Cylinder spins freely on Model 66, Please Help.
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By RonPT24/7
  • 1 Post By glenwolde
  • 1 Post By glenwolde

Thread: Cylinder spins freely on Model 66, Please Help.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Cylinder spins freely on Model 66, Please Help.

I just recently got my first Taurus, model 66-B4, from my buddy, when I got it it was completely locked up and after cleaning it spins freely, too freely. The cylinder will not stay in position and can spin when the cylinder is closed. I believe it is missing a spring that would go into a hole covered by a screw near the front of the trigger. Does anyone know where I can get this spring, it seems like a big hassle to send it back to Taurus to get this part. Any help is appreciated.

Member #
    Liked
    7380 times
    Welcome and sorry your having this problem . Even tho you just got this from your buddy your best bet is to just go ahead and send it in to Taurus . That gun has a lifetime warranty reguardless who owns it and I would definitely want it working perfectly right as to take chances . Did this problem happen before you cleaned it . Did you take the cyclinder off for cleaning or just open it with cyclinder attached already ? Someone else here might be able to help you if a spring is the actual problem .

Member #
    Liked
    66 times
    The screw/spring combo you are referring to holds the cylinder/crane assembly in place when the cylinder is open. If the cylinder is spinning when closed you need to check your cylinder stop. It could be that it is stuck in the down position and maybe it just needs a poke and some cleaning. It could be that the spring is broken. The cylinder stop is in the frame under the cylinder.

Take a look at this: https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/sm...ial-guide.html

It shows the screw/plunger/spring item you are talking about. How old is this 66? If it is an older model it may not have the plunger spring deal but instead just a screw that is specific for that hole.

If it is in fact the screw/plunger/spring piece, Taurus should sell you the setup if you call.
    Last edited by fredg; 04-15-2013 at 06:57 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    7380 times
    Thanks for bringing that to out attention fredg ! I have not run across this before now . I downloaded the PDF in case ever needed !

Member #
    Liked
    21791 times
    This sounds like an older model. If so, it probably is not covered by the warranty. If the screw you're referring to is not on the side, but indeed on the front of the trigger guard then you are most likely missing the bolt spring. If the bolt, which protrudes from the inside bottom of the frame and engages the notches in the cyliner, is flopping around that's a god bet the spring is MIA.

Numrich is sold out Bolt Spring Gun Parts | 581280B | Numrich Gun Parts
    Try calling Taurus they usually just ship springs without needing the gun back.
    Or call Bob's Taurus Revolver Parts. Bob's Gun Shop
    chicharrones likes this.
    Definition of clip

1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip

JR
    Member #
    Liked
    8672 times
    My guess is that the spring is missing, as well. All too many times, improper maintenance results in such failures. Too many times, the manufacturer is blamed. If you gun is one that uses a specific screw, it's also possible that the side plate screws were loosened, and replaced in the wrong holes.

Member #
    Liked
    21791 times
    Is this the screw? best picture I can find at the moment on gunbroker
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    chicharrones likes this.
    Definition of clip

1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip

Member #
    Liked
    1803 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RonPT24/7 View Post
    Welcome and sorry your having this problem . Even tho you just got this from your buddy your best bet is to just go ahead and send it in to Taurus . That gun has a lifetime warranty reguardless who owns it and I would definitely want it working perfectly right as to take chances . Did this problem happen before you cleaned it . Did you take the cyclinder off for cleaning or just open it with cyclinder attached already ? Someone else here might be able to help you if a spring is the actual problem .
    I'll vote with Ron on this one. Send it to Taurus. Could just be a missing spring or screw, but could also be a broken locking mechanism. Hopefully they won't keep it too long (they say "6-weeks", but one I sent in last month was back in 14 days).

Particularly since it's a 357, if it were me, I'd make darned sure everything was tight. Shipping will cost you $30, but any smith worth his pay will be a whole lot more.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks you guys, I really wish I hadn't forgotten I posted this before I brought to a local smith, Thanks again.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links