Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Stuck Cylinder in Revolver, help a newbie out

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Question Stuck Cylinder in Revolver, help a newbie out

Hey Everyone,

So yesterday my I went to my grandfathers house for a visit and he gave me a revolver for a graduation present. I was super excited about this but i have experienced a problem with it. When I first got it the Cylinder or the spiny thing the bullets go into was tough to get in and out of the gun. I messed around with it when I got home and it got stuck inside the weapon from me forcing it in I guess but don't think I pushed that hard to get it in. It appears to me and im not very good at guns right now that it is stuck almost inside but not quite all the way in and locked because I can not pull the Trigger. The Release for the spinny thing is also in the forward position but i can pull it back if i try. The Hammer ca can be pulled back about a 1/4 of the way and the trigger goes back little when I do so but it will not go back anymore. Also when I look under the Barrel there seems to be a gap that should not be there which is why I don't think it is in all the way(pic 2). There is no ammo in the gun at all. I Attached alot of pictures to hopefully help you guys out. If you could try to explain with like not gun terms it could be fantastic because my knowledge is little.
    I will Check this often so please ask questions if you have them!
    Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Nice looking old 5-screw!
    Most likely the ejector plunger has become unscrewed. This is a pretty common problem. Since your gun is older, its ejector plunger may have right hand threads, but newer ones have left hand threads. If you can turn the knurled end with fingers, that is probably the easiest. If not, try pulling the trigger as far as it will go gently, and slip a business card or some other thin material through the gap between the cylinder and frame to hold the cylinder bolt down, then turn the cylinder while holding the ejector plunger.

Best Regards
    Trapshooter1107
    Sekol and silverstring like this.

Member #
    Liked
    7278 times
    Revolvers like S&W & Taurus are prone to having the ejector rod become loose and unscrew by itself during firing or cycling. . When it unscrews itself it becomes longer and locks up the gun. The ejector rod on a S&W is a left hand thread so to tighten so it has to be turned clockwise. I know this is hard to do when the ejector rod is locked in the housing but with care it can be done. I've used a small thin piece of leather and a small set of pliers to turn the rod enough to get the gun unlocked. Put the leather around the knurled end of the ejector rod and turn it with the pliers until it shortens the rod and the gun can be unlocked.
    Good Luck
    Last edited by .452dia; 04-24-2017 at 01:01 PM.
    Aberdog1, Panda and silverstring like this.
    NC DCJTSD Certified Concealed Carry Handgun Instructor
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46443 times
    Nice looking revolver .452dia gave some good advice. Try to avoid forcing it open.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Taurusarmed.net Where are you map?

Member #
    Liked
    5928 times
    I would suggest perhaps taking it to a gunsmith and let him/her figure it out. Perhaps you could convince them to even let you watch them perform the repairs. Good luck and please don't let a few bad remarks keep you from visiting this site in the future. Let us know when you get it fixed.
    .452dia, rodfair and Aberdog1 like this.
    I'll give you to the count of three to get off my property...one, two, BANG!

Member #
    Liked
    2730 times
    Am I getting old and just don't remember things correctly or are there a couple of posts missing... Did someone get sent to the Dungeons?
    Rickenbacher39 likes this.
    Hang together or Hang seperately

JR
    Member #
    Liked
    8677 times
    If you really are that new to guns, a gunsmith might be your best, and safest path. That way, nothing gets bent or marred.

It happens, so add checking it for looseness whenever you clean it in the future. If it has an issue with loosening, a tiny bit of BLUE Loctite should cure it.

There's nothing wrong with the gun, it's a maintenance issue.
    Panda likes this.
    "The past is another country, he did things differently there."

Member #
    Liked
    21127 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Aberdog1 View Post
    Am I getting old and just don't remember things correctly or are there a couple of posts missing... Did someone get sent to the Dungeons?
    Hopefully............and I agree with Panda.
    Take it to a gunsmith. Ask for help and ask to be educated as to what happened.
    I have been in to firearms for 50 years now. I'm still an idiot............
    Last edited by Rickenbacher39; 04-25-2017 at 03:09 PM.
    Aberdog1 likes this.
    The Average American Now Complains More In A Week Than
    People Living Through The Black Plague Did Their Entire Lives

Member #
    Liked
    2730 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacher39 View Post
    Hopefully............and I agree with Panda.
    Take it to a gunsmith. Ask for help and ask to be educated as to what happened.
    I have been in to firearms for 50 years now. I'm still an idiot............
    into is one word and I agree. I'm 66 and still learning also...
    Hang together or Hang seperately

Member #
    Liked
    22202 times
    To clarify, the stick (ejector) coming out the front of the spiny thing (cylinder) screws in and out of the spiny thing. If it comes loose it can screw itself out and cause things to be too tight because it is now too long to lock up with the front thingy on the bottom of the barrel. If you apply too much force here you can bend that stick. Try to turn it as it is now and see if you can screw it in. As stated before, it might be a left hand thread.

That might be hard to do in it's current state. Professional assistance is not a bad idea.
    guesser and silverstring like this.
    Definition of clip

1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links