G2c failure to return to battery after 50 or so rounds fired. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: G2c failure to return to battery after 50 or so rounds fired.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2421 times
    I had bought some of that Midwest a couple years ago at Point Blank in Cincinnati. Worst re-manufactured ammo since Ken's Custom. Ken guys loaded up some really soft 9mm that had me thinking my PT92 and Beretta M9 were junk.

My CCP and PT111 G2 hated it. I had to bump the slide close a couple of times on the PT. $7.50 a box when I bought it. Point Blank was using it as their range ammo at the time.

Maloy

Quote Originally Posted by CluelessJoeJackson View Post
    OK, yes it was the ammo. Last fall I broke a foot, and hadn't been to the range for a few months. All I remember was last Aug/Sept having this issue a few times before I stopped shooting, so I didn't make the connection last week that it would happen when I started to shoot from a box of Midwest Ammo in my bag.

I would run through a box or two of "good" stuff (Remington, Federal, even Tula) without a problem, and then I would open a half-used box of midwest ammo in the bottom of the gun bag. Then it jammed. I would go home all pissed off that it was jamming again, clean it, and give it a good lubing. I'd then put a couple of new boxes of ammo in my bag and hit the range. Cycle through that just fine, and see that midwest box at the bottom of the gun bag and... jammed again.

This time I started with that half open box because I still had the cartridges in the magazine, and I started out having the problem after a good solid cleaning and lube the night before. I even took apart the gun at the range to try clean/lube it up a bit more, and had the problem still.

So I opened up a box of Blazer Brass 124gr and shot 50 rounds flawlessly. Then shot 100 rounds of Blazer 115gr flawlessly. Then a final 8 rounds of Federal without a problem till my time was up.

I think what was happening is the ejector wasn't fitting over the case, which is why it was getting jammed where it jammed.

This has made me initiate a practice of having a spread sheet to track range time and failures, so I can get a better idea when some ammo may cause more problems than others.

Member #
    Liked
    2785 times
    Welp, sounds like it's all right now huh?
    Are we there yet?
    USMC 83'-87'
    Indiana CCW, Utah CCW
    NRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    One thing I do with all my guns is give the chamber and bore a good cleaning with J-B, bore compound, a polished chamber goes a long way to help an auto function, poor ammo especially steel case ammo (in my opinion) will really mess up a chamber.
    taurustoter likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    25418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    One thing I do with all my guns is give the chamber and bore a good cleaning with J-B, bore compound, a polished chamber goes a long way to help an auto function, poor ammo especially steel case ammo (in my opinion) will really mess up a chamber.
    an yet many high volume, most used military weapons are from Europe where steel cased ammo is standard.
    My Tanfoglio and CZ never (so far) missed a beat when shooting the stuff.
    now they don't get much of it as I reload and shoot Brass cased, but there have been several times where someones weapon was having problems at the range and I would run a few of their steel cased factory ammo through mine and of course the ever cheap buddy that buys the stuff and I may get asked to try thiers for accuracy in my guns.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    To each his own, many military weapons have "loose" fit chambers such as the Ak47,certainly they will eat steel cased ammo, look I'm not telling people to not use steel case one thing is we still have a fairly free country but I will not use steel case only if I cannot find brass. Manufactures today do not polish parts to any degree my point was using JB compound will give you a more clean chamber to run any ammo even cheap stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by olfarhors View Post
    an yet many high volume, most used military weapons are from Europe where steel cased ammo is standard.
    My Tanfoglio and CZ never (so far) missed a beat when shooting the stuff.
    now they don't get much of it as I reload and shoot Brass cased, but there have been several times where someones weapon was having problems at the range and I would run a few of their steel cased factory ammo through mine and of course the ever cheap buddy that buys the stuff and I may get asked to try thiers for accuracy in my guns.
    taurustoter likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    25418 times
    but yet again, I believe that any weapon that is considered good "approved" for NATO use must under go testing, very stringent long round count testing to assure a certain amount of function, reliability and use in battlefield conditions, using the NATO approved rounds.
    pretty much the same as American military test for pistols.
    now I am speaking mainly to Pistols here as that was the general subject.
    so a certain amount of fit and polish must be built into those weapons as well as a certain amount of play or looseness.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    6929 times
    My (cheap, lower quality) PT111G2 eats anything I put through it, well over 5000 rounds...................
    Have to excuse me, Taurus does make good guns, regardless of price..............
    There are "four boxes" that can be employed to resist the downfall of America, the ballot box, the soap box, the jury box and, lastly, the ammo box.

Member #
    Liked
    29870 times
    Lookie there, the forum provided the answer!

Glad to have you with us! Hope you stick around!
    loudviking likes this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    25418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHorse View Post
    Lookie there, the forum provided the answer!

Glad to have you with us! Hope you stick around!
    EXACTLY
    we may not have the correct answer but we usually give an answer, usually accompanied with opinions--which also may or may not be correct or popular.
    but we do our part!
    oso and taurustoter like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2785 times
    Quote Originally Posted by loudviking View Post
    My (cheap, lower quality) PT111G2 eats anything I put through it, well over 5000 rounds...................
    Have to excuse me, Taurus does make good guns, regardless of price..............
    No, no way jay. Taurus makes junk...JUNK! Just look it up on the internet! I like junk, so I have four Taurus guns, but I'm fine with how crappy they build their stuff...because the internet says so.
    Are we there yet?
    USMC 83'-87'
    Indiana CCW, Utah CCW
    NRA Member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links