Spectrum Recoil Springs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Spectrum Recoil Springs

Member #
    Liked
    6 times

Spectrum Recoil Springs

Well I bought a Taurus Spectrum and really enjoyed the first 50 rounds through it. It worked well and was pretty accurate for it's size. After my first range visit, I gave it a good cleaning. It was super easy to disassemble as advertised. But putting it back was a little bit of a challenge due to the non-captive recoil spring. I can see that spring taking off into never, never land during a reassembly at some point. So I chat with Taurus customer service, they say they could help me and ask for my address, so this looks like a good outcome. But then they respond that they aren't selling recoil springs as of yet and to check back later. I'm befuddled that they don't have a crapload of recoil springs sitting around or possibly used them on another model. I'd like to have some springs on hand if needed, but this is baffling to me. I checked online quick and the guide rod is out there, but no spring. Does anyone have a recommendation on replacement springs for the Spectrum?

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    215 times
    I hope you get an answer, because just today I was out in the garage cleaning my Spectrum (and a few others also) and you're right that sucker comes out real easy, but going back in it wants to bend before I could get it compressed enough. It's almost like it's the wrong spring or a bad design. I don't have any spring problems with reassembly of any of my other pistols. Also if I'm putting a product on the market, I had better be ready to support it from day one, not weeks or months after the item is already in the public market. We shall see what happens.
    Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

David
    U.S. Navy Retired

TAURUS:
    JUDGE .45LC/.410GA Public Defender; 605 Protector .357 Magnum Revolver; TH9 9 MM Semi-Automatic;
    TH9C 9MM Compact; Spectrum .380 Semi-Automatic;
    RUGER LCP .380 Semi-Automatic

Member #
    Liked
    2118 times
    This is frustrating. Why should Taurus keep a pile of springs on hand? They may or may not ever sell, while the guns appear to be selling briskly. I'm sure if the weapon retailed at 350 bucks they'd have spare parts stockpiled. As it is, they do not. I recommend you take it apart and reassemble it in a box for now. I personally have a covered cat box (with battery light on the "ceiling") for such tasks.
    loudviking likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredward View Post
    This is frustrating. Why should Taurus keep a pile of springs on hand? They may or may not ever sell, while the guns appear to be selling briskly. I'm sure if the weapon retailed at 350 bucks they'd have spare parts stockpiled. As it is, they do not. I recommend you take it apart and reassemble it in a box for now. I personally have a covered cat box (with battery light on the "ceiling") for such tasks.
    Frustrating indeed. I saw another post that a recoil spring was defective & Taurus shipped one, so they do exist or they could possibly see if another gun uses the same spring. I'm going to try again and see what they say via phone rather that chat. I noticed Lakeline has a steel replacement rod, but no spring. Until then, I'll have to be careful, but a captive design would have been better for sure.
    Last edited by fitz; 06-05-2019 at 06:56 AM.
    oldtimer likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    26091 times
    AHH, let me be the first to welcome you new guys to the forum and the wonderful world of Taurus gun ownership and part availability!
    MY suggestion is try contacting Wolffe gun springs and see if they have recommendation for a different spring?
    at least its not a recoil spring assembly, so you can buy/find the spring a lot easier I would guess.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    156 times
    I would suggest wolff springs also however I've found it's best to send them old spring to match rather then measurements.
    MOONDAWG likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    29251 times
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Thanks for all above on the suggestion on Wolff springs. That may be the easier answer. Contacted Taurus again and they suggested sending the gun in for repair. Unbelievable??
    olfarhors likes this.

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    13244 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MOONDAWG View Post
    This looks vaguely familiar
    olfarhors likes this.

Make America Great Again - Remove all the warning labels!
    I shoot to support my reloading habit
    Only when your house is on fire, will you have too much ammo!
    Psalms 144:1
    Never go into a fight with less ammo than you can carry - W Ward
    Lubbock 15 Sand Lake 15 & 16 Rapid City 15 - 18

Member #
    Liked
    568 times
    I was worried about kinking it as i tried to keep it from coming off the rod when it slipped.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links