I shot 2 magazines today, no problem.
Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By car5car
  • 5 Post By Qwiks draw
  • 1 Post By unclenunzie
  • 2 Post By olfarhors
  • 3 Post By oldtimer

Thread: I shot 2 magazines today, no problem.

Member #
    Liked
    17 times

I shot 2 magazines today, no problem.

Little toy worked fine. Is 2 mag enough to check?
    darbo likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    9194 times
    I suggest that at least about 100-200 rounds go down range, but then your gun might not need a break in. It is a good idea to shoot 50 rounds or so of your defense ammo through your gun just to make sure the ammo works in your example of the pistol.

Member #
    Liked
    258 times
    I would add that when you shoot your defensive ammo to test for function, take note of the lot number(s) that run well, and save some of those for carry. Some will shoot all but one magazine's worth out of a 50 round box and carry what's left.
    Czechbikr likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    28226 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwiks draw View Post
    I suggest that at least about 100-200 rounds go down range, but then your gun might not need a break in. It is a good idea to shoot 50 rounds or so of your defense ammo through your gun just to make sure the ammo works in your example of the pistol.
    I normally run 500 rounds ( likely 300 or so range ammo) or very close through any new weapon before it goes into carry, course I tend to own a carry gun for a long time as well. and I run somewhere between 5-8 different defensive loads out of the gun to check for function.
    virtually every weapon runs on all of them and then I have bunches of choices to make, course I am a savage and run my reloads as defense rounds as well.
    oldtimer and Taurus1965 like this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    204 times
    I simply will not carry a new gun unless I've fired 400-500 rounds through it if I have some failures to fire I will not carry that gun unless I have solved the problem. I need complete trust in the weapon, far too many variables in a self defense situation need to remove as many as possible.

Member #
    Liked
    112 times
    There have been quite a few threads about certain features of the Spectrum which may bode ill. There are threads in this forum section with pictures of both problematic and normal Spectrums that cover the two areas to check, listed below.

Two of the most easily assessed items are:
    1.) Check the breech face for an excessively chamfered firing pin hole.
    2.) Check the spent casings for typically deep marks from the firing pin on the primer or for bulging primers (see above).

Otherwise, I'd keep running some varied ammunition through the wee gun, and take note of what types do well and which do not. As mentioned above, definitely take a moment and try out your chosen defensive ammunition, in addition to your regular range selection.

My two cents, as always.

Sponsored Links