Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Spectrum's future?

13K views 70 replies 30 participants last post by  Jim_Nazium 
#1 ·
I had the opportunity to speak with a Taurus factory representative today at the Great American Outdoors Show in Harrisburg PA. I noted that the Spectrum was not on display (as it has been the past few years). The rep stated that while Taurus supposedly has enough parts pre-made and in-stock to make more Spectrums, the company does not anticipate continuing production at this time. Apparently, this is largely in response to the bargain-basement Spectrum prices lately (his opinion or fact, I'm not sure). The fellow did go on to express some regret with the direction of Taurus as he likes Spectrum on a personal-use level.

Our mileage may vary, but I thought it interesting [though not unexpected] news from the Taurus factory rep and wished to share.

#45 ·
Yes, but that list is 5 years old and in that much time all the gun manufacturers how come out with their own version of the 380 caliber and now they're all over the place.

Don

#46 ·
TRUE!!
but I see that swinging now, at least here to the new Flavor of the Month-- the 9 MM sub compacts.
I know I bought Two, one in Buttered Pecan (sig 365) and one in Rocky Road ( Springer XDS.)
the instant shortage of 9 MM ammo in the new rush shows what caliber is by far the most popular.
I think some of the reasons for the Spectrum falling short was (if I remember) didn't they ship out the first large batch without caliber markings and had to scoop them back up?) and then the off set slide /frame that looked bad, then the regular Taurus customer Service problems and lack of magazines/parts?
if you are going to come out with a new model SUV then you better be able to supply tires for it if you want it to sale!

#48 ·
I saw the spectrum (along with the Taurus AR-15) at the NRA show here in Hotlanta and I swear not a single one of the multitude( they had them in all the colors) had the offset slide that I remember?
I fondled all of them and they were pretty ergonomic in my hand, nice melted gun with few sharp edges, wasn't particularly impressed with the triggers but then again it was a fairly inexpensive weapon.
the ones there were very well finished, course again it was the NRA --SHOW and tell!

#49 ·
I saw the spectrum (along with the Taurus AR-15) at the NRA show here in Hotlanta and I swear not a single one of the multitude( they had them in all the colors) had the offset slide that I remember? I fondled all of them and they were pretty ergonomic in my hand, nice melted gun with few sharp edges, wasn't particularly impressed with the triggers but then again it was a fairly inexpensive weapon. The ones there were very well finished, course again it was the NRA --SHOW and tell!

The same here. I had originally first seen (and fondled) the Spectrum at the Taurus factory booth within the GAOS 2018 show. Not a single Spectrum - that I can recall - exhibited the apparently mostly ubiquitous offset slide/frame that we've heard so much about. Hmmm...

#50 ·
I sold my newly acquired Spectrum. As much as I liked it (had one before)... I found I just couldn't re-assemble it without extraordinary effort to get the spring and guide rod re-seated.

Maybe my weak hands as I get older? Interesting... I have many, many handguns and several do NOT have captured springs (many do) and even the ones that re-assemble like the Spectrum (with non-captured spring) are SO MUCH easier than the Spectrum was.

Oh well... old age is creeping in and my hand strength and all other body parts (knees, etc.) are deteriorating fast.

I just have to adapt and get rid of things I can no longer operate, or stop doing things I can no longer do (like getting up from a squat)

#51 ·
My Spectrum was acquired shortly after release to the public...prior to the trending pattern of light primer strikes and failures to fire...and have had no problems reassembling the weapon after cleaning. (I've had neither of those problems with my Spectrum, by the way.) I would guess that "newer" Spectrums probably contain the beefier spring which was mentioned in other Spectrum threads here as Taurus' solution to the malfunctions listed above. My own opinion only, of course.

#52 ·
All-in-all, if a product or service is desirable, the company providing that product or service will continue to do so. The Spectrum is definitely not a firearm that the general public wants or is interested in. IMHO, Taurus should spend their R&D budget improving the current offering and stick with the most popular calibers.

#55 ·
WELL me either--as I had and still do a Sig 238, so you know which one out in that debate!
but it was a nice looking lil pistol and light years ahead of the TCP design as far as ergos go.
they just keep forgetting to put sights on their pistols however!

Reactions: taurustoter
#60 ·
I think if we are going to compare small and smaller pocket style pistols then I would like to add for consideration my Bond Arms Bullpup Pistol. It is smaller than the .380 (or even .32 pocket pistols), has less recoil, has regular 3 dot sights, and holds 8 rounds of full house 9mm ammunition. It has a hammer and the slide can be racked by just about anyone's grandmother. While it is expensive if one can afford it, it is clearly the better choice among the pocket pistols now available.

Don

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel

Firearm Gun Trigger Starting pistol Revolver

Firearm Gun Trigger Starting pistol Gun accessory

Reactions: Sekol
#62 ·
I have a spectrum. I ordered the exact color combo I wanted. Glad I did before specific colors became hard to find. I liked Taurus’s website showing all the color combinations possible.

I have all the same complaints about it as everyone else. Failure to feeds have been the main complaint. Very common. The other is that reassembly with the recoil spring is a Herculean task, but I’m getting better at it. When inserting a mag, it gets blocked by the mag release button, but I just press the mag release button and hold it while I inset the mag past that point. Sights are beyond minimal, but that doesn’t bother me. I think of this as a point and shoot point blank self defense gun.

Overall it’s a nice little gun. I enjoy shooting it, though the FTF (feed) can be annoying. It’s soft shooting. And comfortable with either the extended mag or the flat bottom.

I have never had a failure to fire. It fires every time for me with every brand of round I’ve tried. The Real issue is getting it to chamber.

I would hate to see the Spectrum go away. It’s definitely worth improving and not cutting from the line up. Definitely fills a niche.

#63 ·
...Sights are beyond minimal, but that doesn’t bother me. I think of this as a point and shoot point blank self defense gun.

Overall it’s a nice little gun. I enjoy shooting it...It’s soft shooting. And comfortable with either the extended mag or the flat bottom.

I have never had a failure to fire. It fires every time for me with every brand of round I’ve tried...I would hate to see the Spectrum go away. It’s definitely worth improving and not cutting from the line up. Definitely fills a niche.

Absolutely agree!

#64 ·
Received confirmation from a Taurus representative that the Spectrum is still in production. So the immediate future looks positive for it.

#65 ·
Isn't it the only small pocket sized poly pistol in 380 that Taurus makes?
while the semi sub compact 9 MM is the rage right now the 380 in that package is still selling pretty well, so until something new comes along I imagine they keep it in manufacture.
would not be surprised to see it come out in 22lR to be honest, but they could do themselves and the customer a lot of good by working out the bugs in the gun first.

#69 ·
I Have the TCP & the Spectrum , and was wondering if you could put a front sight on the gun? and which sight?

#70 ·
Glad to see that the Spectrum will be still offered and made by Taurus.

With the large surge in gun buying across the USA there is need for a .380 pistol more than ever. Taurus will sell a boatload or two of SPECTRUMS.

BIG AL, take that question and start another thread. You'll get more and better answers if you do.

#71 ·
For the prices I've seen I wouldn't be disappointed to find some issues but it would be a plinker not my carry pistol. It has a MUCH better grip than my Beretta Pico, which also had an insanely long release date after it was announced. 2 years if I remember. It's not fun shooting the Pico. The tiny grip moves in my 2XL hand so a fist size group at 5 yards is best I can do with it. But it has never failed at the range so it's my carry pistol when I really don't want to print at all. It's the only pistol I can forget I'm carrying. I bought a 2nd Pico in case they stop making them. DAO pistols with restrike don't seem to sell very well because people won't learn how to shoot them. All of of my DAO SIGs were discontinued after I bought them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.