Front Sight Improvement ...??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Front Sight Improvement ...??

Member #
    Isle of Man. Which is GB but NOT UK. Home of the world's biggest motorcycle races
    Liked
    134 times

Front Sight Improvement ...??

I have this 669.. and I'm curious as to how I can improve the visibility of the front sight. Obviously it can't be replaced with a new blade and I know I could get some sight paint, but is there another option which I haven't considered?
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by ManxTom; 08-24-2019 at 11:31 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    3218 times
    I'm sure a decent gunsmith could mill a dovetail slot, in place of that front sight post. Maybe that way you could go with a Hi-Viz front sight post or something along those lines?
    loudviking likes this.
    Are we there yet?
    USMC 83'-87'
    Indiana CCW, Utah CCW
    NRA Member

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1389 times
    I just use white nail polish on the top of my front site it helps a lot under bad light its a cheap fix but it works
    They made us many promises, more than i can remember, but they never kept but one; they promised to take our land, and they took it."
    Red Cloud

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    26900 times
    there are a multitude of different finger nail polish colors and then there is also the phosphorescent paints on the market that could be used.
    I wouldn't get into smith work and a lot of tooling, you gonna have a lot more in the gun than you could ever get out of it.
    dogchild and Desperado like this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    6535 times
    I would judiciously reshape the blade into a Partridge style and then paint it the color that works best for you, nail polish or day glo or what ever. Try coloring it as it is now before changing it.
    taurustoter likes this.
    U.S. Navy 2-63/3-86 Retired E-8, MMCS
    Caterpillar Field Service Tech 1988-2007
    Retired and loving it!!!!!

Member #
    Isle of Man. Which is GB but NOT UK. Home of the world's biggest motorcycle races
    Liked
    134 times
    Quote Originally Posted by guesser View Post
    I would judiciously reshape the blade into a Partridge style.....
    Could you enlighten me on this 'partridge' style blade? It's not a concept I have knowledge of. Cheers..

Member #
    Liked
    22234 times
    A Patridge (note it's not Partridge like the bird, it was developed by E.E. Patridge...only one "r") could be fitted. Rather than a ramp that tends to reflect light back at you, it has a vertical or slightly undercut rear face. A dovetail would work but a more common method is to cut a slot in the front ramp and then pin the sight in. Like..

Name:  s-l300.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  12.1 KB

Another option is a sight base that has a spring loaded slot that accepts S&W DX sight blades. The entire front sight is milled off and then drilled and tapped for the sight base. Then you can put any blade style or height you want in it.

I've done both. The latter really doesn't cost that much more. Yes, there's more to mill off but once it's chucked up in a mill there's not a whole lot of difference between cutting a slot for the blade or just milling it all off. There is the cost of the base. But then you can use any blade you want. I like them on .357's because it's not uncommon to run out of adjustment room when you're dealing with such a range of bullet weights in .38 and .357 both.The point of impact change between a 110 gr .357 full house load and a 200 gr .38 spl is tremendous. With the base it's easy to change the height of the front sight.

Various companies make a variety of sight blades plain, gold bead, fiber optic....anything you want.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/100595908
    https://dawsonprecision.com/s-w-dx-c...-front-sights/
    Last edited by glenwolde; 08-25-2019 at 02:21 PM.
    taurustoter and loudviking like this.
    Definition of clip

1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip

Member #
    Liked
    134 times
    Quote Originally Posted by glenwolde View Post
    A Patridge (note it's not Partridge like the bird, it was developed by E.E. Patridge...only one "r") could be fitted. Rather than a ramp that tends to reflect light back at you, it has a vertical or slightly undercut rear face. A dovetail would work but a more common method is to cut a slot in the front ramp and then pin the sight in. Like..

Name:  s-l300.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  12.1 KB

Another option is a sight base that has a spring loaded slot that accepts S&W DX sight blades. The entire front sight is milled off and then drilled and tapped for the sight base. Then you can put any blade style or height you want in it.

I've done both. The latter really doesn't cost that much more. Yes, there's more to mill off but once it's chucked up in a mill there's not a whole lot of difference between cutting a slot for the blade or just milling it all off. There is the cost of the base. But then you can use any blade you want. I like them on .357's because it's not uncommon to run out of adjustment room when you're dealing with such a range of bullet weights in .38 and .357 both.The point of impact change between a 110 gr .357 full house load and a 200 gr .38 spl is tremendous. With the base it's easy to change the height of the front sight.

Various companies make a variety of sight blades plain, gold bead, fiber optic....anything you want.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/100595908
    https://dawsonprecision.com/s-w-dx-c...-front-sights/

Thanks guys. Makes for very envious reading as there is no conceivable way I can get any 'proper' gunsmithing done due to my location. As I have posed in other threads, we can own and shoot handguns.. BUT in England, where I know a bus load of good 'smiths, handguns such as these are banned outright. So even if one of them would do it, I can't get it to them - legally. In a similar vein we had shooters who were to take part in an international competition, in Gibraltar. They couldn't go because they would have to pass through the UK to get there.. and handguns are banned right...!!!

I'll probably go down the route of acrylic paint. Many thanks for your thoughts though.

Member #
    Liked
    6535 times
    Manxtom.......this is a pic of a Taurus Model 761, 32 H&R magnum. The frame size is the same as your 66. Take a look at the front sight.
    U.S. Navy 2-63/3-86 Retired E-8, MMCS
    Caterpillar Field Service Tech 1988-2007
    Retired and loving it!!!!!

Member #
    Liked
    22234 times
    Yeah....I kind of missed the whole "Isle of Man" location and really went off on a tangent. If there's no machinist around that can do that for you I think you're limited to paint / nail polish.
    Definition of clip

1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links