Spectrum's future? - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Spectrum's future?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I have been interested in the Spectrum of about two months ago and Cabelas out here in Arizona never had them in stock. I went in there two days ago to pick up a Springfield 911 only to see a new Spectrum sitting right next to it in the display case, so I would guess Taurus is still making them to send out to the big box stores like Cabelas.

The 911 was on sale for $349 and I really, really wanted one, until I held it in my hand and found the ambidextrous safety bit my trigger finger on the other side of the gun when I depressed it with my left thumb. The salesman then wanted to sell me a non-ambidextrous Alpha model, for $399 but I wasn't going to pay another $50 more for a gun that didn't come with two magazines and night sights?

Picked up the Taurus instead and outside of the crappy sights and the horrific recoil spring that took me two hours to reassemble after cleaning it the first time, it's a shooter, without any hiccups.

I think a laser on this pistol will make all the difference in the world and I will get rid of my Ruger LCP II mounted with laser. The Spectrum fits my hand so much better and the recoil feels about 1/2 of the Ruger.

P.S. After the first 100 rounds the Recoil Spring is loosening up, it only took me 10 minutes to get it back into the pistol instead of the 2 hours the first time!
    loudviking likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    98 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazman1946 View Post
    I think a laser on this pistol will make all the difference in the world and I will get rid of my Ruger LCP II mounted with laser. The Spectrum fits my hand so much better and the recoil feels about 1/2 of the Ruger.

P.S. After the first 100 rounds the Recoil Spring is loosening up, it only took me 10 minutes to get it back into the pistol instead of the 2 hours the first time!

I could be mistaken, but I believe that Taurus still offers a laser specific to the Spectrum (https://www.shoptaurus.com/accessori...l-box-912-0009.) Also, interesting to note the break-in on the recoil spring. Very interesting, that.

Thanks for the update.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    17490 times
    I knew that Spectrum had not been on the Taurus website, but when I checked today, it's back. Black and Stainless only.
    Children, pets, and slaves get taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

When Democracy turns to Tyranny

I still plan to vote.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    132 times
    In my opinion, here is the reason for the Spectrum's uphill battle for relevance. Data is from 2015 and I don't see any .380's on the list.
    Name:  calibersfull.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  416.7 KB
    DeltaBravoKS likes this.
    PT-92, 100, 945, G2C 9mm, 66, & 605; just to name a few!

Member #
    Liked
    6541 times
    Yes, but that list is 5 years old and in that much time all the gun manufacturers how come out with their own version of the 380 caliber and now they're all over the place.

Don
    I see gun control as waiting in an ambulance at the bottom of a cliff when we should be building a fence at the top!

Member #
    Liked
    27687 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BangBang View Post
    Yes, but that list is 5 years old and in that much time all the gun manufacturers how come out with their own version of the 380 caliber and now they're all over the place.

Don

TRUE!!
    but I see that swinging now, at least here to the new Flavor of the Month-- the 9 MM sub compacts.
    I know I bought Two, one in Buttered Pecan (sig 365) and one in Rocky Road ( Springer XDS.)
    the instant shortage of 9 MM ammo in the new rush shows what caliber is by far the most popular.
    I think some of the reasons for the Spectrum falling short was (if I remember) didn't they ship out the first large batch without caliber markings and had to scoop them back up?) and then the off set slide /frame that looked bad, then the regular Taurus customer Service problems and lack of magazines/parts?
    if you are going to come out with a new model SUV then you better be able to supply tires for it if you want it to sale!
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    98 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olfarhors View Post
    I think some of the reasons for the Spectrum falling short was (if I remember) didn't they ship out the first large batch without caliber markings and had to scoop them back up?) and then the off set slide /frame that looked bad, then the regular Taurus customer Service problems and lack of magazines/parts?
    if you are going to come out with a new model SUV then you better be able to supply tires for it if you want it to sale!
    Agreed.

As I've mentioned in other Spectrum threads, I received my Spectrum shortly after they became available. I was a bit taken back by the slide/frame offset which my particular gun exhibits, and I admit that it still drives my OCD a little crazy. However, I have NEVER had a problem or malfunction with my Spectrum (yet). To be blunt, it goes bang every single time that I pull the trigger without any issues with feeding or ejecting. I suppose that's all I can ask for, eh?

Member #
    Liked
    27687 times
    I saw the spectrum (along with the Taurus AR-15) at the NRA show here in Hotlanta and I swear not a single one of the multitude( they had them in all the colors) had the offset slide that I remember?
    I fondled all of them and they were pretty ergonomic in my hand, nice melted gun with few sharp edges, wasn't particularly impressed with the triggers but then again it was a fairly inexpensive weapon.
    the ones there were very well finished, course again it was the NRA --SHOW and tell!
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    98 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olfarhors View Post
    I saw the spectrum (along with the Taurus AR-15) at the NRA show here in Hotlanta and I swear not a single one of the multitude( they had them in all the colors) had the offset slide that I remember? I fondled all of them and they were pretty ergonomic in my hand, nice melted gun with few sharp edges, wasn't particularly impressed with the triggers but then again it was a fairly inexpensive weapon. The ones there were very well finished, course again it was the NRA --SHOW and tell!

The same here. I had originally first seen (and fondled) the Spectrum at the Taurus factory booth within the GAOS 2018 show. Not a single Spectrum - that I can recall - exhibited the apparently mostly ubiquitous offset slide/frame that we've heard so much about. Hmmm...
    olfarhors likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1211 times
    I sold my newly acquired Spectrum. As much as I liked it (had one before)... I found I just couldn't re-assemble it without extraordinary effort to get the spring and guide rod re-seated.

Maybe my weak hands as I get older? Interesting... I have many, many handguns and several do NOT have captured springs (many do) and even the ones that re-assemble like the Spectrum (with non-captured spring) are SO MUCH easier than the Spectrum was.

Oh well... old age is creeping in and my hand strength and all other body parts (knees, etc.) are deteriorating fast.

I just have to adapt and get rid of things I can no longer operate, or stop doing things I can no longer do (like getting up from a squat)
    DeltaBravoKS and taurustoter like this.
    USAF 1976-79
    Deplorable 2016-Present

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Sponsored Links