Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: To bed or not to bed?

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1764 times

To bed or not to bed?

Have a Remington 597 22lr w/ heavy barrel and synthetic stock. Was having accuracy issues right out of the box and wound up sending it back to Remington. They said that the barrel was not machined correctly and replaced. Accuracy is still not what I would expect from a heavy barrel. Getting 4 to 5 inch groups w/ various brands of ammo at 100 yards. Should I bed the barrel, free float or replace stock? Thoughts.

Member #
    Liked
    8279 times
    Send it back and get Remington to make good on it. A 4-5 inch group at 100 is pitiful.
    Last edited by jtg452; 05-22-2020 at 10:41 AM.
    Lomax and oso like this.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    21409 times
    Have you checked to see if the synthetic stock is contacting the barrel? A few years ago I bought a Ruger American Predator in .308. The fore end of the stock was notorious for flexing. I discovered the ribs inside were touching the barrel. I used a Dremel to grind them so that the barrel was finally free floating, but ended up selling it soon thereafter, anyway.
    Taurus1965 likes this.
    Every man should own a fine firearm, a fine knife and a fine watch.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5277 times
    Try free floating first, if that doesn't help then glass bed it. It that doesn't work, then sell it.

Member #
    Liked
    8279 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TrucksNCoffee View Post
    Have you checked to see if the synthetic stock is contacting the barrel? A few years ago I bought a Ruger American Predator in .308. The fore end of the stock was notorious for flexing. I discovered the ribs inside were touching the barrel. I used a Dremel to grind them so that the barrel was finally free floating, but ended up selling it soon thereafter, anyway.
    My 10/22 shoots better when the barrel has a point of contact with the stock right at the end of the forearm.

Freefloating is a general rule thing. It isn't always the answer. With the .92" heavy barrels, it's going to be about harmonics since there's not going to be any flexing under fire.

But barrel harmonics issues aren't going to open the groups of a .22 up to 4-5 inches at 100. On a still day and with a load it likes, there's no reason that gun shouldn't be shooting sub-MOA.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

Member #
    Liked
    1608 times
    I can do 5" groups with a slingshot at 100yds.
    Sell that lemon and start over. Life is to short and ammo is not cheap.
    I have M-1 Garrands and used construction paper to see where to "tune" the lock up.

Member #
    Liked
    315 times
    The stock is probably the problem and not much you can do except get a good stock for it.
    Taurus1965 likes this.
    Shut up and reload!

Member #
    Liked
    1720 times
    For a new rifle, this would be very aggravating. If possible, I'd try shooting a group it off of a rest with the stock removed. If nothing improved, I'd give it back to Remington or get rid of it.
    oso likes this.
    "Anything that can happen with a gun probably will happen, sooner or later." _John M. Browning

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1764 times
    Just noticed a little barrel wiggle from side to side. All screws are tight. Thinking it may be the stock. Any recommendations on a replacement stock? Not really into putting one of those $ 200 stocks on a $225 22lr.
    Last edited by Taurus1965; 05-22-2020 at 03:05 PM.

oso
    Member #
    Liked
    1809 times
    $225, sell and move on to something else, I wouldn't invest in a aftermarket stock for that rifle.
    Lomax, jtg452 and BigBlue like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links