine will not lock into the weapon?
    or will it not lock into the weapon with a fully loaded magazine and the slide closed?
    My suggestion is to fully load the magazine and let them remained loaded for a few days and then see if that doesn't corect the problem.
    it does not hurt a magazine at all to leave it fully loaded by the way!
    I have got mamy 1911 magazines that have been loaded for years and years and they operate perfectly, the only time they are unloaded is when i shoot them empty at the range.
    let us know in a few days if this doesn't cure the problem!
    The magazine disassembly should be straight forward, look at the base plate , there should be a tab sticking out in the middle of the plate, push it in, push the base plate to the front (be careful as its under spring pressure), thats all there is to it.
    Last edited by olfarhors; 02-05-2012 at 03:03 PM.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    The mag with the problem will latch in fine with the slide locked back. And it will take that the round and chamber it fine as well. The mag just will not latch into the gun with the slide forward. The 2nd mag will latch in fine.

Ok thanks for the info on leaving the mag loaded. I did think leaving them loaded would cause the spring to weakin over time. I only have the good one loaded as of now but I will stuff the other mag and leave it a while and see what happens. Thanks for taking the time to help me with this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links