Springs and internals polishing in Tracker 22LR (990)
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By TexasYankee
  • 1 Post By silverstring

Thread: Springs and internals polishing in Tracker 22LR (990)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Springs and internals polishing in Tracker 22LR (990)

I have a Tracker 990 - I purchased reduced power springs from Wolff to experiment with trigger pull, and I noticed that inside the gun and on some of the component surfaces, it looks like some polishing could smooth out the trigger pull and general operation of the gun - at this point, I'm NOT interested in doing a traditional trigger job or anything with any of the engagement surfaces. I noticed, for example, that there's what appears to be a casting mark (?) or something like that on the trigger that has created rub marks (?) on the inside of the frame - I'm maybe not using the correct terminology, but the attached pictures show what I'm talking about. I'm guessing a bit of polishing down these kind of tooling marks, rough edges, etc. aren't going to be a problem? Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Name:  Taurus1.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  1.94 MB

Name:  Taurus2.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  2.71 MB
    silverstring likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    12136 times
    Open the side plate and look for any wear on surfaces, that is where polishing will help smooth out the action. Also I remove both the trigger and hammer struts and polish them butter smooth, that will make double action very smooth. Once you have done that work, then decide if you want to install new springs. Stay away from the sear surfaces, that is best left to a good gunsmith. Enjoy, take your time, review youtube videos, and then enjoy shooting a smooth revolver.
    loudviking likes this.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    7762 times
    Quote Originally Posted by silverstring View Post
    Open the side plate and look for any wear on surfaces, that is where polishing will help smooth out the action. Also I remove both the trigger and hammer struts and polish them butter smooth, that will make double action very smooth. Once you have done that work, then decide if you want to install new springs. Stay away from the sear surfaces, that is best left to a good gunsmith. Enjoy, take your time, review youtube videos, and then enjoy shooting a smooth revolver.
    And listen to what Silverstring just posted, as if you go any farther and have no experience working on firearms, you will
    end up back here asking for help too fix a messed up revolver!
    There are "four boxes" that can be employed to resist the downfall of America, the ballot box, the soap box, the jury box and, lastly, the ammo box.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    The Taurus is back together and working fine - I ran through a number of functions checks from different sites and all is good. As soon as I can get to a range, all that's left is to check for light strikes with the reduced power springs.

Member #
    Liked
    527 times
    polishing is fine by no means Dremel ,Sand or File polishing by hand or even stoning is fine..Reduced hammer springs I do not do the test and eval that was put into by engineers and assemblers know more than I do. I will stone/polish till it a mirror. NO to Dremel NO to Sand Paper NO to a File even Dremel polish wheels the high speeds have taken to much. And YES I found out the hard way. Yes even sears can be hand polished BY HAND takes time few strokes test fit, and repeat most have not the patients of going a few strokes and reassembly they get in to a rush with a Dremel or Files and sand paper. "TIME & PATIENTS"
    Last edited by Steyr; 02-26-2020 at 09:39 PM.
    Taurus is as any other if I maintain Taurus My Taurus will take care of me

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I finally got to the range today with my Taurus Tracker - light strikes or no strikes (no ignition) in DA mode, but everything worked fine in SA mode - what might be going on here?

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links