• 2 Post By funflyer
  • 1 Post By FRED WAHL
  • 1 Post By funflyer

Thread: Lighter sear springs for TH-40 and PT 809

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Lighter sear springs for TH-40 and PT 809

Does anyone know of a source for lighter sear springs for these 2 handguns? Is it complicated to replace the sear springs on them? I've never torn down a Taurus that far, but need to lighten up their trigger pulls. Would appreciate any replies.

Member #
    Liked
    395 times
    Fred,
    A lower pressure hammer spring is typically where you'd lighten the trigger pull. However, neither the hammer nor sear springs are available in a lower power as far as I know. So, since you asked a question that I'd been thinking about since I got my TH40, I decided to satisfy my curiosity and disassemble mine, or at least take out the fire control group(FCG) to see how it compares to other pistols. Turns out, it's pretty simple. Only one roll pin has to be removed, the one just above the back-strap. Once it's out, the FCG pulls straight up and out of the frame. The trigger bar unhooks from the FCG once it clears the frame and will remain on the trigger so it won't go anywhere. At this point you only need to watch out for a plunger and spring that are in the frame so you don't lose them. Mine stayed in place during disassembly and reassembly without issue.

When I got the FCG out, I decided to see what could be done with a lighter hammer spring. The only spring I had was a 10 pound hammer spring left over from the Wolff kit I used to lighten the triggers on my Tracker and model 65 revolvers. That spring was smaller in diameter, and longer with 9 more coils than the stock TH40 hammer spring but fit on the strut so I gave it a try. I just had to cut 4 coils from the spring to prevent binding but it fit well and did lower the trigger pull in both double and single action. Double action went from just over 10lbs down to 8lbs-4oz, and single action went from 5lbs down to 4lbs-8oz.

I did test the lighter spring on (4) CCI and Winchester primers. Had 1 light strike out of 4 with the CCI primers in double action but all 4 CCI look real strong in single action. Winchester primers looked about the same with both the stock and lighter spring (see pictures). If you reload and use Winchester or Federal primers, I doubt you'd have any problems with light strikes.

If this were strictly a range gun, I'd probably leave in the lighter spring as it does make a nice difference in the trigger pull, but since this is one of my home defense guns I put the heavy stock spring back in to make sure it stays 100% reliable. Take a look at the pics, and if you have any more questions just ask.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Member #
    Liked
    395 times
    Here's the last pic showing the primer strikes. First three are with the lighter spring. Last one is with the stock spring for comparison.
    jeeper1 and FRED WAHL like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Funflyer, many thanks for the detailed reply! I just wish I had HALF your expertise with computers, and knew how to do such a superb and detailed response!
    In looking at your pics, I don't think my 82 year old arthritic hands would be up to the task of installing a lighter hammer spring in my TH-40, with my luck there would be springs flying all over the map, and I don't know if I'd live long enough to track them all down!
    I own a bunch of Hi Point hand guns and carbines, and have managed to successfully install lighter springs under all the sears, and the improvement has been dramatic, but they have a much simpler, SA system. (All my shooting buds who own Hi Points have come to get theirs done, to lighten the triggers pulls!)
    The strange thing is, when I went to buy the TH-40, I was apprehensive of the trigger pull, (with the onset of arthritus), so I tested it by "dry firing" it numerous times, in the store, and it seemed easy enough, but when I loaded the magazine and tried it at the Range, it seemed WAY harder to press, with live rounds! (All of my shooting buds who have tried it, also gripe about the long, hard pull--)
    I also have 3 Taurus revolvers, and the trigger pull on them is awesome, in SA. (I have the Taurus "Target/Hunter" in .357, with the 12" barrel, and was able to fire 10 of my handloads into a 2" X ring, at 25 yards, from a rest, the trigger is so good!)
    I suppose I'll just have to let my TH-40 grow some cobwebs, in the back of my gun safe, as it's not one I can manage to shoot, a lot.
    Again my thanks for your taking so much time and effort, to help put!
    funflyer likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    395 times
    Fred, it could be that your hammer, sear, and trigger bar are suffering from a lack of lube. My TH40 didn't have a hint of oil on, or in it anywhere when I got it. Neither did my Tracker 44. Most shooters believe a trigger will get better with use but unless there's proper lube helping things wear in, all you'll get is galling of those parts which will make the trigger more difficult to pull. If you haven't done so already, cock the hammer and drip a few drops of oil down the face, toward the base. The oil will work it's way to all the critical points.

Anyway, just in case anyone reads this thread, and wants to tinker with their TH, here's a pic of a simple tool I made to help with the hammer spring install. It's a piece of Delrin (plastic) rod with a shallow dimple drilled into it and clamped in a vise to aid in holding the hammer strut steady. You can line things up, compress the spring and hold with one hand while clamping on the pliers.
    bigC likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links