Gun Grease
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Gun Grease

Member #
    Liked
    10065 times

Gun Grease

For many years I had heard about Lubriplate SFL-0 being the best gun grease, but it was hard to find, unless you wanted a 5 gallon pail full of it. Then MidwayUSA started carrying this stuff in a 15 oz. bucket, problem solved. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/19...ease-15-oz-tub

Still 15 ounces is a lot of grease, so I got these 2 ounce screw top plastic jars (from the overnight section of Wally World), plus a couple of small 2 and 4 oz. glass jars (that formerly held the wife's cosmetics). I think I have filled about a half dozen of these so far, and I still have about half the grease left. I throw the smaller jars in my cleaning kits, leave one on my work bench, one by my EDC guns, and threw one jar in my range bag.

So what is this Lubriplate SFL-0 like? It is a white, very light grease. It looks and feels like you took regular white grease and put it in a blender so it comes out with the consistency of whipped cream. It is light oil grease. Like regular grease it stays in place and doesn't or move when hot. I have been using it on my carry pistols for months now, and it works, but it is hard to tell if it works better than the regular gun grease that I have been using for years. So I have some EDC folding knives that are a little stiff and I got the idea to do something about that. I took them apart, buffed the pivot points, washers in this case, and lock points, greased with this Lubriplate and reassembled. Now they are smooth as butter, but the best part is that the light oil I have always used in the past seeped out over a week or so as the knife warmed when I carried them. This is not a problem with this Lubriplate grease. This stuff is amazing.
    777Driver, bobbojama, oso and 2 others like this.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    469 times
    Sounds ok. Any lube is lube and better than running dry. Running dry happens at what point, round count , temperature... Heat and friction , what stands up to this? LOL,
    I'm not sure. I beat on this horse until i got happy with a combination of CLP, High temp stainless steel grease and true dry lube. Not that silicone/Teflon BS but like militec-1 dry lube. I stay away from silicone and Teflon.
    I inspected my firearms on range trips while hot and after. I looked for drying, performance of lube, build up of burned power, fouling... I cleaned, relubed according to what i found. I then ran another 200-300 rounds while looking for changes. I know my guns and what needs grease, a little oil or both ( like the barrel lug on my Beretta PX4). I'll try most anything but for the most part, it's about the right amount of the right product for the application. Grease where grease goes and oil where oil goes. Are some products better than others? In some applications, you bet but for any round count less than 100 in a regularly used and maintained gun. Any of todays products are going to stand up fine.
    Now 300 to 500 rounds builds a lot of heat. Heat breaks down viscosity. Look at your gun and see what's going on.

Member #
    Liked
    25788 times
    we used the Lubri plate for decades to lubricate Fire Hydrants here.
    as mentioned it came in a 5 gallon pail and I understand was quite expensive.
    they (city) quit ordering it and went to a different less expensive lubricant.
    don't know what they use now if anything?
    Hell we used the Lubri-plate to grease everything around the fire station.
    GreenWolf70 and oso like this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3574 times
    LUBRIPLATE SFL-0 grease is excellent stuff! It's all I use on my all stainless AutoMag III.
    GreenWolf70 likes this.
    Let slip the dogs of War...
    Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

Member #
    Liked
    49 times
    I found John Deere cornheader grease works pretty good, its made to not leak out of a gear box, so it stays where you put it.
    GreenWolf70 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1736 times
    This sounds like some fascinating stuff, but I don't use any grease on my guns. After cleaning, I use RemOil (liberally) and then wipe down with cotton patches.

Should I use grease instead of oil, grease in addition to oil (on the slide contacts or more/less), or just ponder the meaning of life?

Member #
    Liked
    10065 times
    For those of us who CC daily, oil tends to run out and stain your shirt and/or pants. Grease stays put, even when it gets warm. I tend to use grease on the rails of my pistols, a very light coat on barrel of auto pistols, and other places where it is metal on metal. A light coat of oil on the barrel linkage. I use DFL (usually Militech1) on the striker assemblies so I don't get dust, dirt and grime build up there.
    Czechbikr and DeltaBravoKS like this.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    25788 times
    Yeppers!
    if it slides it gets grease, if it rotates it gets oil, if its part of the striker/firing pin system it gets a dri lubricant.
    the slides/rails definitely get a good quality grease.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.

oso
    Member #
    Liked
    1459 times
    I used to use grease until I received a free sample of Lucas gun oil, never thought newer oils were better, I was wrong. I will keep a open mind on new lubricants. Never tried Lubriplate may have to.

Member #
    Liked
    25788 times
    I have pretty much always thought that the new lubricants were better, be it for guns , automobiles or what ever.
    MY question is how much added protection is needed?
    I mean if i were sailing on the ocean and such or in super bad climates possibly long term it would be a benefit.
    if I didn't have access to a lubricant for weeks/months then that also would play a part.
    also full automatic weapons get an additional operational boost from the newer lubes due to friction/ heat etc.
    but I honestly have never had a problem with just plain old Hoppes #9, and any of the guns even from back in the 50-60's.
    that being said I do use CLP, rem lube and gun grease but they really aren't much more expensive than regular old gun oils and the grease behaves a lot better for me.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links