Spectrum Accuracy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Spectrum Accuracy

Member #
    Liked
    57 times

Spectrum Accuracy

I have mentioned in other posts that I am a nut for accuracy. Being a former NRA bullseye Master class shooter you lived and died by accuracy.
    I have been bench testing pistols with sand bags for decades. In the Feb/March issue of Handguns magazine Patrick Sweeney has a long article on how to test pistols for accuracy. It seems I have been doing it wrong. I rested my hands and the gun butt on the bags. He stressed the need for a solid rest under the muzzle of the gun. So I bought a Caldwell Pistolero rest on Amazon for $27.44 and headed to the indoor range.
    The rest has a muzzle rest a hand rest and I added a sand bag behind the hand rest for my forearms. My prior tests of the Spectrum at 15 yards produced groups 3.5" to 4" with flyers I did not count because I felt they were my error. With the Caldwell rest I got 10 shot groups without the flyers of 2.25" and 2.75" . With flyers 4.5" and 3.125".
    As a comparison I shot my Kahr PM9 and got groups of 2.25" and 2.125" without flyers and 3.125" and 3.785" with flyers. The MSRP of the Kahr is $810 and sell on gunbroker for as little as $560. The MSRP of the Spectrum is now $224.24 and sell for as little as $153.00 currently on gunbroker.
    When a gun costing $153 shoots within a quarter of an inch of one costing $560 I think it is a real bargain.
    All tests were shot with top of the line defensive ammo.
    All groups were 10 shots at 15 yards.

Member #
    Liked
    193 times
    Appreciate the info.
    PTDOUDE likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3402 times
    It sounds as though you're comparing one gun to the other, but it also sounds like you found this new rest you purchased to be superior to your old way of doing things. Is that your conclusion?
    PTDOUDE likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7830 times
    I've been thinking about a Spectrum for quite some time - more for the wife than myself - she currently carries a TCP since it fits well with the types of clothing she typically wears (and in her handbag as needed) but I think that the ergos of the Spectrum will suit her a bit better (plus she likes a splash of color - her first gun is a Walther PK380 in pink...)
    "To anger Conservatives, lie to them. To anger liberal, tell them the truth."
    -Fine! I said it! You happy, Troll!
    ...Snopes provides no evidence to the contrary

Member #
    Liked
    23053 times
    I'm going to disagree with you both. I'm in the "rest it on the frame" school of sand bag shooting. But whatever works for you.

https://www.chuckhawks.com/shooting_...bench_rest.htm

I've worked with quite a few .380's, and I've found it to be a remarkably accurate cartridge. I'm often told that's because most are blowback operated and hence have a fixed barrel. But I've worked with enough that are conventional locked-breech designs to know that's not the only explanation. I really like the cartridge. Especially in the larger guns.
    Definition of clip

1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip

Member #
    Liked
    935 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Yissnakk View Post
    I've been thinking about a Spectrum for quite some time - more for the wife than myself - she currently carries a TCP since it fits well with the types of clothing she typically wears (and in her handbag as needed) but I think that the ergos of the Spectrum will suit her a bit better (plus she likes a splash of color - her first gun is a Walther PK380 in pink...)
    I have both a TCP and a Spectrum. I like the look, feel and the shooting of the Spectrum more than the TCP. It just feels and looks like it is higher quality. The only reason I bought the Spectrum is because Rural King had them on sale for $119.99 ($127.xx after taxes and background check). I am more accurate with the Spectrum.
    Taurus

TCP
    Spectrum
    PT111 G2

Member #
    Liked
    6815 times
    Thanks for sharing the results of your testing.

Member #
    Liked
    440 times
    I have a $120 Spectrum, from RK, and a TCP.

For me, the Spectrum shoots softer, and more accurately than the TCP, and the TCP does well by itself. They both hit what I aim at (usually) .

Freehand, and I ain't measuring, or selling, either one!
    AKA Phil Jungels
    U. S. Army Medic, Vietnam, 66-67

"The real answer is more bullets!" Me, 2001

Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    I will say that the rest really helped. This is because I am 76 years old, I have what my doc calls essential tremors-my hands shake, my eye sight is not what is use to be-I wear tri focal glasses- no part of the lenses let me see a sharp image of the front sight.
    I think a young person with sharp eyes and steady hands could use a rest and get groups under two inches without flyers.
    I used the Kahr PM9 because it is the same size as the Spectrum. Same distance between the sights, same barrel length, same grip size. The sights on the PM9 are much better than the Spectrum and the trigger is much smoother.
    The point I tried to make is that the Spectrum provides accuracy far better than one would expect from a "cheap gun".
    jlewis39, oldtimer and loudviking like this.

Member #
    Liked
    27726 times
    Quote Originally Posted by glenwolde View Post
    I'm going to disagree with you both. I'm in the "rest it on the frame" school of sand bag shooting. But whatever works for you.

well we all have our takes on different subjects.
    myself I could give a rats back end how a carry gun prints off a rest as I never ever carry sand bags or a ransom rest on me.
    sure it may be fun IF you are just curious about accuracy but to me on a carry pistol it means nothing, I am interested in how it prints when the human factor is added in.
    Rifles and (target pistols) well yea I rest them and test for accuracy, specially rifles.
    MOONDAWG and oldtimer like this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links