Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Here is a new problem for y'all to mull over.

3K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  oldtimer 
#1 ·
Back on 4-28-19 I posted a question about trigger stacking. Got no replies. My 7 pound trigger would go to 10-12 even 14 pounds in the last 1/16" of travel. I made several tries to fix it with little success. Finally I took it completely apart and took a sear stone to the mating surfaces of the trigger bar and the striker. They were rough, off square and offset from each other. Put it all together and I had a 7 pound pull all the way through. I dry fired the gun many times{without a snap cap,my bad} and it started to not reset. If I racked the slide it would reset on every try.I racked the slide and it did not reset. Nothing would happen. I pulled the slide and found the firing pin protruding out of the firing pin hole. I pulled the striker assembly apart and found the striker return spring totally smashed flat. It was jamming the firing pin. A deformed spring was the cause of the failure to reset . Soooo, what caused the return spring to deform and finally smash flat?
Since I have worked on the gun multiple times I guess Taurus will not work on it under warranty. And Taurus will not sell parts to me I guess I am totally screwed. Any comments, ideas, suggestion or criticism will be taken with humility.:(

#2 ·
There ARE places that make springs, problem is that I just don't know any to recommend. try Midway, Sarco, Brownells? Wolf, maybe?

#3 ·
From what I read in your post, you haven't done anything to modify or alter the gun, just cleaning up the fire control. Send it back to Taurus with the flat spring installed and see what they will do. The worst is that they send it back in the same condition. You might be out shipping charges or you might get it back fixed.

#5 ·
well IF you have to eat shipping charges , especially both ways, to be honest I would just scrap the weapon and sale parts.
I mean right now you can likely purchase a new Spectrum for not much more than the shipping/ and or ffl charges .
then you can buy a new spectrum and maybe start the process all over again.

#6 ·
You mentioned "guess" several times, so I'm not sure what was a guess and what was fact.

Did you contact Taurus and they refused to sell you a new spring or did you just guess they won't? Since this is a newer gun, they may actually still have some parts to sell. I'd check with customer service and if the first person tells you "no", I'd try again the next day. If a couple of them say "no", then I'd drop it at that.

#7 ·
I'd call Taurus. If they don't give you a clear path forward, olafhors' suggestion is probably the best approach. You might have built a spare parts supply. :cool:

#9 ·
Interestingly enough when I take my pistols apart I usually end up with 2-3 parts left over, so I have a reasonabally good supply of parts on hand now.
I thought that was why the manufactures put extra parts in guns??

Attachments

#12 ·
Called Taurus and they said send them the gun.
As to not messing with my guns. Bought my first gun at age 12 I am now 75. Still have the first gun and about 80 more. All of which I have disassembled and reassembled in detail. I am or have been a lifetime Master for NRA outdoor pistol, NRA instructor for pistol and rifle, Texas state concealed carry instructor, member USAF Pistol team, graduate Glock Ploice armory class. I spent 15 years at a gun wholesaler business were I inspected,cleaned,disassembled,repaired,reassembled many makes and models of police trade in guns. I think I am a bit more knowledgeable than the average Joe. Just saying.

#15 · (Edited)
Took the gun to UPS today to send it to Taurus. Taurus would not send a shipping label. The local customer center said I had to ship it next day air at a cost of $89. I took it to Fedex and they shipped it ground for $12. Yes, I told them it was a handgun. Anyone up to speed on the current rules for shipping a handgun?

Well I did some research and currently UPS and Fedex ship handguns by air only and it cost about $90. The Fedex person who shipped my gun by ground screwed up big time. It seems the only cheap way to do it is to get your dealer to mail it. FFL to FFL can mail guns legally and it would be normal post office rates. Even with registered mail, signature required costs it would be a fraction of UPS and Fedex rates.

#16 ·
Will wonders never cease? My gun arrived at Taurus on 8-1-19. FedEx just handed me my repaired gun at 5:00PM local today. A five day turn around counting shipping! They must have fixed it the day it got there. Now the bad news. All it needed was a new firing pin return spring. They replaced it and the firing pin,the firing pin spring and the recoil spring. Originally the trigger took 14 pounds to go the last 1/32 of a inch of travel. I got it down to a smooth 8 pounds all the way through. Now it takes 16 pounds to go the last 1/32 of an inch. So back to a total tear down and stoning the new firing pin. My only hope is the new recoil spring is not a bad as some posts have said it is.

#18 · (Edited)
Ok call Taurus if Taurus says couple ideas to try Wolff springs/numrich/gallow way and even E-Bay I got a parts hook up for a PT 145 off of ebay now realize numrich and e-bay used parts I ran into a new supplier this eve I should have bonk marked if I trip across them again I sure will. Jacks first has been decent NOW WHEN LOOKING AT ANY OF THESE ADD GUN PARTS, some moron did not and proceeded to read me a riot act one day...He pulled up jacks windows some similar and got bent when I asked why did you not include "GUN PARTS"? SOME FOLKS REALLLLLYYYY!!!!!!!

#19 ·
OK JimmyA I have a trigger pull gauge that measures the force required to pull a trigger through its full travel. This trigger has what is called a stacking problem. As you near the end of the pull the pull gets heavier. The most of the pull it takes 8 pounds of force to move the trigger. At the end of the pull, the last 1/32 of an inch of movement, the force jumps to 16 pounds. It means there is a burr on
the sear face of the firing pin that is catching on the face of the trigger bar just before the release point. The cure is to stone(file) off the burr and get the two faces to slide smoothly against each other.
I have a recoil spring tester; I got it to test colt 1911 45acp recoil springs; and the new Taurus recoil spring tests at 7.5pounds. It is stiffer than the old recoil spring and is a SOB to put back in the gun.
What hacks me off is I told them on the letter I sent with the gun that it was running perfectly and all it needed was a new trigger return spring. They went and changed the firing pin and the recoil spring and created new problems for me.

#20 ·
and the new Taurus recoil spring tests at 7.5pounds. It is stiffer than the old recoil spring and is a SOB to put back in the gun.
What hacks me off is I told them on the letter I sent with the gun that it was running perfectly and all it needed was a new trigger return spring. They went and changed the firing pin and the recoil spring and created new problems for me.
That's known as JOB SECURITY for the gunsmiths!!!
they don't want to correctly repair themselves out of a job!!

Reactions: Steyr
#21 ·
No gunsmith needed for this gun. Five minutes work with a pointed polishing tip on the Demrel and the sear face of the firing pin is smooth. I now have a 7 lb pull that stacks to 9 lb just before release.
The trick to get the new recoil spring in is to put a 3/16" punch thru the spring rod hole in the front of the slide to keep the spring from kinking. I used a 4" piece of round 1/2" bar stock with a flat end to push the back of the spring rod. Anything with a flat end you can get a good grip on should work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.