More pt145 Light Strikes...
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: More pt145 Light Strikes...

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

More pt145 Light Strikes...

My newest generation pt145 has been having light strike issues since day 1 and I cannot seem to fix it... I have fully cleaned the striker and striker channel (several times) and even tried using graphite for lubrication but nothing seems to work. I have tried Winchester, Remington, fiocchi, pmc and federal ammo and all have given me issues. About ten percent of the fiocchi, five percent of the Winchester and Remington, 2 percent with pmc, and rarely with federal, I get light strikes... This makes me feel pretty confident its not an ammo issue... The gun has already been back to Miami once for light strikes and feeding issues. Thankfully they resolved the feeding issue but the light strikes seem to continue... I have about 800 rounds through the gun and so I think the gun should be broken in by now.... I absolutely love everything else about the gun, the grip the feel the accuracy, the 10+1 capacity, its a great gun and I want it to do well, but it keeps leaving me disappointed... Any ideas on what to do? Any way to get harder strikes? I hate to say it but I'm about ready to cut my losses and sell the gun for something I can trust as a daily ccw....

Member #
    Liked
    12325 times
    One of the first things I did with my PT145 (after thoroughly cleaning the firing pin channel) was to do a little light deburring with 600 grit sandpaper on the firing pin itself. Then I rolled it up tightly and and ran it in and out of the channel itself. You need to take the firing pin block out for this, which means you have to detail strip the upper (with the exception of the key lock). There are a number of openings inside the channel, and any one of them is a candidate for a raised edge that could drag on the firing pin which is why I did the polishing inside the channel.

While you've got it out, take a good look at the firing pin block. I found some peening on mine which I removed with a needle file, followed by a little polishing. It was dragging on my firing pin enough to cause the odd light strike. Take a close look at the firing pin when you first remove it, and see if you noticed any unusually shiny areas - might point you to the area that's causing the problem.

When I reassemble mine I always use Rem Dri Lube with Teflon. It's cleaner than graphite, and teflon is just about the slipperiest substance known to man. I give it a short spray in the firing pin channel, on the firing pin itself, the inside of the firing pin, and the firing pin spring. I clean the firing pin and channel every time I clean the pistol with a Q-Tip and solvent, and I pay particular attention to the end of the firing pin channel. I also run pipe cleaners through the hole the firing pin passes through on it's way to the primers just to make sure nothing is catching there. I do this religiously and I can't remember the last time I had a light strike. Best I can do for you.
    bre346 and oldbull360 like this.
    "The marksman aims primarily at himself"
    - Zen saying

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Dbeardslee, thank you very much for the great advice! I will strip the gun and report my findings

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    So I took the firing pin out and there do not seem to be any signs of excessive rubbing. No extra shine anywhere. I am not sure how to remove the pin block and couldn't find anything after searching the forum and Google besides one that says there is a screw that needs to be removed to access the pin block, but I don't see any screws anywhere on my slide?

Member #
    Liked
    12325 times
    To get the firing pin block out you have to remove the extractor - they're kind of interlinked like a jigsaw puzzle. To get the extractor out you have to drive out the pin that holds it in place, and IIRC you have to drive it out from the bottom up. I always use an appropriately sized punch to do it - I drive the pin out leaving the punch in place. Then I put my thumb over the back part of the extractor and apply pressure and remove the punch. Then I slowly release the tension. Be careful - there are a couple springs under the extractor, and the one for the loaded chamber indicator is TINY. Once you've got the extractor out you should be able to remove the firing pin block. When you put it back together, the firing pin block needs to go in before you reinstall the extractor.

Before I detail strip a pistol I like to take a close look at a parts diagram so I know what to expect. Sometimes it helps with reassembly too. The parts diagram for the PT145 is in the back of the manual, or you can look at it online. I prefer the online version because I can zoom in on the parts. Here's a link to the manual - http://www.taurususa.com/pdf/polymer_pistol_manual.pdf
    - Zen saying

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    20965 times
    I'm having the same problems with my 3rd gen PT-145. I can take it apart clean it to operating room standards and it may or may not work. I cannot trust it and that sucks because I like the pistol in every other way. ( no so much the sights ) My eyes are too poor to try to detail strip this weapon to try to polish the firing pin with out the fear of just having a pile of parts instead of a pistol. I have soaked the slide in powder solvent over night then blow everything out with high pressure air with a non-OSHA blow gun. I have thought about sending it back to Taurus for repairs but when they get it the pistol may be working and they may just send it back. What to do? Sell or trade it in on something else? Local Gunsmith?

Name:  1.1 USA.gif
Views: 338
Size:  14.3 KB
    "Guns are a lot like parachutes ~ If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

The problems we face today are there because the people
    who work for a living are out numbered by the people that vote for a living

"No man who refuses to bear arms can give sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" Teddy Roosevelt

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Member #
    Liked
    12325 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gbusmech View Post
    I'm having the same problems with my 3rd gen PT-145. I can take it apart clean it to operating room standards and it may or may not work. I cannot trust it and that sucks because I like the pistol in every other way. ( no so much the sights ) My eyes are too poor to try to detail strip this weapon to try to polish the firing pin with out the fear of just having a pile of parts instead of a pistol. I have soaked the slide in powder solvent over night then blow everything out with high pressure air with a non-OSHA blow gun. I have thought about sending it back to Taurus for repairs but when they get it the pistol may be working and they may just send it back. What to do? Sell or trade it in on something else? Local Gunsmith?Name:  1.1 USA.gif
    I'd try a local gunsmith if you have had the pistol more than a year. Reason I say that is it's pretty minimal work that needs to be done, and you can probably get a gunsmith to do it for around the same cost as the postage to Miami. I wouldn't give up on the pistol though. PT145's are sweet, and I still haven't seen anything else with the same mix of features and ergonomics. It's one of the most narrow compact 45's available, and that makes for a very concealable pistol.

Here's something else for you guys to check while you're checking stuff - take a very close look at the end of the firing pin. It should be rounded. If it's flattened on the tip that can also act like a light strike. JAT
    - Zen saying

Member #
    Liked
    12325 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gbusmech View Post
    I'm having the same problems with my 3rd gen PT-145. I can take it apart clean it to operating room standards and it may or may not work. I cannot trust it and that sucks because I like the pistol in every other way. ( no so much the sights ) My eyes are too poor to try to detail strip this weapon to try to polish the firing pin with out the fear of just having a pile of parts instead of a pistol. I have soaked the slide in powder solvent over night then blow everything out with high pressure air with a non-OSHA blow gun. I have thought about sending it back to Taurus for repairs but when they get it the pistol may be working and they may just send it back. What to do? Sell or trade it in on something else? Local Gunsmith?

After reading this again, I have a question for you - are you saying you have never removed the firing pin? If you haven't I suggest removing it and thoroughly cleaning the channel. If you only clean it by sticking a red tube in the firing pin hole and hosing it out you may well have some crud in there. It's hard to get around the edges of the firing pin channel without physically sticking something down in there to get it out, coupled with the fact that there aren't many places for the crud to go if you do the 'hose out' technique. Removing the firing pin is something that needs to be done periodically for thorough cleaning. The only small part you really need to watch is the firing pin return spring that sits between the firing pin hook and the frame on the little shiny metal rod that protrudes from the frame. Other than that the parts are pretty easy to keep track of.

A full disassembly of the firing pin assembly is needed periodically for another reason too. A number of members have had the firing pin spring assembly fail (as in the plastic rod broke), and one of the symptoms is light striking or no striking. If you shoot it you need to inspect the parts every now and then just to make sure they're serviceable. You also need to change the firing pin spring periodically - maybe every 2k rounds or so - so sooner or later it's going to need to be disassembled anyway.

If you don't feel comfortable doing that I'd be looking around for someone with mechanical aptitude and better eyes to do the job for you.
    bre346 likes this.
    - Zen saying

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    You are a life saver with all the useful information! I don't have the right size punch so I will pick one up along with some fine sand paper as soon as I am able. The striker looks unblemished though so I'm not too confident there are any burrs or anything slowing down the striker... Are there any other options for a harder strike? Maybe a spacer to compress the striker spring slightly more for a harder hit? Or maybe just buy a new spring and hope its stiffer?

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    20965 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dbeardslee View Post
    After reading this again, I have a question for you - are you saying you have never removed the firing pin? If you haven't I suggest removing it and thoroughly cleaning the channel. If you only clean it by sticking a red tube in the firing pin hole and hosing it out you may well have some crud in there. It's hard to get around the edges of the firing pin channel without physically sticking something down in there to get it out, coupled with the fact that there aren't many places for the crud to go if you do the 'hose out' technique. Removing the firing pin is something that needs to be done periodically for thorough cleaning. The only small part you really need to watch is the firing pin return spring that sits between the firing pin hook and the frame on the little shiny metal rod that protrudes from the frame. Other than that the parts are pretty easy to keep track of.

A full disassembly of the firing pin assembly is needed periodically for another reason too. A number of members have had the firing pin spring assembly fail (as in the plastic rod broke), and one of the symptoms is light striking or no striking. If you shoot it you need to inspect the parts every now and then just to make sure they're serviceable. You also need to change the firing pin spring periodically - maybe every 2k rounds or so - so sooner or later it's going to need to be disassembled anyway.

If you don't feel comfortable doing that I'd be looking around for someone with mechanical aptitude and better eyes to do the job for you.

You are correct, I have never removed the firing pin. Actually I'm not sure on how to go about it....

Views: 299
    "Guns are a lot like parachutes ~ If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

The problems we face today are there because the people
    who work for a living are out numbered by the people that vote for a living

"No man who refuses to bear arms can give sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" Teddy Roosevelt

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links