REVIEW: Alien Gear Original Cloak Tuck IWB Holster
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By brotherbrian

Thread: REVIEW: Alien Gear Original Cloak Tuck IWB Holster

Member #
    Liked
    2598 times

REVIEW: Alien Gear Original Cloak Tuck IWB Holster

Okay, I'm still waiting for my Cloak Tuck 2.0 IWB and my OWB Alien Gear Slide Holster, so I thought I'd do a write-up review on the one I have been wearing for a couple months now.

First of all, Let me say that this is my first hybrid style IWB holster. It is not really a Kydex shell, apparently, but is a type of molded plastic. It definitely seems durable. Getting a proper retention fit is a bit of an endeavor, but is worth the trouble. The leather backing seems to be a decent quality leather, although I would have gone maybe a little thicker to prevent the leather from bending as much at the sweat shield. But this is more of a "big guy" issue, and not a "construction" issue. I was surprised to find that the screw backs actually barely contact my skin, if at all. I was thinking that the metal on skin would at least be annoying, and may lead to rust, but have had neither issue so far. And I can work up a sweat, let me tell you.

I might recommend that they cut the backing to include more of the grip of the pistol, because I did find that the pistol grip tends to rub my side when I'm sitting or moving around.

I LOVE the adjustable height/cant feature. I keep mine as far down as I can wear it, with the plastic shell hovering just even with the top of my pants. I keep the cant at the factory standard, both clips on the same hole. I have had zero problems with the clips so far. They don't even scratch my leather belt when putting on/taking off. And this holster stays where you put it. No sliding around on the belt at all. I used to carry IWB with just a single clip leather holster with a thumb break (a Tagua 4-in-1). This did the job, but it invariably left an imprint of the 4-in-1 leather backside in my skin, which can irritate to no end. No such problems with the Alien Gear holster.

For retention, I use the smallest rubber washers on the trigger guard side, and the next thickness up for the slide side. This gives me good retention at the trigger, but loose enough fit that it doesn't deform the leather out the back side as badly. I like the pistol to "click" into place when holstering, and to get that it has to be pretty tight. But this tightness causes the leather to push out in back, so it's not really getting any tighter. I think I have a happy medium. Plus this gives me an idea for my own line of holsters......

Anyway, while other manufacturers are asking $50-$100 or more for essentially the same holster, the Alien Gear 1.0 is a steal at 29.95. Black costs about $5 more, I think. I do like that their product is guaranteed for life, and I was told my a young lady that answered their phone that it is replaceable as long as you own it. Leather, shell, screws, washers, anything. Also, they will swap out shells for you for free if you decide to carry a different gun in the Alien Gear. There are limits I'm sure.... like you can't go from a Taurus 709, and expect a Judge shell to fit the same leather. The leather in back still has to accommodate the new pistol, I assume.

This holster really holds the pistol tight to the body. carrying a pt145, I cant even see the butt poking out when I'm just wearing a t-shirt. This could also be due to the "big guy" thing, who knows. I generally wear an overshirt anyway to ensure no printing. With any pistol in any holster.

Well, that's it for this write up. I will contrast and compare the Cloak Tuck 1.0 to the 2.0 and the OWB holster.... when they finally get here..... I got an email from them essentially saying "Dont worry, we havent forgotten about cha! We dont have any info about yer order, but we just wanted you to know that were still thinkin aboutcha!"
    MilProGuy likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    good to know.

So i guess the 4-6 week back order on the cloak tuck 2.0 is still in effect?

Member Emeritus 1946-2018
    Member #
    Liked
    27597 times
    Thank you for sharing your stellar review of your Alien Gear holster.

I give mine a double thumb's up, as well!

Name:  Millennium G2 PT111 in Alien Gear IWB Holster (1).JPG
Views: 1140
Size:  136.9 KB

Millennium G2 PT111
    Millennium G2 PT140
    PT92 ----- TCP PT738

Proudly Served
    US Army / Army Reserve / Mississippi State Guard

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2598 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd_Clark View Post
    good to know.

So i guess the 4-6 week back order on the cloak tuck 2.0 is still in effect?
    Looks like, I ordered mine on 9-22-14. I will update on avg. delivery time after I receive it. My first one came it at right at 4 wks.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Is the new 2.0 neoprene? I wonder if that smells from the sweat after a while?

Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    I love 'em! I just ordered my 5th (2nd 3.0) and would not wear any other IWB holster. My only complaint is that they don't have one for my Taurus PT945.

Member #
    Liked
    3356 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rberscheid View Post
    Is the new 2.0 neoprene? I wonder if that smells from the sweat after a while?
    I haven't had any issue with mine and wore it all summer long with cargo shorts with/without a shirt in between.
    Life is full of give and take. Give thanks and take nothing for granted!

YOT
    Member #
    Liked
    3570 times
    Nice review.

I'm sticking with my CrossBreed, though. I, too, wear it so the Kydex shell is even with the top of the waistband. The difference is the leather on the CrossBreed is higher, and therefore a layer between the beltclip and skin/t-shirt./underwear.

Even then the leather doesn't cover the clip entirely.

"It isn't always being fast or even accurate that counts, it's being willing. I found out early that most men regardless of cause or need aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger and I won't." - The Shootist (John Wayne)

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links