Make your Taurus more accurate? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Make your Taurus more accurate?

Member #
    Liked
    407 times
    @Mingaa - you never have a loss for tactful insight.
    mingaa and darbo like this.
    What does "We the People" mean to you? Texas Friendly, Spoken Here too.
    When will it be for American Citizens to say - "Enough is Enough" and DO something about it?
    Near West Texas - Parker County, Texas
    PT111 Pro

Member #
    Liked
    25802 times
    I know a number of shooters that swear by lapping. With today's barrels and new treatments and coatings (unobtanium is one to watch for!) I would do my research. I also think that the difference on a 20" + rifle barrel vs a 4" pistol barrel may yield diminishing returns especially pointed at pistols aimed more at action shooting rsther than bench rest bulls eye action.
    If we choose, we can live in a world of comforting illusion.
    .................................................. ...........................................
    Noam Chomsky

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    This proceedure not only increases accuracy, it also DRASTICLY reduces lead fouling when shooting non jacketed ammo.I made the mistake of shooting "cowboy action" Winchester loads in my Taurus 44 mag. The barrel was "lead city" after about 10 rds.Ever tried to clean that out? You can't brush it out with lead remover. I bought a lead removing kit for $30 that uses a "pig" with a brass screen formed to it. By polishing the lands and grooves with 800 grit the gun not only doesn't lead foul when shooting this type ammo, but it is also much more accurate @ 25 yds and is a breeze to clean. Even with jacketed ammo, the accuracy it greatly improved. BTW your tooth paste is probably more abrasive than the 800 grit slurry that I use. You can't do a gun in one day, it takes ALOT of time. I have made a lead plug for EACH one of my guns by using an old bristle cleaning brush (so you can screw it on your cleaning rod) Every time I clean a gun, I polish it for a few minutes. Call me crazy but I like the results.Name:  arfs pics 025.JPG
Views: 171
Size:  279.1 KB This target was shot up one handed with my 4 in Taurus Tracker 357 mag at 25 yds. The hits outside the "pie plates" are from my 2 in barrel Taurus 357 mag. Both with 357 mags, not 38 specials. Just wanted to share what you can do without going to a pro.
    mingaa likes this.
    Try to take it and die

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    12325 times
    We should be clear on this - polishing and lapping are not the same thing. When you lap a barrel it involves a lead lap being pushed through the bore with an abrasive compound. The idea is to remove any small burrs that may exist, but the most important reason is to insure a consistent bore diameter all the way through. The longer the barrel the more 'opportunity' for variations in the diameter and the more noticeable the end result.

Polishing is a less aggressive attempt to remove the burrs, but it makes no allowance for the bore diameter. But just getting rid of burrs can improve accuracy if the barrel is a good candidate for polishing. A burr can put little scratches in the projectile, and those scratches will be presented to the 'relative wind' while it's spinning, causing the round to travel in a helical pattern, and opening up the groups.

You really need to know a bit about the firearm you're working on to know if lapping is a good idea or not. If there's plating in the barrel, I wouldn't do it. I wouldn't try it on something like a vintage Colt Python, either. Pythons used a conical barrel that actually got tighter the closer to the muzzle you get. I would think lapping that type of barrel would booger it up good unless it was done by someone with specialized tools and talent.
    Last edited by dbeardslee; 03-03-2013 at 10:21 AM. Reason: fixing grammar
    "The marksman aims primarily at himself"
    - Zen saying

Member #
    Liked
    386 times
    Too involved for me. I never have been a fan of altering the original equipment. I shoot just fine with the original product. I would worry about voiding the warranty too. Unless I am shooting competition, out of the box is fine for me IMHO.
    rodfair and Old_Sp5 like this.
    One REALLY Sharp Stick

One Wiffle Ball Bat

One Rusty Nail

(All guns lost on a Spelunking vacation in Peru)

Member #
    Liked
    151 times
    I have to side with dbeardslee. Lapping is done between two metal items that need to mate and seal perfectly, such as the automotive valves and their seats mentioned earlier. By polishing, it would reduce the friction and remove burrs that could affect the round as it leaves the barrel.
    dbeardslee likes this.
    Ammo mfr told me to Aim Once, Shoot Twice... Now they are saying "just aim" and pretend to shoot.
    To learn to swim, you first must get your feet wet...

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MissKitty View Post
    Since this was in the problem section, I misunderstood the OP. Carry on..........
    Always a good idea to read carefully before you type. Google is the "Websters" of the new millenia. Carry on.....
    Try to take it and die

Member #
    Liked
    5533 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MrArff View Post
    Always a good idea to read carefully before you type. Google is the "Websters" of the new millenia. Carry on.....
    Actually, it would have helped if you had placed your original post in the correct forum. I thought you were complaining to Taurus telling them to make a better product since it was in the problem section.

AND....it was before I had my second cup!

Member #
    Liked
    151 times
    MrArff,
    Didn't you place your post, this thread, in the Smithing Forum first, and not the "problems" forum. It is where it should be, Smithing. Am I missing something here ?
    Ammo mfr told me to Aim Once, Shoot Twice... Now they are saying "just aim" and pretend to shoot.
    To learn to swim, you first must get your feet wet...

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    27079 times
    Yes! You did miss something! This was originally placed in the "Problems Forum" and was moved by a MOD.
    Then you missed this!:

"Always a good idea to read carefully before you type. Google is the "Websters" of the new millenia. Carry on..... "

AND MrArff, I strongly suggest you show a little bit more respect to the Mods.
    Taking this country back....one job at a time!

In memory of BUTT. Thanks for, your wisdom, your humor and your willingness to pass it on. You ARE missed.

YES, I am a "bean people" !

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links