Revolver cylinder fouling rings.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Revolver cylinder fouling rings.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    47516 times

Revolver cylinder fouling rings.

A friend called me today looking for help with their .357 magnum revolver. They have always only shot .38spl in the revolver and now with the ammo crunch they were forced to get .357 Mag ammo as they could not find any .38spl.

They shot their last bit of .38spl at the range and went to load up some .357 magnum before they went home. This will be their self defense gun in their home and they feel the need to make sure it is ready during these trying times.

The .357 Mag ammo will not load into the cylinder. Of course they called me from the range and I told them to verify the that the gun is labeled .357 Mag, and it is. After some questioning I found out that they shot around 300 rounds of old dirty Aquila .38spl they had from their dad that he bought in the late 90's and they have never cleaned the barrel or the cylinder. They went and got some cleaning supplies including a .38 caliber brass cleaning brush. No luck in getting the fouling out.

Best I can tell without seeing the gun myself is that the space between the end of the .38spl brass and the cylinder throats is caked with fouling and lead.

What is the best way to remove this 15+ year old fouling? I have a feeling this gun will end up in my hands some time this coming week for some serious cleaning.
    loudviking likes this.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Member #
    Liked
    4227 times
    Too bad those folks didn't realize that revolvers are filthy-shooting sidearms. Every time I use a revolver, I scrub it clean. And my .357 is the worst!

I'd use CLP and let it work for a while. I mix CLP with mineral spirits and soak AR parts and it cuts the crap pretty well. There are foaming cleaners that seem to work pretty well too.

Again, as you well know Paul, time is our friend when doing a good cleaning.

Member #
    Liked
    2463 times
    Were it mine, the cylinder would go in my ultrasonic cleaner for about 20 minutes with the commercial solvent I use for carburetor parts.
    GhostHorse and Qwiks draw like this.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid."

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    8269 times
    Tell'em to buy a 10mm/.40 brush and go to town on it to get the rings out of the chambers.

Soak it down with bore cleaner, let it set for 5 or 10 minutes and start scrubbing (it'll pull easier than it will push). Repeat as necessary until clean.

A Lewis Lead Remover or some bronze wool wrapped around a old bore brush would do it faster, but these guys need a lesson in the importance of upkeep and maintainence of a firearm and the application of a little elbow grease has never hurt anybody but it surely works great as a reminder.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

Member #
    Liked
    211 times
    They can get it out, but it's won't be quick and it will take a lot of elbow grease. They have to keep cleaning it until it's gone. If they're the type to go: wipe, wipe, oh it's not going to ever work it's too dirty, they will never get it clean. They're going to have to keep at it with brush and chemicals and wear it down over time working at it. I've seen people load a brass brush into a drill and use that to speed up the process.
    PT22, 85 Poly, 865, 605, M44.... what's next?!

Member #
    Liked
    5276 times
    Chuck up a brass or bronze brush in a drill motor and use it to get the lead and crud out.
    Or take it to a gunsmith and have him use a chamber reamer to remove the grunge.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    35028 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    Tell'em to buy a 10mm/.40 brush and go to town on it to get the rings out of the chambers.

Soak it down with bore cleaner, let it set for 5 or 10 minutes and start scrubbing (it'll pull easier than it will push). Repeat as necessary until clean.

A Lewis Lead Remover or some bronze wool wrapped around a old bore brush would do it faster, but these guys need a lesson in the importance of upkeep and maintainence of a firearm and the application of a little elbow grease has never hurt anybody but it surely works great as a reminder.
    In other words, lots of old fashioned elbow grease!
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Member #
    Liked
    1595 times
    I noticed this years ago with my .357 Blackhawk conversion. The 9mm American eagle was nasty powder. I always ended the range trip by shooting .357. The powder ring would push easy enough as it was fresh. One or two reloads with .357 and it was good to go. Run a spent .357 case in to crape it off after shooting it. But do not let it go home to bake on uncleaned. Speaking of such, i have an AR to clean. The gnats were bad at the range so I didn't do the quick clean on the bench.

Member #
    Liked
    527 times
    MMMMMMM I mean I must be an odd-ball It TAKES me a lot of shooting to reach this level of crud in the chambers....My Dad, Fallen Comrades His Comrades, My friends whom have passed, Dads friends whom are gone. Would have risen out of the GRAVE to beat my head in until the weapon or gun was cleaned. Absolute max between cleaning I GO is 100 rounds I have had associates say to MUCH cleaning, Eh I aint calling to get fouling out so the weapon/gun is usable Eh imagine that. However Gun Scrubber Larger Bore Brush and a lot of scrubbing elbow grease is recommended if it is a STAINLESS not a BLUED, has to be STAINLESS Mothers Mag Polish may aide a little.
    Fishinkeylargo likes this.
    Taurus is as any other if I maintain Taurus My Taurus will take care of me

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    35028 times
    Carbon rings on the cylinder face of a stainless revolver can be removed by a Leadaway cloth from Birchwood Casey. Not recommended for blued finishes.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links