The Taurus Spectrum 380: What went wrong and will it ever be made right? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: The Taurus Spectrum 380: What went wrong and will it ever be made right?

Member #
    Liked
    578 times
    I don't see the reason to replace the TCP other than it's an old design. I'm hard pressed to think the cost of parts/assembly/testing is that much less on the Spectrum to over come the cost of new "Stuff" to make it. I'm thinking this was not the time to move away from gun-lifetime to one year. The way management is running the company it just looks like AST Computers all over again.

Sad they seem to not be able to find a niche and address the quality problems. Lots of other folks have quality issues but not the volume that Taurus seems to have had over the past seven or so years.

B2 (;-<
    Desperado likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I will keep my tcp. if its not broke, don't fix it.
    Czechbikr likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2877 times
    The Spectrum I had never gave me any issues with its performance. It ran great and never gave me any problems. But the trigger on mine was the absolute worst trigger I have ever pulled. Very heavy and gritty. Felt like I was dragging it a mile through #2 gravel. I know its not a target pistol but I could not get it to clean up for anything. Maybe my TCP trigger has me spoiled but it stayed and the Spectrum was sold off
    ‘‘It is not the function of our government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.’’ - Justice Robert H. Jackson

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Albert Einstein

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    8339 times
    Just recently ( on Facebook I keep track of Taurus Armas) it was alluded to that new Taurus designs for pistols were going to be released and that Taurus was trying to refresh things. One of the gun magazine/writer gurus let that slip also, but claimed he was being held to secrecy. He got to handle and shoot prototypes. When this unveiling was to take place was foggy at best.

Taurus is still partially still in the moving from Miami to Georgia. Until Taurus USA gets totally settled in it's new domicile things will probably stay foggy.

That said I still have and use my 2 TCPs (model 732) as part of the CCW rotation and will continue to do so.

The Spectrum seems to be a decent type, but time will tell. It might be that the Spectrum could be replace itself. One just has to wait and see.

Member #
    Liked
    2078 times
    I'm currently considering one, since 160 bucks will get it and a box of ammo out the door. I see no need to get rid of my LCP or any other little one, though. Can't have too many.

Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredward View Post
    I'm currently considering one, since 160 bucks will get it and a box of ammo out the door...Can't have too many.

I've been perfectly happy with my Spectrum (which I'm guessing was in a early batch released as I received in February 2018, soon after it became available). I've been perfectly happy to the point of contemplating purchasing another. However, I don't really need another...I just want another...

Does getting a great one initially increase my chances of getting a not-so-good one? Hmmm...
    Czechbikr likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2062 times
    I'm glad to hear that yours has been trouble-free. If you want, you can check the date of manufacture on Taurus' website.

By the way, if you want another, then now would be a good time to get one seeing as they're currently going for $139 on Bud's.
    "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco Remírez - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Same

Member #
    Liked
    503 times
    My sister likes hers. She did have issues with FTF while i was standing next to her. I do not think it was limp wrist. I need to get her back to the range with it. I shot two mags and it ran for me. I cleaned the little gun before our range time as we picked it up NIB at a gun show on the way to the indoor range. I know firearms. I put a trigger spring in a Beretta 84. Putting the spring back on the op rod without boogering it up or shooting it across the room was just as hard. Needing a gun smith to field strip is a little much. A captured spring rod would go a long way here. The long travel and total reset trigger broke clean a i hit where i pointed the dam thing so... It beats a lot more that's out there. I don't find anything wrong with it as much as not much right with it.
    It's a striker fire. That's just not right.
    Long travel, total reset trigger. That's just not right.
    A pain to field strip. That's not right.
    To small to grip, hang on to or recoil causing FTF, light strikes … not sure but it is not running 100%.
    Not much you can do about being a strike fire. It is what it is.... i don't carry striker fires unless i'm underwater or in a sleeping bag.
    Short travel, short reset trigger striker fire? That's an ER visit or a trip to the morgue.
    I need to get my nephew to make a captured guide rod for this little gun and make a buck.
    My sister likes it and it fits her needs. She is a high school ROTC TRI State Rifle Champion and proficient with firearms. She has a pocket holster and confidence with it.
    I would carry this gun with confidence as well. Not my choice of guns but your not getting over me without springing a leak.
    loudviking and Desperado like this.

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    My two cents. I'm new on this forum and new to Taurus. I typically prefer an FN, Glock,CZ, Walther or Sig Sauer to keep myself and my loved ones safe but when I spotted a Spectrum for $140 online, I decided to give Taurus a try.

I may take delivery today as its on the UPS truck headed to my FFL.

Taurus quality seems to be very much hit and miss, you either get a very reliable firearm or too Often, one that needs much remedial work. And Taurus customer service seems horrible by many accounts.

I'm hoping for a reliable pocket.380 but if such is not the case, at only $140, I can get what I paid back or most of it anyway.

As a side note, I have two SCCY pistols, my CPX-2 has been reliable since day one but my CPX-3 had a mag issue right out of the box. SCCY replaced the whole gun & mags within a week, now that's what I call good customer service.

I'll follow up with a range report on my experiences with the Spectrum

Member #
    Liked
    844 times
    Never shot one or owned one, but never really got the reason Taurus actually came out with the Spectrum. The TCP738 was actually one of the most popular and maintenance free firearm they made......I owned one (wife wanted it, but never could rack it) and I did not like the feel of it in my hands.
    "She said her name was Emergency and asked to see my gun....said her telephone number was 911"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links