Taurus Spectrum Defensive Rounds... Suggestions?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Taurus Spectrum Defensive Rounds... Suggestions?

Member #
    Liked
    29 times

Taurus Spectrum Defensive Rounds... Suggestions?

Hi, I am looking for recommendations or suggestions for defensive rounds from fellow Spectrum owners.

And, on that note, how many defensive rounds do you normally run to be satisfied that a particular gun "likes" that brand, type and weight?

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    I just acquired my Spectrum yesterday so I don't have experience with live fire as of yet. I feel confident enough to suggest Hornady Critical Defense. That's what I plan on purchasing in the next few days. I use that in my Shield and Critical Duty in my VP9.
    Smokewagon likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    26804 times
    not a spectrum owner but do own several 380 pistolas.
    I lean heavily to the Hornady XTP in the 380 caliber.
    it has a good blend of penetration/expansion and reliability in that particular caliber.
    I also use all copper hollow points in my 380 but this can get expensive, but then again what is your life worth?
    just be aware that the 380 is right on the edge of being able to expand a hollow point and still offer fair penetration so there is a lot of difference in one 380 ammo and another in performance.
    and not to knock the other suggestion but be aware that Hornady critical defense (FTX) is not the sane as the XTP, the FTX is lower powered and is longer OAL and many small 380 semi pistols have problems ejecting that round if it hasn't been fired as it wedges in the ejection port.
    check this if thats what you go with.
    which brings us to the real best self defense ammo-- its the one that function 100% in YOUR weapon, everytime.
    I never place any self defense gun in carry rotation with less than 300 rounds fired with no problem, at least 100 of these being the carry ammo that I intend on using.
    InFamous, Fishinkeylargo and cim like this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46443 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olfarhors View Post
    not a spectrum owner but do own several 380 pistolas.
    I lean heavily to the Hornady XTP in the 380 caliber.
    it has a good blend of penetration/expansion and reliability in that particular caliber.
    I also use all copper hollow points in my 380 but this can get expensive, but then again what is your life worth?
    just be aware that the 380 is right on the edge of being able to expand a hollow point and still offer fair penetration so there is a lot of difference in one 380 ammo and another in performance.
    and not to knock the other suggestion but be aware that Hornady critical defense (FTX) is not the sane as the XTP, the FTX is lower powered and is longer OAL and many small 380 semi pistols have problems ejecting that round if it hasn't been fired as it wedges in the ejection port.
    check this if thats what you go with.
    which brings us to the real best self defense ammo-- its the one that function 100% in YOUR weapon, everytime.
    I never place any self defense gun in carry rotation with less than 300 rounds fired with no problem, at least 100 of these being the carry ammo that I intend on using.
    Agree I like the XTP in .380. That is all I use in the small .380's.
    olfarhors and cim like this.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Taurusarmed.net Where are you map?

Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Two extensive ammo tests of 380 ammo can be found at www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistics-tests and ammunitiontogo.com/lodge/best-self-defense-ammo. What looked great on one test did not come out as well on the other.

Member #
    Liked
    26804 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishinkeylargo View Post
    Agree I like the XTP in .380. That is all I use in the small .380's.
    good to see you back with us Fishing!!!
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.

Member #
    Liked
    26804 times
    Quote Originally Posted by old guy in texas View Post
    Two extensive ammo tests of 380 ammo can be found at www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistics-tests and ammunitiontogo.com/lodge/best-self-defense-ammo. What looked great on one test did not come out as well on the other.

yea and that's one thing WE need to understand, ballistic testing and the actual media needs to be the same for comparison.
    1) all ballistic gels are not the same.
    2) ballistic gels must be mixed correctly .
    3) ballistic gels need to be at a certain temperature range,.
    4) not all testing media is ballistic gel.
    5) ammunition maybe shot at different distances or different angles.
    at the end of the day bal gel does not duplicate human body so remember its a testing medium.
    Buckeye! likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Rangehot.com tested 32acp and 380acp ammo in different barrel lengths. They used a Keltec 32 with a 2.7' barrel vs a Colt 1903 with a 3.75" barrel. In 380 it was a Diamondback at 2.8" vs a Bersa Thunder with 3.54". The differences in velocity, penetration and expansion were eye opening.

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Thank you to all that have replied... I think I will give the Hornady XTP a try in my Spectrum.

Member #
    Liked
    2229 times
    I use Hornady American Gunner XTPs in both my S&W PPK/S and my Ruger LCP.

In ShootingtheBull410's .380 Ammo Quest series on YouTube, XTPs were by far the most consistent performers out of his Taurus TCP-738, with all examples he tested meeting the FBI/IWBA Specifications for a minimum of 12" of penetration with full expansion in Ballistics Gel with 4 layers of Heavy Denim.
    "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco Remírez - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Same

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links