Anyone Make a Captive Recoil Spring Assembly for the Spectrum?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Anyone Make a Captive Recoil Spring Assembly for the Spectrum?

Member #
    Liked
    6 times

Anyone Make a Captive Recoil Spring Assembly for the Spectrum?

The Spectrum has been out for a little while and seems to be pretty popular. Looking at reviews, the same few complaints keep coming up. Perhaps the biggest one is the recoil spring. I've seen people struggle with it during reassembly. People wonder why it wasn't made captive from the factory. Well, I've seen this with other popular handguns over the years. In some cases, a third party will develop a captive recoil spring assembly. So is anyone doing that for the Spectrum yet?

Member #
    Liked
    1313 times
    I've been looking. I can "barely" reassemble the gun. I need one (captured guide rod and spring) badly.

My hands are getting weak.

It's the only gun I have with which I struggle.

I do have many other guns that don't have captured springs, but the Taurus has the long, flat, stiff but floppy spring design. Others have traditional round springs that seem to compress more easily on the rod.

The flat spring also is super sharp at each end where is was cut.
    Last edited by IowaShooter; 02-11-2020 at 04:12 AM.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    45441 times
    Since the model is reportedly being discontinued, it may be a long shot that anyone will expend time and energy to work on any aftermarket parts.
    oso likes this.
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    35817 times
    A guy could prob'ly just grind a small groove in the rod and install an e-clip but you'd need to know the exact travel length for placement.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Member #
    Liked
    28223 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Czechbikr View Post
    Since the model is reportedly being discontinued, it may be a long shot that anyone will expend time and energy to work on any aftermarket parts.
    ahh--YES SIR!
    one of the reasons that no (not many) aftermarket companies will spend the resources and money to manufacture/develop aftermarket parts for the tauri!
    can't recoop their money.
    oso likes this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I'm sure that a screwdriver or something similar could be fed through the spring to guide it. However, I'd prefer to have a captive spring assembly. It's just so much easier. They can also be made to improve function and longevity, such as with the DPM or Sprinco systems.

So is the Spectrum definitely discontinued? I know they can be found for a song but prices have come down on a lot of polymer .380 pocket guns. It would be a shame to lose the prettiest one on the market.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3905 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmodragoon View Post
    I'm sure that a screwdriver or something similar could be fed through the spring to guide it. However, I'd prefer to have a captive spring assembly. It's just so much easier. They can also be made to improve function and longevity, such as with the DPM or Sprinco systems.

So is the Spectrum definitely discontinued? I know they can be found for a song but prices have come down on a lot of polymer .380 pocket guns. It would be a shame to lose the prettiest one on the market.
    There are still twelve Spectrum models on the TaurusUSA web site, so they aren't at the moment.

Just what IS a captive spring? Is that one where it sits on a rod with end-caps on both ends?
    loudviking and Sid_Matheny like this.

Member #
    Liked
    731 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olfarhors View Post
    ahh--YES SIR!
    one of the reasons that no (not many) aftermarket companies will spend the resources and money to manufacture/develop aftermarket parts for the tauri!
    can't recoop their money.
    I’ve often wondered if the plural would be Taurus, Tauruses, or Taurii.
    I don’t know what my spirit animal might be, but I’m pretty sure it has rabies.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment does not grant the right to bear arms, that right is inherent. The Second Amendment prohibits the government from infringing upon that right.

Member #
    Liked
    731 times
    I don’t have a spectrum, so forgive the silly question - is there another model’s RSA with similar measurments that would work? I see on Lakeline’s web page they have the type setup you’re looking for available for the tx22. (Maybe Al could do a one-off for you).
    I don’t know what my spirit animal might be, but I’m pretty sure it has rabies.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment does not grant the right to bear arms, that right is inherent. The Second Amendment prohibits the government from infringing upon that right.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaBravoKS View Post
    There are still twelve Spectrum models on the TaurusUSA web site, so they aren't at the moment.

Just what IS a captive spring? Is that one where it sits on a rod with end-caps on both ends?
    Yes. Here are some examples for other Taurus Pistols:

https://lakelinellc.com/product-cate...ess-guide-rods

Notice that they can include multiple springs. The DPM and Sprinco systems I mentioned use graduated spring tension to dampen recoil. Sprinco makes a few for other Taurus pistols. You can see their site here:

https://www.sprinco.com/recoil.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links