Taurus Firearm Forum banner

G2c failure to return to battery after 50 or so rounds fired.

5K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  taurustoter 
#1 ·
https://imgur.com/a/Tuzay0n

Has anyone seen this and have a fix? Gun was purchased just under a year ago (a few weeks shy), and probably has 500-1,000 rounds fired through it. I thought I solved the problem after a good cleaning and lube, but it's back and I am thinking of sending it in for repair.

Often after somewhere 50-or-so rounds fired, it will stop returning to battery. I have to eject the magazine, and either give a good push forward to get the slide in place or try and eject the round all together. Once it starts happening it is pretty consistent after every shot.

If I take it home, give it a good cleaning and lube, it goes away for a while. I've tried both going light on the lube (on the premise that residue is clinging to a critical component with a tight tolerance causing it to jam), and going liberal on it as well (on the premise that i'm not using enough). Regardless, having the gun begin to fail pretty consistently after 100 rounds worries me a lot.

I usually fire cheap 115gr ammo, but have had it happen in more premium heavier ammo as well. For general target shooting, I'd much rather use the cheap stuff however.

See less See more
#3 ·
silverstring mentions several things it could be, recoil spring or out of spec ammo would be my first guess.
try taking some lube (oil) with you to the range, when it begins to lock up try giving the rails a tad of oil and see if that works.
quality control and machining tolerances are one of the things that one generally gives up with lesser priced weapons so expect a lot of variation in specs.

#4 ·
What sort of ammo are you shooting? I had that issue with some reloads I was trying out - the powder wasn't burning completely and was clogging the chamber. Stopped using Blue Dot for my automatics and have had no issue since.

#5 ·
I had some failure to battery problems with my PT111 G2 witch is the same as your G2c
It was the ammo , it did not like a bullet with the OAL over 1.145" , that at the time was Fed. Eagle 115 and Independence 115 both made by Federal
All other ammo and even my cast bullets no problem
The ogive was hitting the lands in the barrel

Try the plunk and twist test
Remove the barrel from your pistol , clean it , drop a live round down in the chamber -- you should here a plunk -- try to twist the case in the chamber -- if it dose not twist then the bullet is touching the rifling lands and needs different ammo

#6 ·
Try the plunk and twist test
Remove the barrel from your pistol , clean it , drop a live round down in the chamber -- you should here a plunk -- try to twist the case in the chamber -- if it dose not twist then the bullet is touching the rifling lands and needs different ammo
Yep!
now that is my recommendation as well!
OAL doesn/t always give you a true indication of IF a ammo will chamber cleanly.
Being a reloader I always try the old plunk/ and spin test with any new projectile, its not that the projectile is heavier, longer but it can be simply that the taper at the nose is different and comes in contact with the barrel lands before it can reach the proper depth in the chamber.
it really doesn't mattter if its factory or reload!
now all that being said IF the ammo is the problem however I would expect function problems right from the beginning, not after firing several rounds.

#7 ·
I too recommend a thouroug cleaning with Hoppes # 9 solvent and use a computer air blaster can to blow out all debris,this will almost certainley do the trick and be generous with oil and lubeing but dont over do it ! We have three G2C in the house and over 1,500 rounds thru each with not one issue using our cleaning practice !

#9 · (Edited)
OK, yes it was the ammo. Last fall I broke a foot, and hadn't been to the range for a few months. All I remember was last Aug/Sept having this issue a few times before I stopped shooting, so I didn't make the connection last week that it would happen when I started to shoot from a box of Midwest Ammo in my bag.

I would run through a box or two of "good" stuff (Remington, Federal, even Tula) without a problem, and then I would open a half-used box of midwest ammo in the bottom of the gun bag. Then it jammed. I would go home all pissed off that it was jamming again, clean it, and give it a good lubing. I'd then put a couple of new boxes of ammo in my bag and hit the range. Cycle through that just fine, and see that midwest box at the bottom of the gun bag and... jammed again.

This time I started with that half open box because I still had the cartridges in the magazine, and I started out having the problem after a good solid cleaning and lube the night before. I even took apart the gun at the range to try clean/lube it up a bit more, and had the problem still.

So I opened up a box of Blazer Brass 124gr and shot 50 rounds flawlessly. Then shot 100 rounds of Blazer 115gr flawlessly. Then a final 8 rounds of Federal without a problem till my time was up.

I think what was happening is the ejector wasn't fitting over the case, which is why it was getting jammed where it jammed.

This has made me initiate a practice of having a spread sheet to track range time and failures, so I can get a better idea when some ammo may cause more problems than others.

#11 ·
I had bought some of that Midwest a couple years ago at Point Blank in Cincinnati. Worst re-manufactured ammo since Ken's Custom. Ken guys loaded up some really soft 9mm that had me thinking my PT92 and Beretta M9 were junk.

My CCP and PT111 G2 hated it. I had to bump the slide close a couple of times on the PT. $7.50 a box when I bought it. Point Blank was using it as their range ammo at the time.

Maloy

#10 ·
or--when buying a new brand/style of ammo remove the barrel from the gun and try the old plunk and spin test.
glad you got it figured out.

#14 ·
an yet many high volume, most used military weapons are from Europe where steel cased ammo is standard.
My Tanfoglio and CZ never (so far) missed a beat when shooting the stuff.
now they don't get much of it as I reload and shoot Brass cased, but there have been several times where someones weapon was having problems at the range and I would run a few of their steel cased factory ammo through mine and of course the ever cheap buddy that buys the stuff and I may get asked to try thiers for accuracy in my guns.

#16 ·
but yet again, I believe that any weapon that is considered good "approved" for NATO use must under go testing, very stringent long round count testing to assure a certain amount of function, reliability and use in battlefield conditions, using the NATO approved rounds.
pretty much the same as American military test for pistols.
now I am speaking mainly to Pistols here as that was the general subject.
so a certain amount of fit and polish must be built into those weapons as well as a certain amount of play or looseness.

#19 ·
EXACTLY
we may not have the correct answer but we usually give an answer, usually accompanied with opinions--which also may or may not be correct or popular.
but we do our part!

Reactions: taurustoter and oso
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.