Anyone Make a Captive Recoil Spring Assembly for the Spectrum? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Anyone Make a Captive Recoil Spring Assembly for the Spectrum?

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3290 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmodragoon View Post
    Yes. Here are some examples for other Taurus Pistols:

https://lakelinellc.com/product-cate...ess-guide-rods

Notice that they can include multiple springs. The DPM and Sprinco systems I mentioned use graduated spring tension to dampen recoil. Sprinco makes a few for other Taurus pistols. You can see their site here:

https://www.sprinco.com/recoil.html
    Okay, thanks, that's what I figured. I'm not a "gun guy" (and I don't play one on the Internet) so I wanted to be sure. I have Tauruses with both captive and non-captive so I guess now I can at least talk the game.

Good luck finding something, but if you do, please post a follow up here with the details so the next poor guy that comes along doesn't have to retrace your steps.
    Cosmodragoon likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    27525 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post
    I’ve often wondered if the plural would be Taurus, Tauruses, or Taurii.
    YEP!!
    just like Gooses!!!
    except different.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    100 times
    Recoil spring install has been discussed in other threads, I responded then that I use a 22 Caliber Cleaning Rod to hold the spring straight as I install it. The Recoil Rod pushes the Cleaning Rod out as you install the spring.

It is not a great way, but works better than trying to do it without a Cleaning Rod.

That does not answer OP question about an after market captured spring, doubt ever find one to fit.

PS: MY EXPERIENCE with a Spectrum. It has been excellent after two trips to TAURUS for repairs of Fail To Fire and Lock Back Slide when firing. Excellent until lately when I had a couple failures (A Fail to Fire and Fail To Feed).

Fail to Feed after I modified the feed ramp (shaped a slight "U" into the edge of the ramp). That helped Fail To Feed, but this one had the projectile lodged into the ramp at a point on the projectile above the center of the projectile (NO WAY THAT WOULD LOAD).

It's not an uncommon problem (along with all the other Spectrum Issues) and seems to be due to the bullet coming out of the MAG at too horizontal a position, so hits the feed ramp (projectile hits feed ramp at just below center of projectile or above center of projectile).

I think my Modification of the feed ramp (Making it U shaped) solves the problem of projectile hitting feed ramp below center, but not if it hits above center.

SPECTRUM is fun to shoot, but I would not buy one (too many issues and 380 AMMO costs more than 9MM for practice).
    Name:  DSCN9726.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  74.1 KB
    Name:  DSCN9728.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  124.5 KB

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulTaurus View Post
    Recoil spring install has been discussed in other threads, I responded then that I use a 22 Caliber Cleaning Rod to hold the spring straight as I install it. The Recoil Rod pushes the Cleaning Rod out as you install the spring.

It is not a great way, but works better than trying to do it without a Cleaning Rod.

That does not answer OP question about an after market captured spring, doubt ever find one to fit.

PS: MY EXPERIENCE with a Spectrum. It has been excellent after two trips to TAURUS for repairs of Fail To Fire and Lock Back Slide when firing. Excellent until lately when I had a couple failures (A Fail to Fire and Fail To Feed).

Fail to Feed after I modified the feed ramp (shaped a slight "U" into the edge of the ramp). That helped Fail To Feed, but this one had the projectile lodged into the ramp at a point on the projectile above the center of the projectile (NO WAY THAT WOULD LOAD).

It's not an uncommon problem (along with all the other Spectrum Issues) and seems to be due to the bullet coming out of the MAG at too horizontal a position, so hits the feed ramp (projectile hits feed ramp at just below center of projectile or above center of projectile).

I think my Modification of the feed ramp (Making it U shaped) solves the problem of projectile hitting feed ramp below center, but not if it hits above center.

SPECTRUM is fun to shoot, but I would not buy one (too many issues and 380 AMMO costs more than 9MM for practice).
    Name:  DSCN9726.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  74.1 KB
    Name:  DSCN9728.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  124.5 KB
    I just picked up a brand new Spectrum today, took it home and disassembled it to clean it up before going to the range to try it out. I now cannot get the recoil spring and guide back into the weapon, I have watched several disasemby and re-assembly videos and nothing works, I now have sore thumbs from trying to the guide rod spring into the weapon, the spring keeps popping out and bending in half. I tried using a wooden dowel like you are using the .22 cleaning rod and still to no avail, the spring just bunches up about the last three coils and refuses to go into place.

I have owned probably 40 other semi-autos and never, ever had this kind of problem. I think the recoil spring in the gun maybe the wrong size as the length on mine looks different and longer. Mine has a flay spring 3-1/2" long, is that the same size as yours?

20200304_164057_resized by Charles Ford, on Flickr
    Last edited by Chazman1946; 03-04-2020 at 07:24 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Finally after about a two hour try, and putting on leather gloves to have my thumbs, I was finally able to get the gun put back together. Will shoot it tommorrow and see if a hundred rounds or so losens up the spring.

Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    95% of pistol feed problems are caused by the magazine. I had the same problem with my Kahr P380 and a K9. The fix for the K9 was a set of Wolff springs for the mags. Wolff does not make springs for the P380. However, my contact at Wolff said to use KeltecP3AT springs. They fit and worked fine in the Kahr. When my 7 round Spectrum acted up I put a Keltec spring in it and it worked fine. A set of 3 P3AT springs at Wolff cost $17.29.
    oldtimer likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    190 times
    Agree, another item many forget to clean mags even when new they are full of dirt/grease cause springs to not function correct.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy in texas View Post
    95% of pistol feed problems are caused by the magazine. I had the same problem with my Kahr P380 and a K9. The fix for the K9 was a set of Wolff springs for the mags. Wolff does not make springs for the P380. However, my contact at Wolff said to use KeltecP3AT springs. They fit and worked fine in the Kahr. When my 7 round Spectrum acted up I put a Keltec spring in it and it worked fine. A set of 3 P3AT springs at Wolff cost $17.29.

Member #
    Liked
    100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazman1946 View Post
    Finally after about a two hour try, and putting on leather gloves to have my thumbs, I was finally able to get the gun put back together. Will shoot it tommorrow and see if a hundred rounds or so losens up the spring.
    Glad you got it together.

SUGGEST: Try the 22 Cleaning Rod Method (short one is easier to handle). Put Cleaning rod in from the front into the spring and let the Recoil Rod push the Cleaning Rod out as you push the Recoil Rod and Spring into position.

As far as Feed Problems with the Spectrum: My opinion it is not the typical thing of cleaning MAGS, or Cleaning the Gun, IT IS a Design thing with the Bullets coming out of the MAG too Horizontal and often wedging into the Feed Ramp (as I showed in pictures). Before I modified the Feed Ramp Edge, I had bullets wedge into the Feed Ramp at a point below the center of the bullet. DANG, would think those would feed on up. However, I think the Ramp Lower Edge is too flat and too sharp.

SOOOO, I modified the Feed Ramp Lower Edge by giving it a slight "u" shape when viewed from above. That allows the bullet to go on up the ramp (AS LONG AS It DOES NOT Hit THE RAMP at a point ABOVE the CENTER POINT of the PROJECTILE) When it hits above the Center Point as in my picture, IT AIN'T GOING UP THE RAMP.

BTW, Last time at the range -- shot 40 rounds with no FAILURES.
    Some of that shooting was Pick Gun Up off Bench, Point / Aim and Shoot (like defense shooting).
    Name:  IMG_20200308_152317_LI.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  52.6 KB

Member #
    Liked
    190 times
    I polish most of my feed ramps always seem to help, another issue with today's ammo market the OAL(overall length) seems to vary, on some guns this will cause fed problems, the micro guns tend to prefer a particular brand of ammo as someone who reloads I find what the gun likes and reload to that. In my opinion quality control of commercial ammo is poor especially the lower cost brands.

Member #
    Liked
    27525 times
    HMMM? I guess experiences differ?
    I own (and shoot) a Sig Sauer 238, a Sig 365, and a Springfield Armory XDS in 9 MM, I consider as I think most all would these to be mini pistols?
    anyway they run on a wide variety of different factory and reload self defense rounds as well as range loads.
    now the Taurus TCP won't do this, actually tis so inconsistent it hasn't been out of the safe in a few years now.. and yes it ahs been back to the mothership twice.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links