Taurus Spectrum Defensive Rounds... Suggestions? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Taurus Spectrum Defensive Rounds... Suggestions?

Member #
    Liked
    437 times
    When it comes right down to it, any name brand, brass or nickle, hollow points will really do just about anything you want them to do. Buy what you can afford, and they will perform admirably in such a close range protective device. No kidding.
    AKA Phil Jungels
    U. S. Army Medic, Vietnam, 66-67

"The real answer is more bullets!" Me, 2001

Member #
    Liked
    27109 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulTaurus View Post
    I have not researched Defense AMMO for 380 (or for that matter the 9MM I use). I do use a Hollow Point for the 9MM.

Anyway, I just wanted to bring up a point - seems I remember a U-Tube or something that did penetration and scatter testing of 380 AMMO. As I remember or maybe concluded on my own --- just as good to use FMJ for penetration and fact not much scatter on 380 AMMO.

Just presenting as Food for Thought as I am not up on all the AMMO available.

That said, for my part I would just use the FMJ if I was gonna carry the Spectrum 380 (not likely I will carry it - 9mm makes makes sense to me). Anyway, could practice the 380 and feel better about reliability with the cheaper FMJ.
    Lots of opinions on carry ammo, especially in the lower powered 32 and 380. But if you reload or IF you buy premium ammo that's near to SAMMI or at SAAMI pressure and use a modern Hollow point actually they perform fairly well.
    MY self I am not carry a FMJ in any weapon that I may use for self defense.
    simple to ME, notice I said me!
    a hollow point may clog up--then you have basically a FMJ, but I don't think much of anything is going to make a FMJ expand.
    so to me the very worse case scenario is that you are going to end up with a FMJ and additional penetration.
    pretty much the same with loss of velocity, its not going to allow the JHP to expand as much and so you have more penetration Per FPS than a higher velocity round that does expand.
    I might mention as well, these FBI protocol on penetration is figured as a worse case scenario where you may fire at an attacker and hit him in the hand , arm and then the chest from the side where the deepest penetration is required.
    or fire through a windshield etc.
    I mean how many real people have chest cavities as thick as ballistic suggestions?
    loudviking and Qwiks draw like this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    3458 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olfarhors View Post
    yea and that's one thing WE need to understand, ballistic testing and the actual media needs to be the same for comparison.
    1) all ballistic gels are not the same.
    2) ballistic gels must be mixed correctly .
    3) ballistic gels need to be at a certain temperature range,.
    4) not all testing media is ballistic gel.
    5) ammunition maybe shot at different distances or different angles.
    at the end of the day bal gel does not duplicate human body so remember its a testing medium.
    I agree .. The gel tests just gives a person a ( Idea ) how a bullet will function at a certain velocity.. bone and angle makes a difference,,especially with ammo that has lower velocity and weight ... like the 380acp .... For my Taurus TCP I use Underwood 90gr XTP .. they offer a +P but I picked up the standard pressure ... But in my extra mag that I carry , its loaded with Remington 95gr FNFMJ .. Which I feel is a good offering ...

The Underwood 380acp +P 110gr Hardcast looks like a interesting load
    Last edited by Buckeye!; 09-15-2019 at 09:21 PM.
    Taurus Family
    TCP
    G2
    Heritage 22/22 Mag

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I agree completely with your reply. I do have 2 new Spectrums and tested both mine and my wife's and they fire Hornady critical defense great. Also I've ran about 50 rounds through mine unfired just to make sure they don't get hung up. So far none have, but I have had one or 2 fmj rounds get hung. Usually its when my slide rack is too slow.
    It's something we must test. Thanks for the reminder.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I use round nose in mine. I think a 380 needs more penetration than expansion. Just my two cents worth.

Member #
    Liked
    27109 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dice View Post
    I use round nose in mine. I think a 380 needs more penetration than expansion. Just my two cents worth.
    just curious??
    how much penetration do you think is adequate??
    and do you think a slick metal object or a jagged metal object cuts arteries, organs best?
    we each have our own thoughts on what we carry .
    loudviking likes this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Really enjoy Chris' videos. I'll watch some that don't really apply to me just because he does such a good job. I watched the video you mentioned some time & was kind of surprised at some of the results.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links