Taurus Finish Update per Miami
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Taurus Finish Update per Miami

Member #
    Liked
    758 times

Taurus Finish Update per Miami

So I picked some brains today at Taurus and got some good news about the updated and or improved? Taurus gun finish approaches.

So I went to my tech connection Juan at Taurus. This young man is a huge asset to the company because he loves guns he loves Taurus's and he is interested in learning and information gathering. He also aspires to be a gunsmith so his heart is in it. So I told him about my Black Oxide woahs and the fact that this is a poor gun finish. So he tells me that they have started applying the matte finish in Miami for warranty repairs etc. since obviously they can't ship them back to Brazil. He said infact if someone wants that finish on an older worn out model they will bead blast it and apply the new finish for $85. So I told him about what the cold blue oxide process is and that it is not super desirable in my opinion. So he says that's not good at all but said he knows a guy there(who was there when I called) that is being trained on the process and he is going to put me on hold and go ask the guy how they do it. I was like "My Man"! That's awesome.

When he came back he said the way they do it in Miami is they strip the gun and then dip it in a hot bath of solution for three hours. I asked a second time"hot solution" he said yeah that's what the guy told him and he was playing around with one of the guys finished guns a Taurus 1911, said it looked great.

So in conclusion unless they use a completely different process in Miami than Brazil which wouldn't make much sense since companies usually stick to proprietary approaches and wouldn't finish a product one way and then another way after the fact there is a good chance this could be hot black oxide or parkerization on top of the carbon steel which is excellent.

It was also clarified to me today that the matte stainless finish is applied to stainless steel. This is very good news!
    TonyC2639, darbo, Sekol and 7 others like this.
    Where Gods Spirit is Liberty Abounds!
    ---AdesteAnimo

Member #
    Liked
    5879 times
    Yes it is very good news! And very interesting! That's not a bad price at all for a new finish either. Thanks for digging out that info and sharing it with us.
    That's Juan piece of information I won't forget!
    AdesteAnimo, Sekol and Sonnyd like this.
    "I can't fix stupid but I can fix stupid's dog"

Taurus PT111 G2, Taurus 709 Slim, Ruger Blackhawk .45LC/.45ACP, High Standard Double Nine .22/.22WMR, AR-15 .223/5.56 PSA, Herter's FN Mauser 30.06, Remington 572 Fieldmaster Pump .22, Savage 93R17F, Mossberg 715T, Raven P25

Member #
    Liked
    27391 times
    OK, call me dense here but?
    why would someone apply a stainless finish over a true stainless steel weapon?
    I mean if you want a matte stainless then simply bead blast it, if you want a shiny stainless then simply polish it.
    guess thats why I am not a gun Manufacture?
    for me and all the crap info coming out of Miami, I am at this point going to throw a flag on this-- :bs: --and penalize Taurus 15 yards until I see more evidence myself!
    FreeInAZ, jonrjen, oso and 4 others like this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    937 times

Assuming Juan at Taurus is correct and the 85's are SS, the Ultra lights are alloy and SS construction, a finish over the metals would make the metal colors consistent. To make the finish consistent with the all SS models a uniform finish makes sense from a cost saving perspective (if not the consumer's)
    'Painting' is much cheaper than bead blasting, polishing or bluing and paint will cover a multitude of machining/casting imperfections the other methods won't. Face it, Taurus is a price point gun not an heirloom firearm.
    I believe the SS Smith J Frames Airweights (637, 638, 642) all have a finish over their alloy/SS as well.

Guns have only 2 enemies, rust and politicians.
    You don't shoot to kill, you shoot to stay alive.
    Assault is a behavior not a device, 69,997,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday

Member #
    Liked
    668 times
    Quote Originally Posted by one42A View Post

Assuming Juan at Taurus is correct and the 85's are SS, the Ultra lights are alloy and SS construction, a finish over the metals would make the metal colors consistent. To make the finish consistent with the all SS models a uniform finish makes sense from a cost saving perspective (if not the consumer's)
    'Painting' is much cheaper than bead blasting, polishing or bluing and paint will cover a multitude of machining/casting imperfections the other methods won't. Face it, Taurus is a price point gun not an heirloom firearm.
    I believe the SS Smith J Frames Airweights (637, 638, 642) all have a finish over their alloy/SS as well.
    I disagree that painting is cheaper than bead blasting. So form of blasting usually always takes place before painting a metal item.

This is purely a theory on my part, but I think that Taurus has a lot of inexperienced employees. Somewhere along the line an experienced employ said to one of the inexperienced employees, "That is a matte stainless finish", while holding a gun with bead blasted finish. Now the inexperienced employee thinks that the bead blasted finish is a coating style finish over the stainless steel. The inexperienced employee then proceeds to parrot that information to all of the other inexperienced employees and soon stainless guns are beleived to have an applied stainless finish.

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Stainless steel isn't "Rustless steel". A finish applied to stainless - whether "painted" on or chemically applied would, IMO, not be a bad thing.

Member #
    Liked
    27391 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg1835 View Post
    Stainless steel isn't "Rustless steel". A finish applied to stainless - whether "painted" on or chemically applied would, IMO, not be a bad thing.
    Depends on the grade of Stainless steel as to how corrosion /rust resistant it is.
    one thing though for sure I personally have never seen stainless steel peel, blister or get rust under it like a paint/coating might do.
    I mean IF they don't want to do a reasonable job of polishing out parts to make a presentable product then hell just get some old thick oil base paint and put on it.
    I guess I just feel/see this stainless finish as somewhat of a fraud to the unknowing buyer?
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    10874 times
    I know that the "stainless" finish on my PT1911 is matte, and on my PT92 it's nice and shiny. I'm sure there's a difference and apparently, from this thread, I should care what it is.

They both function well, and get cleaned regularly, and wiped down with a Remoil pad before being dried and put away. Both surfaces look pretty much like they just came out of the box. I'm cool...
    "The large print giveth, the small print taketh away..." Tom Waits
    "If the Dawn Patrol's gotta tell you twice they're gonna do it with a shotgun..." Steely Dan
    "Actually that is a pistol in my pocket..... But I am glad to see you." coopercdrkey
    Nemo me impune lacessit ​ No one provokes me with impunity
    Florida Concealed Carry Permit

Member #
    Liked
    2099 times
    I'm actually seeing a lot more stainless pistols with coatings these days; but it doesn't have anything to do with corrosion resistance or poor quality... they're providing the benefits of stainless steel without the glare or flash of regular stainless steel. It's marketed as a tactical benefit in terms of drawing attention and avoiding the blinding glare in bright sunlight.
    Qwiks draw likes this.

Victoria Faveat Paratam
    Ethos Anthropos Daimon
    4510MAG61773874084585

Member #
    Liked
    27391 times
    Quote Originally Posted by G8R8U2 View Post
    I'm actually seeing a lot more stainless pistols with coatings these days; but it doesn't have anything to do with corrosion resistance or poor quality... they're providing the benefits of stainless steel without the glare or flash of regular stainless steel. It's marketed as a tactical benefit in terms of drawing attention and avoiding the blinding glare in bright sunlight.
    Agreed!
    many companies coat over Stainless, for a combat/ tactical look but I can't think of any company that coats over stainless with a coating that looks like stainless steel or calls it a stainless "Finish".
    even Tanfoglio/EAA doesn't call their coating stainless finish, they call it Wonder coat and they have been producing that for a looooong time..
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links