Taurus Firearm Forum banner

How long to wait for Taurus parts?

12K views 43 replies 24 participants last post by  Bradley 
#1 ·
Hi all, I had some issues with a 856 which I had to contact Taurus about. Basically the cylinder lock would drop inside the frame and not come back out whenever I cocked the hammer back into single action mode. It meant the cylinder was free to rotate. After no luck in calling or emailing Taurus I managed to get ahold of them in their chat. They said they would send a new Spring/plunger that is supposed to prop the cylinder lock up out of the frame. Anyways, that was 4 weeks ago going on 5 now and I’m still waiting.

How long do you guys typically wait for parts? I’m half thinking after reading some much older posts that I won’t see the part for 6 months from now. Or they just forgot about me. I’ll probably try to get ahold of them again but I was just curious what most people had experienced.

My only experience with direct dealings with firearms companies is limited to 2 occasions. One was with smith and Wesson and the part they sent arrived in a week.

A different occasion I had to send in a firearm to Bersa for repairs and they sent me a new firearm in about a week and a half.

#35 ·
djh - I feel for you. I've seen and heard of 18 month waiting periods for parts.
Like I have said before, if my last Taurus, my 605, ever needs a part that isn't available right then, it will be destroyed, and the pieces spread all over Lake Pleasant here near Phoenix in such a way that they can't be found in one pile. Yes, Taurus has soured me that badly, not just with parts availability, but with the whole discontinuation of the 85 model and the 5 year limit of a warranty after discontinuation on a "lifetime warranty" firearm. NOT good customer service, Taurus.

#38 ·
I took my 856 in a week and a half ago to my local FFL who has a smith that works for him. I just got it back today. It works!!! They said it was the cylinder stop getting stuck on the side of the slot/opening for the cylinder stop. And that there were metal shavings that had to be cleaned out. In any case I got it back, and it works now. So happy. Incidentally, I would still be waiting for Taurus to pull through. I’m so glad I took it in.

#39 ·
UPDATE: Looks like I started this thread about 9 months ago. Today I got the little plunger in the mail. I took my 856 in to a gun Smith some time end of last summer (early Fall?). Fixed it right up. Not a problem with the plunger after all. The cylinder stop was getting stuck not coming out of the little hole in the frame. Was quite the shock to see the part i had ordered drop out of this mystery envelope.

#40 ·
News flash, I had gotten an email from Taurus about an unrelated item some time back and after trying to call them and getting the "we're too busy to answer your call, call back later" routine I decided to chance sending an email to that address.

My note asked about the replacement front sight that was put on order in early July for my new R92 that had the brass bead fall off. Now that's almost eight months if one is counting. I referenced the order number and said that if they cannot supply the sight, they should just send me 35 bucks and I'll buy a Marbles sight and mount it myself. I got an answer to my email and Amanda said that they are still on backorder and they will advise when shipped. She was also kind enough to refer me to Numrich if I want to buy one myself.

I still wonder why I do business with them.

#44 ·
I legitimately have a mag release button on back order for my G2 Millennium .40 since Oct. 2020. It is now Feb 1st, 2024.... Instead of telling me that the part was on back order when I placed the order. Taurus accepted my payment for the part with no concept of an ETA in mind. I would periodically call to get an update and Then about 6 months ago I called to get an update and the part has since been discontinued. I mean, what do they expect me to do? So now, if someone breaks into my house. I guess I'll aim for the head and throw my paper weight of a gun at them with my fingers crossed.. I'm soo unimpressed.