Point and shoot Spectrum - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Point and shoot Spectrum

Member #
    Liked
    27013 times
    Quote Originally Posted by old guy in texas View Post
    Took the gun to UPS today to ship it to Taurus. Local customer center said it had to go next day air at a cost of $89. Last I heard handguns had to go 2nd day air which cost less than half that amount. So I took the gun to Fedex and they shipped it ground for $12. Taurus would not send me a shipping label.
    WHOA!!!
    well in the past Fed -X and UPS has insisted on shipping weapons from individuals at next day air, but they allowed a FFL to ship anyway they wanted pretty much, Most FFL ship second day air as its a lot faster , its more secure and generally isn't a lot more money than ground.
    Now IF you got it shipped by Fed -X at ground then consider yourself lucky and an inexperienced clerk likely.
    now thats not the law but the companies policies as they incurred so much theft of firearms in regular shipments of ground.
    anyway hope they fix it for ya!
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    Quote Originally Posted by old guy in texas View Post
    Have you conducted any accuracy tests from a bench rest. I have tried a verity of ammo and the best groups I get at 15 yards have been 3.5 to 4 inch size. I use a two hand hold on sand bags in an indoor range, no wind and a constant light source.

No, I have not done any accuracy tests from a bench rest with sand bags. I haven't felt the need to do so as my use for the Spectrum is EDC...not sharpshooting.

As always, my two cents only.

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Quote Originally Posted by taurustoter View Post
    Has it been reliable for you?
    Yes, it has been reliable but was a little finicky with Blazer Total Metal Jacket ammo with failure to load, but shot fine with Fiocchi 380 ammo. Otherwise, its has been flawless.
    jlewis39 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    75 times
    It is fun to talk accuracy and fun to try some shots with support and free hand with any gun (whether it is a carry, defense gun or a target gun).

Personally, I shoot my 22s (talknig pistols) for target accuracy.

That is some of the 22s that I consider more of a target shooting pistol like the SW22 Victory, the GSG 1911, and Heritage six Revolver from normally 30 feet or 45 feet and sometimes as far as 25 yards. I don't consider those defense size guns for Carry, just plinking / target guns. I am not into competition shooting (probably be fun on a small scale as not good enough to be in tough competition).

Then some 22s like the Ruger SR22, the GSG Firefly, and even the little PH22 which I consider all of those more of a Carry size gun, I also shoot for accuracy for fun of it. HOWEVER, I use those Carry size guns for what I call defense practice; say move a step or two, draw, rack (I don't carry one in chamber), and shoot as quick as I can (more point at least first round and aim a bit depending if 10 ft, 15 ft, or 21 ft, or 30 ft practice). Generally hit within 2 to 6 inches of point I am looking at.

You are not going to have time to aim in a situation normally (yes some situations you would, like you are hiding and a mass shooting in progress and you have a chance to aim a shot at some distance being not detected by the shooter).

That 22 practice (cheaper and can shoot a lot of rounds) carries over to use of the 9MM or the Spectrunm 380 (those I primarily practice defense only, very little target).

All That Said as my UNPROFESSIONAL OPINION as I am not trained in self defense other than reading and some practice on my own.

Not interested in an argument about it, would read any comments made. I might change my mind. LOL
    Last edited by PaulTaurus; 08-19-2019 at 07:13 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    437 times
    In all honesty, I consider ALL self defense weapons, point and shoot! That would include any of my .22s, .380s, and 9mm Compacts.

Practice should always include not aiming with any sights, just point it and shoot it, at a 6' to 8" target .. Heck, even a paper plate will do! I use the end of a 6"-8" log

Get in the habit of placing your target finger in the witness depression if so equipped, or at least on the slide, extended.

You can do a pretty good job of pointing your finger directly at a target, and should get in the habit of thinking of your gun as an extension of your finger.

Push the gun toward the target, point it at the target, and shoot it. Do this until you get reasonable accurate. You just might be surprised at how good you can get.

Don't worry about bullseyes at all - just the target! If you can hit the target consistently, you can disable an attacker!

Now, the .22 target pistols, and the full sized guns ---- that's a different story!
    jlewis39 likes this.
    AKA Phil Jungels
    U. S. Army Medic, Vietnam, 66-67

"The real answer is more bullets!" Me, 2001

Member #
    Liked
    75 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wnderr View Post
    In all honesty, I consider ALL self defense weapons, point and shoot! That would include any of my .22s, .380s, and 9mm Compacts.

Practice should always include not aiming with any sights, just point it and shoot it, at a 6' to 8" target .. Heck, even a paper plate will do! I use the end of a 6"-8" log

Get in the habit of placing your target finger in the witness depression if so equipped, or at least on the slide, extended.

You can do a pretty good job of pointing your finger directly at a target, and should get in the habit of thinking of your gun as an extension of your finger.

Push the gun toward the target, point it at the target, and shoot it. Do this until you get reasonable accurate. You just might be surprised at how good you can get.

Don't worry about bullseyes at all - just the target! If you can hit the target consistently, you can disable an attacker!

Now, the .22 target pistols, and the full sized guns ---- that's a different story!
    Agree 100% - that is the way I view it.

I occasionally shoot all pistols with aim for fun, but most carry size pistols I shoot point and aim (22s included for point and shoot for practice). I hardly ever shoot my GSG 1911 22LR, Heritage Revolver, or SW22 Victory for Point and Shoot (primarily aim at Targets for accuracy).

More important for defense is what you can do at close range, like probably 21 feet or 15 feet or less (and how fast you can do it).

Longer range maybe for a mass shooting where you have a chance to get off an aimed round that will not hit innocent bystanders (could be 15 yards or 25 yards if you are good enough). Not many of us can with pressure and a moving target likely.

I might try if I was hidden, had a hand rest for the gun, and no innocents behind the bad guy. Probably miss and have his AR 15 turned on me. GROAN

I think some live in a dream world regarding long shots with a handgun under stress.

Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulTaurus View Post
    ...More important for defense is what you can do at close range, like probably 21 feet or 15 feet or less (and how fast you can do it)...

Agreed.

I usually point and shoot at targets, when I have the rare opportunity to get to the range. I use the smaller 4-circles/page targets from the NRA Basic Pistol course and vary my distances from 5 feet to 25 feet. If I'm feeling lucky [punk], I'll back up to 45 feet and use the larger NRA Instructor Training Qualification Target. I do this with any handgun that I might lug along (ie - Spectrum, G2, Mark I-IV).

I enjoy shooting for fun, as I've mentioned in other threads. However, I also like having a goal to work on for each range trip, such as accuracy or timing. I readily admit that I need to work on speed (along with accuracy) and drawing from my holsters - particularly my Spectrum as it's my EDC (when I have the opportunity to do so.)

My two cents, as always.

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    Why am I into accuracy testing guns even point and shoot pistols? I grew up in New York city. The only pistol you ever saw was on the hip of a cop. When I joined the Air Force I had the chance to join a base pistol team. I worked my way up to master class and in 1973 shot my way onto The Air Force Pistol Team. You lived and died for accuracy. It burned its way deep into my brain. So 46 years later I still test every gun,pistol or rifle, for accuracy. What good does it do? Well if my Spectrum can shoot a 3 inch group off sand bags and I shoot 8 inch groups free hand, the extra 5 inches is totally on me. Can't blame the gun or the ammo, its all on me. It tells me I need to practice with that gun a lot more. At my age(76) getting it down to 6 inches would mean I am getting good with that gun. 46 years ago I would be trying to get down to 3 inches the size of the 10 ring on an NRA bullseye target.
    NativeTexan and william like this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    31416 times
    My 2 cents, but i can't tell doodly about a GUN if I don't fire it off a supported position (would love to have a machine rest) to take the error out of it and I back up to 25 yards standard range I don't care if it's a S&W M52 or a NAA mini revolver. So what if it'll shoot 2" groups at 3 feet? THEN I know what the GUN is capable of. Then I'll start shooting off hand and see what I can do with it at various ranges.
    william likes this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    31416 times
    BTW, I point shoot best with my snubby revolvers.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links