Action Binding, Yoke Screw
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Action Binding, Yoke Screw

I've got a wierd problem going on. The action on my large frame revolver (mod 60 binds up, and you can't hardly cock the hammer or pull thru a double action stroke. I've found the source of the pbm....the yoke screw and/or yoke. If the screw is fully tightened the action is bound up. But if I back out the screw a few turns, the action is fine. I've had it all apart and the yoke shaft & groove and screw w/ spring and pin all seem OK.
    Has anyone else had this pbm? It's virtually brand new, but I'd like to fix it myself rather than send it back. ????
    "Don't speak unless you can improve the silence".

ADN
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times

Re: Action Binding, Yoke Screw

If it is brand new it may be easier to send it back to Taurus and let them deal with it. I sent my brand new 66 in to them for a timing problem and the total turn around time was 6 days. They pay shipping both ways on any gun under 1 year old so you out of pocket expense, not to mention your time and possible frustration handling a job you are not completely comfortable with, will be nil.
    PT1911B
    PT111 Pro
    PT738
    Ruger P95
    Beretta U22 Neos

Member #
    Liked
    8 times

If you can find the correct washer at a real hardware store, you might could use it to essentially shorten the yoke screw, so it doesn't bind when tightened.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Thanx James, good idea, I never thought of that. But, too late! The pin and spring were just too long, so I threw away the spring, and shortened the pin a LITTLE at a time until it didn't bind up, but it still holds the yoke in place w/ no "slop" forward or back. (It's definitely not "factory".......more like "custom") ........ But I think it will be just fine. I'll shoot it in a day or 2 and find out !!
    Thanx too to ADN......I didn't realize that Taurus would pay the freight both ways within the first year.....Good info to know !!

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Guy
    I've got a wierd problem going on. The action on my large frame revolver (mod 60 binds up, and you can't hardly cock the hammer or pull thru a double action stroke. I've found the source of the pbm....the yoke screw and/or yoke. If the screw is fully tightened the action is bound up. But if I back out the screw a few turns, the action is fine. I've had it all apart and the yoke shaft & groove and screw w/ spring and pin all seem OK.
    Has anyone else had this pbm? It's virtually brand new, but I'd like to fix it myself rather than send it back. ????
    I have the same or similar problem on my 608 stainless 4". Started doing it the first time I fired the gun. The cylinder would bind and I couldn't pull the trigger or cock the weapon. Had to open the cylinder and manually rotate it. Got it home and cleaned it and and I could get it to bind while dry firing it. Seemed to bind on the same area of cylinder each time. Called Taurus and they picket it up on yesterday. They paid for shipping. Was on hold for less than five minutes. So far so good on Taurus customer service.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Hi hammick......sounds like the same pbm alright. Mine is also the 4" 608. They must not test fire these things at all; mine did it from the first shot too. And it had a couple other pbms which I think I've fixed, but need to get out shooting soon to check. It seems to me like pretty shoddy workmanship from Taurus.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I took it out yesterday and ran about 30 rnds thru it, and it worked just fine! I think it's fixed!

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Mine arrived back today. It appears to be fixed from a dry fire standpoint. Won't know for sure until I get it to the range. Twelve days turn around including shipping. Now that is impressive customer service. The work order states the followning problems and resolutions:

Cylinder jams (adjusted)
    Firearm shaving lead (adjusted)
    Jams (adjusted)
    Timing (adjusted)

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Guy
    Hi hammick......sounds like the same pbm alright. Mine is also the 4" 608. They must not test fire these things at all; mine did it from the first shot too. And it had a couple other pbms which I think I've fixed, but need to get out shooting soon to check. It seems to me like pretty shoddy workmanship from Taurus.
    I agree the quality control should be better. However, out of the four Taurus handguns I own the 608 is the only one that has gone back (my OSS I bought used so I don't know it's history). The problem wasn't a big issue for me with 12 day turn around time. However, if I had bought this gun for a specific immediate purpose (to carry or for home protection) I would have been more upset.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by hammick
    Mine arrived back today. It appears to be fixed from a dry fire standpoint. Won't know for sure until I get it to the range. Twelve days turn around including shipping. Now that is impressive customer service. The work order states the followning problems and resolutions:

Cylinder jams (adjusted)
    Firearm shaving lead (adjusted)
    Jams (adjusted)
    Timing (adjusted)
    Took mine to the range on Wednesday and it works flawlessly now. Even with Whitebox 38s it throw a lot of fire from the ported barrel.

Sponsored Links