A purely theoretical question about sear springs - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: A purely theoretical question about sear springs

Member #
    Liked
    33495 times
    Have I told you lately how very, very, very helpful you are Trucks?

Also, and I realize how weird this is, a piece of foam rubber under the sear is working! Can't see myself pulling the trigger on a live round with the foam rubber there, but it is interesting.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TrucksNCoffee View Post
    Walking barefoot could find it, too, but that might be against the Geneva Convention.
    at night.....

Member #
    Liked
    33495 times
    Okay, it's fixed. First of all, interesting note; after putting the foam under the sear, I dry fired the gun hundreds of times since post 21 above, so over 9 days. Flawless. Not one hiccup. Makes you think, eh?

Anyway, on to the more permanent solution. I got some AR-15 detent springs, and here's the process I followed. First, the sear spring from my non-View next to an AR-15 disassembly pin detent spring.

Name:  M85 sear spring 1.jpeg
Views: 18
Size:  562.0 KB

The AR-15 spring is obviously wound a bit tighter, so step one was to stretch it a bit. I used a pair of small, retired Swiss Army knife blades to stretch the spring.

Name:  M85 sear spring 2.jpeg
Views: 18
Size:  652.0 KB

Then I took some precise wire cutters and clipped it to the same length as the stock spring.

Name:  M85 sear spring 3.jpeg
Views: 17
Size:  358.0 KB

Now, the AR-15 spring is a bit heavier gauge wire. But the outside diameter is a very close match to the OD of the original spring, so it stays in place in the round depressions in the sear and hammer. And yes, I got both springs/sears/hammers reassembled without losing another spring.

I'd say my AR-sourced spring applies a bit more force than the stock spring, but I've done a few hundred test fires (with dummy rounds) with zero malfunctions. It works. And I put a Wolff mainspring in, so those trigger pulls didn't even give me arm cramps. It is now the revolver I knew it could be.
    kschilk likes this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links