Difficulty Changing Mossberg Safety
    Member #
    Liked
    2431 times

Difficulty Changing Mossberg Safety

Well, I got the NDZ Safety in the mail today, but while attempting to remove the stock safety, I stripped the stupid tamper-resistant screw.

Yes, for reasons which are beyond my comprehension as well as common-sense, Mossberg uses a one-way, tamper resistant screw on a replaceable safety, so when you take it out, you have to tap the screwdriver with a hammer as you rotate the screwdriver in order to make the screw itself turn. Well, I did that, and it felt like the screw was turning just fine, but then suddenly the screwdriver slipped and wouldn't turn anymore. I checked it out and the screw head is deformed just enough that the screwdriver won't engage the head anymore. Never at any point did it feel like I was forcing the screw, it seemed to be turning just fine, then the screws slipped loose and the screw was deformed.
    Now, I could just get a larger screwdriver that would fit into the now deformed flat-head slot, but at this point I'm afraid to try out of fear of making it worse and rendering the safety inoperable.

As it stands, the stock safety still works fine, so I'd sooner cut my loses than press my luck. Maybe at some point I'll take it to a gunsmith or something and have them swap it out, but for the moment I don't even want to think about it. Frankly, I'm annoyed at Mossberg for inexplicably using a tamper-resistant, one-way screw on a part that is meant to be replaceable. It should have just been an ordinary screw, then I could have easily removed it, but no.
    "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco Remírez - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Same

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    27940 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuco_Ramírez View Post
    Well, I got the NDZ Safety in the mail today, but while attempting to remove the stock safety, I stripped the stupid tamper-resistant screw.

Yes, for reasons which are beyond my comprehension as well as common-sense, Mossberg uses a one-way, tamper resistant screw on a replaceable safety, so when you take it out, you have to tap the screwdriver with a hammer as you rotate the screwdriver in order to make the screw itself turn. Well, I did that, and it felt like the screw was turning just fine, but then suddenly the screwdriver slipped and wouldn't turn anymore. I checked it out and the screw head is deformed just enough that the screwdriver won't engage the head anymore. Never at any point did it feel like I was forcing the screw, it seemed to be turning just fine, then the screws slipped loose and the screw was deformed.
    Now, I could just get a larger screwdriver that would fit into the now deformed flat-head slot, but at this point I'm afraid to try out of fear of making it worse and rendering the safety inoperable.

As it stands, the stock safety still works fine, so I'd sooner cut my loses than press my luck. Maybe at some point I'll take it to a gunsmith or something and have them swap it out, but for the moment I don't even want to think about it. Frankly, I'm annoyed at Mossberg for inexplicably using a tamper-resistant, one-way screw on a part that is meant to be replaceable. It should have just been an ordinary screw, then I could have easily removed it, but no.
    I'm sure that screw was designed by a lawyer for some ridiculous reason and removing it has been described as a walk through the valley of cussing. I did replace my safety and that wonderful screw. The replacement screw I believe is a 6-32x1/2" or the original factory replacement screw is this, https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005523151?pid=432412

This is the safety I installed:

Last edited by Fishinkeylargo; 01-28-2020 at 02:14 PM.
    NRA-Patriot Endowment Life Member-Benefactor Level
    GOA-Life Member
    SAF-Member
    Deplorable-Life Member
    DADDD Member-Dads Against Daughters Dating Democrats

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who didn't." -- Ben Franklin

“Better to fight for something than live for nothing."-- George S. Patton

“During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act” — George Orwell

Member #
    Liked
    27354 times
    and NOW we know why they refer to it as a Tamper resistant screw--LOL.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2431 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue View Post
    I'm sure that screw was designed by a lawyer for some ridiculous reason and removing it has been described as a walk through the valley of cussing. I did replace my safety and that wonderful screw. The replacement screw I believe is a 6-32x1/2" or the original factory replacement screw is this, https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005523151?pid=432412

This is the safety I installed:

Yeah, that's what I suspect as well, but it seems so horribly counterproductive to have every other screw be non-tamper-resistant so that everything, including the extractors (which are obviously far more durable than a plastic safety switch) can be replaced at home with nothing more than a flat-head screwdriver.

I gave it another try this morning, but got absolutely nowhere so I quit. I'll call my LGS in a couple days and ask if they have a gunsmith (or anyone who can remove a boogered up one-way safety screw) on hand who can replace it for me. Because although the safety os still operational, I have even less faith in its longevity now that I've gone and messed up the screw holding it in place.

All the stupid videos I watched and guides I read made it sound so easy, making it out as if all you have to do is take a screwdriver and a hammer, line of the screwdriver between a groove and a bump, then lightly tap the screwdriver with a hammer to get it to bite into the raised surface, then just rotate the screw out as you would any other screw.
    Meanwhile, unless something has changed within the past couple of years and Mossberg is using much harder screws, tapping the screwdriver with a hammer does nothing but scratch the surface, and hitting it harder would take a very long time to get it to dig in deep enough to provide adequate seating for the screwdriver to simply rotate it out without practically leaning on it.

For reference, here's a pic of the safety screw...

And here's a pic of the screw on mine now...

Not the clearest picture, I know, but you can at least see that it's worse for the wear, and likely well beyond the point that I could possibly get it into working order.

The safety I have is identical to yours, except that it's orange.
    Last edited by Fishinkeylargo; 01-28-2020 at 02:15 PM.
    "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco Remírez - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    27940 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olfarhors View Post
    and NOW we know why they refer to it as a Tamper resistant screw--LOL.
    In this case it's even temper resistant. I did manage it on both my 590 and my Shockwave, but it's a lot of fun.
    NRA-Patriot Endowment Life Member-Benefactor Level
    GOA-Life Member
    SAF-Member
    Deplorable-Life Member
    DADDD Member-Dads Against Daughters Dating Democrats

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who didn't." -- Ben Franklin

“Better to fight for something than live for nothing."-- George S. Patton

“During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act” — George Orwell

oso
    Member #
    Liked
    1630 times
    They do make a bit you can put in a screwdriver or drill/driver to remove screws like that. Security doors use the same type screw the bit is needed to remove those screws, without it I don't know how I would remove the screws.

Member #
    Liked
    2431 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue View Post
    In this case it's even temper resistant. I did manage it on both my 590 and my Shockwave, but it's a lot of fun.
    How exactly did you do it? If you wouldn't mind giving me step by step instructions, then I would appreciate it, as if it's still possible then obviously I'd rather do it myself than take it to a gunsmith.

Quote Originally Posted by oso View Post
    They do make a bit you can put in a screwdriver or drill/driver to remove screws like that. Security doors use the same type screw the bit is needed to remove those screws, without it I don't know how I would remove the screws.
    I got my dad one of those Grabit Stripped Screw Removers about a decade ago for Christmas. I'll have to ask him if he still has it.

Member #
    Liked
    3260 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuco_Ramírez View Post
    Yeah, that's what I suspect as well, but it seems so horribly counterproductive to have every other screw be non-tamper-resistant so that everything, including the extractors (which are obviously far more durable than a plastic safety switch) can be replaced at home with nothing more than a flat-head screwdriver.

I gave it another try this morning, but got absolutely nowhere so I quit. I'll call my LGS in a couple days and ask if they have a gunsmith (or anyone who can remove a boogered up one-way safety screw) on hand who can replace it for me. Because although the safety os still operational, I have even less faith in its longevity now that I've gone and messed up the screw holding it in place.

All the stupid videos I watched and guides I read made it sound so easy, making it out as if all you have to do is take a screwdriver and a hammer, line of the screwdriver between a groove and a bump, then lightly tap the screwdriver with a hammer to get it to bite into the raised surface, then just rotate the screw out as you would any other screw.
    Meanwhile, unless something has changed within the past couple of years and Mossberg is using much harder screws, tapping the screwdriver with a hammer does nothing but scratch the surface, and hitting it harder would take a very long time to get it to dig in deep enough to provide adequate seating for the screwdriver to simply rotate it out without practically leaning on it.

For reference, here's a pic of the safety screw...

And here's a pic of the screw on mine now...

Not the clearest picture, I know, but you can at least see that it's worse for the wear, and likely well beyond the point that I could possibly get it into working order.

The safety I have is identical to yours, except that it's orange.
    I just (carefully) broke the plastic switch off with a pair of pliers and then removed the screw with vice grips.

I wasn't going to use the old one anyway.

***OR, you could use the cutting wheel on a Dremel to notch the screw head slightly......which would be far easier (in theory!).***
    Last edited by paulky_2000; 01-26-2020 at 08:44 AM.
    If you're blue and you don't know where to go to, why don't you go where fashion sits......PUTIN ON A RITZ!!!

Member #
    Liked
    2431 times
    Quote Originally Posted by paulky_2000 View Post
    I just (carefully) broke the plastic switch off with a pair of pliers and then removed the screw with vice grips.

I wasn't going to use the old one anyway.

***OR, you could use the cutting wheel on a Dremel to notch the screw head slightly......which would be far easier (in theory!).***
    I have considered this, but hesitate to do so out of worry that I would lose the spring/ball bearing in the process of removing the switch so destructively, not to mention scratching the finish.

Member #
    Liked
    27354 times
    Quote Originally Posted by oso View Post

Just FYI--a Fire Axe and Power Saw works amazingly well!!!
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Sponsored Links