• 2 Post By Dp0424
  • 1 Post By olfarhors
  • 2 Post By funflyer

Thread: New Taurus owner

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

New Taurus owner

Hey guys new member here and I just bought my first Taurus a couple days ago! I’m no stranger to handguns but I went to clean my g2c from the factory and when I reassembled it and inserted the mag I could not chamber the round. The slide would not rack back past the mag. Eventually I was able to get the gun to chamber but when I rack the slide, the round fails to extract which causes it to fail to feed. I have not shot the gun yet and the mags have been sitting with 12 rounds in each to break them in. Any advice would be much appreciated
    loudviking and bobbojama like this.

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    7763 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dp0424 View Post
    Hey guys new member here and I just bought my first Taurus a couple days ago! I’m no stranger to handguns but I went to clean my g2c from the factory and when I reassembled it and inserted the mag I could not chamber the round. The slide would not rack back past the mag. Eventually I was able to get the gun to chamber but when I rack the slide, the round fails to extract which causes it to fail to feed. I have not shot the gun yet and the mags have been sitting with 12 rounds in each to break them in. Any advice would be much appreciated
    Check your recoil rod assembly and make sure it is seated properly, also clean your mags and use a dry lube(not much)
    when putting them back together..............
    If you can post a pic of the issue!
    There are "four boxes" that can be employed to resist the downfall of America, the ballot box, the soap box, the jury box and, lastly, the ammo box.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Is a Taurus a good gun? just asking, planning to have one. thanks!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    28089 times
    Quote Originally Posted by John Harvey View Post
    Is a Taurus a good gun? just asking, planning to have one. thanks!
    WOW!!
    talking about throwing a grenade into a room !!--LOL
    It will depend on who you ask here!
    many have had great performance with the brand , many have not!
    I own several--owned a lot more at one time!
    my return for repair rate is at or slightly above 50%.
    the one thing that I can say having owned them since 1987 and owning 10 at one time is--IF you get a good one out of the box then you likely get a real good deal on a firearm--if you get a bad one out of the box--well May God have mercy on you my Son!!
    loudviking likes this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    272 times
    First and foremost, welcome aboard. Might be a little late to this thread, but hopefully your pistol is running smoothly by now. If so, this info is for other new owners having the same concerns. If not, read on.

Many pistols have an issue with being able to chamber the first round from a closed slide when they're new. This is nothing to get worried about and there are a few things you can do to help it. First, don't try to chamber a round from a closed slide. Lock it back, insert the loaded mag and sling-shot the slide home. Another thing you can do, which I have done with a few new guns, is to increase the chamfer on the bottom of the magazine follower where the spring stacks into it. I simply use the edge of an exacto knife to scrape (not cut) the chamfer larger and more pronounced (see pic below). What happens is, as the spring is being compressed it may not stack straight as it's feeding up into the follower which can make it hang up. This is just the nature of these small springs, and can make it difficult when loading the last few rounds in a magazine, and also apply too much pressure to the top round.

As for the chamberd round not manually ejecting, again don't worry about it. It'll eject just fine with the velocity of the slide during live fire. After a few hundred rounds you'll no doubt be able to manually eject live rounds and your pistol will feel as smooth as a hot knife through butter. You'll also be able to easily chamber a round from a closed slide. Now go to the range and fire it, quit worrying and enjoy your G2C.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by funflyer; 03-19-2020 at 11:14 AM.
    bobbojama and loudviking like this.

Member #
    Liked
    4455 times
    Name:  Welcome.bmp
Views: 59
Size:  101.3 KB
    May 2020 find you safe, happy and healthy!
    Vote for the preservation of our Constitution!
    Keep
    America Great - TRUMP 2020!!!!

Member #
    Liked
    6958 times
    Welcome from South Texas.

Member #
    Liked
    527 times
    funflyer nailed it, work it break it in then after 500 rounds or so you be alright
    Taurus is as any other if I maintain Taurus My Taurus will take care of me

Member #
    Liked
    317 times
    Howdy and Welcome to the TaurusArmed forum!!!
    As to if Taurus is a good brand, my G3's have been very good and run like some higher priced pistols.
    Shut up and reload!

Sponsored Links