Light FP strikes
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Light FP strikes

I have a 445, 44 spcl Snub. Very fresh condition, but is not firing WLP primers 25% of time because of short FP protrusion, or excessive head space with Starling brass (.012 " ) Air gap is next to nothing. Primers are fully seated. I believe an end shake shim is indicated, but there is no more that .001 shake present. I saw a sticky pictorial for disassembly but I am unclear of how to remove the cylinder from the yolk shaft with out tweaking something out of alignment. I am good on S&W's but this design is foreign to me. If I knew a gunsmith I thought I could trust, I might visit one, BUT all my experience has taught me: There ain't none. Might some one suggest help? My other option might be to shave some dimension off the hammer extension so that the transfer bar might press the FP further.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Progress

Quote Originally Posted by Taurus Bulba View Post
    I have a 445, 44 spcl Snub. Very fresh condition, but is not firing WLP primers 25% of time because of short FP protrusion, or excessive head space with Starling brass (.012 " ) Air gap is next to nothing. Primers are fully seated. I believe an end shake shim is indicated, but there is no more that .001 shake present. I saw a sticky pictorial for disassembly but I am unclear of how to remove the cylinder from the yolk shaft with out tweaking something out of alignment. I am good on S&W's but this design is foreign to me. If I knew a gunsmith I thought I could trust, I might visit one, BUT all my experience has taught me: There ain't none. Might some one suggest help? My other option might be to shave some dimension off the hammer extension so that the transfer bar might press the FP further.

After tear down and clean n lubricate, I have seen impressions on the transfer bar reducing thrust into the fp dimension. Must be a soft part. WLP primers some years past marketed themselves as easier to ignite. That was then this is now. I today went thru a box primed with Fed's. they performed 100%. thanks to all for your replies.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Problem Solved GOT RID OF IT.

Sponsored Links