The good, the bad and the ugly
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: The good, the bad and the ugly

Member #
    Liked
    37 times

The good, the bad and the ugly

Picked up my second Spectrum cheap. I got a $20 off coupon from Academy so I checked their website and a Spectrum(black slide,white frame) was on sale for $139. $20 off and it was $119. Add sales tax and shipping (local store out of stock) and the total was $141. That is still over $100 less than my first Spectrum. Took it home, stripped it, cleaned it, lubed it and took it to the range. Trigger is a smooth 7 pounds, shot to point of aim at 3 and 7 yards, a couple of inches high at 15 yards but well centered.
    Took it home and stripped again and found the barrel was filthy after 50 rounds. Gave it a good cleaning and found the bore is rather rough.So I scrubbed it with JB bore cleaner. Some slight improvement. While looking at the muzzle I noted the chamfer was uneven. Since I have chamfering tools from my days of messing with old revolvers I set out to fix it.
    It turms out Spectrum slides and barrels are coated with black melonite (what Glock calls Tenifer). That stuff is hard as hand hammered hell. It ruined my chamfering tool and they cost $51 at Brownells. My first Spectrum has the same problem.
    Now my quandary is do I say the hell with it and shoot them as is or do I take them to the local machine shop and have them chuck them in a lathe and cut the chamfer with a carbide tip cutter. Yes I know it may cost as much as the gun but things like that just irk me. My kids say I am anal retentive. What say you all-fix it or forget it.
    Last edited by Smokewagon; 09-27-2019 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Language guideline violation. See guideline and rule #2.
    Kevin Keith and 777Driver like this.

Member #
    Liked
    5175 times
    Chunk it and get a Ruger LCP or LCP II. Just sayin'.
    Taurus PT111G2 - Ruger LCPII - Charter Undercover .38 Spc - M'berg Mav88 Pistol Grip - M'berg 715T - Charles Daly Superior 12g O/U Trap - Heritage Rough Rider .22LR/WMR - Henry Classic Lever .22LR - Marlin 336W .30-30 Lever - Phoenix HP22LR - NAA .22WMR Mini-Revolver w/ Pocket Clip - GSG 1911-22 - H&R Young American .32 Safety Hammer NF (circa 1890)

USCG '77-'83 Semper Paratus - CGC Point Evans WPB82376 - MSO LA/LB SaR & Drug Interdiction Response Team

NRA / Tx LTC

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33196 times
    If it’s as good a shooter as you say, keep it and shoot it. What’s wrong with that?
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    170 times
    At 140 dollars shoot and enjoy.
    Kevin Keith likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    6397 times
    If it shoots OK the way it is , just leave it alone.
    jlewis39 likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11143 times
    I agree with the others, it shoots well, let it be. I know it is hard from one OCD person to another, but often trying to make an inexpensive pistol perfect, will ruin the pistol. I have gone down that road before and it can get costly, when working on some of my customer's firearms. Now a Colt or other high end pistol is another story. I am not a Spectrum fan by any means, so that may be coloring my thoughts. I owned one for a while , but it spent more time in Taurus warranty repair, than it did at my house. Don't assume that the barrel in that spectrum is a high quality steel that will handle re-chamfering, it may twist or loose some strength at the chamfer site.
    DA-Auto and oldtimer like this.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Member #
    Liked
    1091 times
    I agree with the crowd. If it shoots well, leave it alone.
    ”If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”

I also like Chefduane’s reply: “Chuck it, and get a Ruger LCP or LCP-II.”
    That’s what I did when my PT-738 crapped out.
    Love my LCP-II.

Don’t know what I did, but somehow this “advertise” thing attached to my message.

Last edited by 777Driver; 09-28-2019 at 11:53 AM.
    chefduane likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Well, after 24 hours and 6 replies the answer is just shoot the thing. It really is true, you get what you pay for.

Member #
    Liked
    865 times
    I paid $119.99 for mine ($128 out the door), took it home, cleaned and shot it. It shoots fine. I don't know if it has any problems you outline but as Hillary said "What differece does it make?" Nobody will know but you anyway.
    dogchild likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    838 times
    Yea, a Taurus is known for high end quality precision craftsmanship. I'm much the same way. I demand perfection in the way i work and wanting things right with what i have. What i found after years of doing and having things is, nothing stays perfect, shiny and new but if you try to keep it that way you'll have nice things. One more little thing that is just drives me nuts about being like this. If i get something new and it wacked right out off the box or has imperfection, i will never lose it, break it or wear it out. Every time i look at it or use it that ding or imperfect screams at me and laughs daring me "do something".
    When i just got out of school good i started working offshore in the Gulf. You had to have a work knife. You would be looked at as not having your personal tools and subject to being run off or not called out on the next job.
    Being of this perfection mind set about got me black balled from working off shore.
    I got a nice lock blade and broke the tip off the first time i used it off shore. I got so mad i slung it as far out in the gulf as i could. I got in trouble for not having a knife. I got a new one next trip. It fell out of my hand cutting buoy lines. I had no knife and got in trouble. I purchased two knifes for the next trip out. They were cheap pot metal hands with 440 stainless blades. One broke while using it. I had the handle but that good 440 stainless was going out of sight in the water. No big deal, i had a back up. Not more than ten minutes later i sat it down to grab a roll of duck tape and it was kicked overboard. I got in trouble for not having a knife a third time, Not good.
    So as soon as i got back onshore i bought a Case lock blade with the good leather belt sheath. The next week i'm helping my brother in law hook up his car trailer. A lights not working. Its a bad ground wire. "Here, use my knife." He does not hand it back to me. He flips it back at me sticking into the wooden deck of the car trailer. SNAP! The tip pops off in the deck. He is a great guy, Feels bad and wants to pay for a new one. I say no, its got a guarantee. I'll mail it off. But inside i'm losing it in my mind. I have to go offshore to work tomorrow. I don't want buy another as money seems to be an issue after being on shore as week. Now everyone will see me using a broken, second hand knife. Its a busted tool. A knife without a tip is not a knife.
    Ohh big deal i'll lose it soon anyway. Hey, i won't even have to mail it off. I'll just get a new one.
    I used that knife for the next seventeen years i worked of shore.
    Sometime you just have to let go and live with life giving you the finger. Just keep telling yourself it's because you're number one.
    Last edited by Ickthus; 09-28-2019 at 10:51 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links