Taurus Firearm Forum banner

How many rounds of Ammo do you have on hand?

11K views 129 replies 85 participants last post by  OKNewshawk 
#1 · (Edited)
I've got 2 .357 magnum handguns, 2 .22 caliber rifles and a 12 gauge shotgun.

I'd estimate I've got about 500 rounds between these guns on hand.

How much do you have?

#3 ·
Not nearly enough. There are a couple of my latest acquisitions that I still haven't gotten ammo for. Most of what I need is hard to find and/or kinda' pricey so until I hit the lottery, I won't be stockpilin' much.

Reactions: tx_d
#5 ·
That is a very small amount. I daresay I am at the lower end of the folks on this forum but I've got over 5000 rounds in .22 alone. Another 3000 or more in .223.

Reactions: Backpacker
#8 ·
Hmmm. Well, I don't have a set limit or requirement. I live in an urban area in a single family house. I would estimate that I probably have around 500 rounds in each of the following calibers:
.223/.556
.22LR
.38SPL
9mm
40S&W

For me, mobility is a premium. If I have to leave the city, there is no way I could take thousands of rounds of ammo. I would never drive around hundreds of rounds of ammunition and multiple guns in my car... just in case I need to leave town. I would probably not survive a traffic stop with all that firepower.

My current thinking is that i probably need to be prepared to take my Ruger SR9c and Ruger PC Carbine and a full ammo box if I need to leave in a hurry.

Of course, I would prefer my AR-15 with a tactical vest stuffed full.

If you aren't prepared to leave your stash, then you are stuck defending it. Wait until an angry mob storms your house. A strong neighborhood plan with multiple players protecting each other would be ideal, but who has "ideal". Defending a farmhouse "fortress" may also have power, but ammo is not your own problem.

I realize the original question didn't ask about why you would have lots of ammo. The only other reason to hoard it is to protect yourself against shortages. Most shortages are started by hoarding... just saying.

#49 ·
I have a bunch of ammo and several guns. However, if I needed to get gone in a hurry, I got a bag with the goodies I will need, food water, ammo, small arms, and the rest of the gear is in the vehicle stored. Figure if I have to ditch the house, all is lost and everything needs to be destroyed that's not hidden suffiently. Duffle bag, check, Vest check, ruck sack check.

#9 ·
If I went out to my truck, I'd probably find at least 3,500 rounds of 9mm and 2,500 in .22, and all this is range ammo for practice.

When the .22 shortage was going on, I found I had 28,000 rounds I had bought over the years, and I kept finding more in cabinets and my closet. The total count was well over 40,000 for .22. I finished up shooting ammo I had bought at Montgomery Wards, Conley's, and Rinks two years ago. Any time there was a sale, and a brick was around $12 or less, I'd buy a couple. During the shortage, I only bought ammo for my suppressor use.

Right now, I really need to go shooting. I still have 5.56 I paid $2.85 a box for USA and PMC.

Maloy

#13 ·
I really don't have a clue but I have plenty of .223, 300 BLK, 45 ACP and 9mm. Meaning that if I went to the range for 6 hours I wouldn't run out. I am very low on .380 Auto, OK on 44 Magnum but could use more (I think) and .32 Winchester Special 45-70 Govt are lean but I don't shoot those much and have plenty of components to load hundreds. Shotgun shell inventory is adequate for the small amount that I shoot in slugs, buck and birdshot. I don't reload those.

The .357 Magnum is pricey enough to start to consider hand loading if you shoot a few hundred per month.

#14 ·
The ammo I have that's under a 500 count are:
380 auto, only about 350-400
17 WSM - maybe 490
300 blackout - less than 125 ( new gun)
12GA - maybe 275
Everything else is WELL over 500

#15 ·
Probably somewhere around 3,000 to 4,000 rounds. .22, .22mag, .380acp, 9mm, .40 S&W, .45acp, .38spl., .357mag., .45 Colt, 12 gauge, .223 and 5.56. No where near enough.

Reactions: darbo and Czechbikr
#19 ·
A few years back during three consequative rainy days I was bored and inventoried all my ammo. I entered it all on a spreadsheet on the computer. Since then I've shot some and bought some and the spreadsheet is now in the plus or minus range. In other words, it's not too accurate. I've still got enough in all the calibers that I shoot often to handle the first few days of a minor zombie apocalypse. I probably should inventory it all again but I just can't seem to able to force myself to do it. Until then, "enough" is as close as I can come to a hard and fast number.

#24 ·
I haven't bought any ammo in over a year. I don't think I went to the range at all last year- I've been under the weather for a while (getting better though).

BUT...on the ammo?.....I'm probably down below 4k all around. Mostly 9mm, 380, 223, 22.
I buy ALL of my ammo online- its much cheaper! Even though you can get a good buy at Walmart on occasion.

I saw S&B 9mm the other day for $170 delivered to your door. Thats $8.50 per box for just about the best ammo you can buy. Thats not weak, cheap, range ammo - its high quality and runs 1280 fps.

Target Sports has it for $8.49.....free shipping on a case = $169.80 delivered to your door.
Other dealers have it for as low as $7.19/box, but shipping puts it near $200.

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/sellier-bellot-9mm-luger-ammo-115-gr-fmj-sb9a-p-3541.aspx

#27 ·
I have no idea. To be honest, I don't really keep track. I just buy ammo as often as I can afford to and leave it at that.

I should probably have more than I do though, you can never have too much ammo, right? ;)

#28 ·
Who wants to know?......and why??? I.D. please.....and be aware that this is being video taped in the interest of accuracy and training purposes for the Michigan militia....
Now...what was the question?

Reactions: TheOldRedneck
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.