Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Spectrum's future?

13K views 70 replies 30 participants last post by  Jim_Nazium 
#1 ·
I had the opportunity to speak with a Taurus factory representative today at the Great American Outdoors Show in Harrisburg PA. I noted that the Spectrum was not on display (as it has been the past few years). The rep stated that while Taurus supposedly has enough parts pre-made and in-stock to make more Spectrums, the company does not anticipate continuing production at this time. Apparently, this is largely in response to the bargain-basement Spectrum prices lately (his opinion or fact, I'm not sure). The fellow did go on to express some regret with the direction of Taurus as he likes Spectrum on a personal-use level.

Our mileage may vary, but I thought it interesting [though not unexpected] news from the Taurus factory rep and wished to share.

#3 ·
As an early adopter of the Spectrum, I had expressed hope that Taurus would release a Spectrum II (a new model where the light strike issue had been resolved, and possibly with a few other minor improvements). I still say that it is the best ergonomically designed mini-pistol ever made (for my hand, anyway). It's too bad the reliability wasn't there. Now, it is likely too late. The gun's reputation precedes it.

#20 ·
I have one of the later Spectrums ($119.99) and it has had not issues of any kind. For me, the reliability is there and I like it very much.

Good guns are being made at lower and lower prices. In addition to the $119.99 Spectrum I bought last summer, I bought a SCCY CPX-2 (10 shot 9mm) for $134.99 after rebate plus $12.99 shipping. Both have been flawless and the total cost of both added together is less than other brands I have that are no better.

#5 ·
It's a t'was ever thus' of the human race...:dunno:...when they've finally got somethin' good and that really works, they have to do away with it. This is why all of the ancient, so-called advanced civilizations became extinct. I've had two small glitches with mine, a few light strikes and several FTL, at first. For the light strikes, I switched ammo and haven't had one since. The FTL was my own doing, finally realized the top round in the mag wasn't fully seated. In both mags, the last round goes in kinda' hard and occasionally I failed to push it all the way back. It was barely noticeable, maybe .020" but it was just enough to cause it to snag on the ramp. Since I began paying attention to that, it hasn't happened again.

#7 ·
I got mine at RK, on sale for $119 but $140 out the door. I checked today and it varies by color but they were much higher priced and all colors were sold out.

#10 ·
#14 ·
If you should happen to see that Taurus rep again, would you ask him if/when they might introduce/reintroduce a striker-fired .45 ACP?

#16 ·
agreed!
one might be better advised to invest in Pork Futures than Taurus increase in price.
ever see the price of a used Taurus?
But hey I do have a couple of barely used New York Bridges that I would let go for a reasonable price.

Reactions: oso
#18 ·
I knew the Spectrum was going to be discontinued when the LGS was selling them for $119 the last couple of months until the ran out. Now if they made the Spectrum with Lexan inserts in non stress areas of the slide and frame and then bend the pistol a little they might be on to something :eek:

#19 ·
Nice on the heads up Had a Spectrum in my hands 2-7-20 my PT132 spoke to me, Support is no longer there, I passed wanting the .357/9mm revolver (not glad) I have a collection of Taurus Semis of course no support there either. UUUGGGHHHH

#22 ·
well that kind of depends ,at least in these parts.
for example the Pico mentioned never has been a very good seller here, as I understand not great seller much of anywhere?
of course weapons that are older discontinued models or even models that are fairly current but being discontinued have reduced prices to clear them off the distributors shelves.
but look at others like the Kimber 380, Sig 238, even the Springfield Armory 911 and they are holding their pricing and resale quite well in these parts.
kel tec and SCCY seem to be pretty stable in their prices as well here.

#24 ·
Not a fan of 380s (Ammo cost VS 9MM and not that much difference in carry or shooting).

That said, I bought a Spectrum when doing a trade in (Hi-Point 380) thinking I might want to Pocket Carry the Spectrum some time and the Hi-Point not much good for carry.

Anyway, had problems with the Spectrum sent back to TAURUS twice (once for Fail to Fire, seemed to be fixed), then developed a Lock Back while Shooting (they fixed that - and changed the striker assy's as well). In other words Taurus fixed both issues.

Gun has been reliable since (except last time at the range, I had a stove pipe).

I do like shooting it and seems very accurate (for defense situation - never really tested it for target shooting other than free hand with aim vs point / aim). It seems accurate despite the Trigger Pull (scratchy and some force).

I would shoot it more, but hate paying price for extra AMMO. Best I ever did was get some Federal 380 on the Black Friday Rebate Deal for like $0.20 (+ a bit) per round and same time the 9MM was $0.14 (+ a bit) per round.

Shoot a 100 rounds is $6 +/_ difference. :(

Guess I will keep it as not worth much sell or trade. My deal at trade was $169.99 price and $35 Rebate (so $134.99 plus tax difference on trade and background check). That was a couple years ago.

#25 ·
Gee, I'm still mourning the TCP 738 and here they go killing off it's replacement...but I did notice Bud's still has 738's, believe it or not. I think it's just a tough sales environment and maybe the G2 is at a price point where it's cannibalizing some Spectrum sales.

#28 ·
HMM? ok a friend wanted me to ask--SO exactly what happens after the first shot an the recoil re-arranges all that?
it must be true though cause I have seen in a lot of Army Movies.

#31 ·
As the first post stated: our mileage may vary. I merely posted what the factory representative mentioned when asked why Taurus is no longer including the Spectrum in their gun show line-up. I haven't a clue whether they are finishing out inventory or the rep misspoke (etc.).

Personally, I like the Spectrum. It's my EDC due to its ease of concealability and reasonable "point & shoot" accuracy. I am certainly in no rush to see it discontinued.

#33 ·
Not to worry. The new 2020 catalog is at odds with the Taurus site so the Spectrum very well may still be a cornerstone of .380 ACP pistols. While the catalog shows nothing in the way of .380 pistols, the Spectrum has been selling well enough and has a decent track record.

Taurus Armas and Taurus USA hold their cards close to their vest. Taurus is famous for changing things without announcements. They well may be doing their best to market new makes and models to the exclusion of all else. Makes sense. I need to revise one of my earlier statements and figure to just wait and see what's going on.

#35 ·
As per live chat with Taurus just now the Spectrum is not currently in production.
OK, I say we call Taurus and talk to 100 different operators( customer service techs), take what each says and then do a percentage of what they say and call that the truth!

#40 ·
AS I understand it they were Brazilian triplets that worked for Taurus.
Kind of like my three cousins named Darryl, Darryl and Darryl.

#41 ·
I have been interested in the Spectrum of about two months ago and Cabelas out here in Arizona never had them in stock. I went in there two days ago to pick up a Springfield 911 only to see a new Spectrum sitting right next to it in the display case, so I would guess Taurus is still making them to send out to the big box stores like Cabelas.

The 911 was on sale for $349 and I really, really wanted one, until I held it in my hand and found the ambidextrous safety bit my trigger finger on the other side of the gun when I depressed it with my left thumb. The salesman then wanted to sell me a non-ambidextrous Alpha model, for $399 but I wasn't going to pay another $50 more for a gun that didn't come with two magazines and night sights?

Picked up the Taurus instead and outside of the crappy sights and the horrific recoil spring that took me two hours to reassemble after cleaning it the first time, it's a shooter, without any hiccups.

I think a laser on this pistol will make all the difference in the world and I will get rid of my Ruger LCP II mounted with laser. The Spectrum fits my hand so much better and the recoil feels about 1/2 of the Ruger.

P.S. After the first 100 rounds the Recoil Spring is loosening up, it only took me 10 minutes to get it back into the pistol instead of the 2 hours the first time!

#42 ·
I think a laser on this pistol will make all the difference in the world and I will get rid of my Ruger LCP II mounted with laser. The Spectrum fits my hand so much better and the recoil feels about 1/2 of the Ruger.

P.S. After the first 100 rounds the Recoil Spring is loosening up, it only took me 10 minutes to get it back into the pistol instead of the 2 hours the first time!

I could be mistaken, but I believe that Taurus still offers a laser specific to the Spectrum (https://www.shoptaurus.com/accessor...-red-laser-sight-spectrum-retail-box-912-0009.) Also, interesting to note the break-in on the recoil spring. Very interesting, that.

Thanks for the update.

#43 ·
I knew that Spectrum had not been on the Taurus website, but when I checked today, it's back. Black and Stainless only.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.