Taurus Firearm Forum banner

80% Glock Frames

30K views 243 replies 37 participants last post by  GreenWolf70 
#1 ·
Anyone doing, or planning to do one of the Polymer80 80% Glock frames?

#2 ·
#3 ·
It would be a fun project. Wonder if they have a 10mm option?

#5 ·
Lone Wolf ran a sale back before Christmas on $175 for a custom Lone Wolf slide and it came with the new Lone Wolf barrel of your choice. These were, of course, their foreign made stuff as their Alpha Wolf series are now made in the USA. Everything sold out pretty quick, but I was able to catch a G23 slide with a 9mm conversion threaded barrel still in stock, so now I want a frame to go with it. It would be a custom Glock without any Glock made parts in it.

Reactions: wildbilloh
#6 ·
So, correct me if I am wrong...but the 80% frame doesn't require an FFL and can ship direct to you. The slide and barrel, and internal parts can ship to you.

So after you have it built, you have a gun that they didn't do a ATF check on you or the firearm? Are you required to go report it after it's built?

I've looked at the 80% AR lowers in the past and wondered the same thing.

This project def sounds interesting. I like the magwell design, as well as the change in grip.

#9 ·
I bought one. I have not made it, yet. Just tucked away as a future project. I picked it up a little while back. The 80% lower on sale from MidwayUSA for $100. Or was it Sportsman's Guide? I don't remember. In any event, they show up on sale from time to time. I am sure it will cost just as much (or more) than a factory Glock by the time I am done spending on it. LOL.

#10 ·
I just purchased a never fired GLOCK 29 G4 from the original owner. He changed out the OEM barrel with a stainless barrel. Replaced the OEM black poly pins with stainless, and the trigger to a 3#. I also got all of the OEM parts in the deal with the 3 mags and back straps.
I paid $400 for everything.

And while it does have a GLOCK serial number on it, I rather prefer it as such. If for some reason I were to get stopped with a weapon I would prefer not to try and explain the lack of a serial number for any reason.

#11 ·
You can legally give it away, like a hand me down to one of your kids, or relatives, or just anyone you like, or don't like.

The full size models (G17, G22) have been on sale several times at Brownells, Midway, and a few other places for $99. I am currently waiting for the compact model (G19, G23) to come out in colors other than black. I like the idea of white, just because I can dye it any color I like, but any color other than black will be OK. I have this feeling this will not be my only one.

If it bothers you about the serial number, there is a place for one on it. So you could give it a serial number (in case you get stopped). You could have all kinds of fun with vanity serial numbers, like HRC-LOST, THEGRASSYKNOLL, 2A-LIVES, CHASITYBELT, JIC-HRC-1, W4FLASH, SHTMLF (Say Hello To My Little Friend), NOTMYGUN, CASPER. You get the jist.

#12 ·
#16 ·
Hey, I just got this eBlast from Lone wolf and they are running the full size Polymer80 80% frame in any available color (no back orders, so you better hurry) with a free parts kit (usually $82) on sale for $120.

https://www.lonewolfdist.com/?trk_m...it&utm_content=Polymer+80+with+free+parts+kit

I ordered a white one and I don't even have a slide for it.
Awesome!

I was just showing the site to my son and saw that..so looks like $10 off plus the free parts kit.

You are a bad influence!!
What are friends for?!?

#14 ·
BTW, you can sell the kit as long as it has not been completed.

#15 ·
I think my SIL may be claiming my 80% Glock. Just talked to my daughter and she needs a gift for him.

Reactions: wildbilloh
#17 ·
GreenWolf - Do you have a cross slide vise and drill press? I have a Jet floor stand drill press that's just taking up space in the garage. I don't have the vise but found this one:
6" Cross Slide Vise

Definitely adds to the cost...even with a 20% off coupon. I was thinking of maybe getting a few friends together to do a group purchase, but then wonder if one of us bought the 80% kits...would it matter who ends up with a finished lower?

#18 ·
I bought a cheap Chinese one that looks similar off ebay for $40, but I would not do that again. I usually don't mind cleaning up something like this, and I did end up with a workable cross slide vise in the end, but the machining on it was very crappy, crappy paint, the casting was half-a$$ed finished, it had the wrong size set screws on the collars which popped out as soon as I tightened them, and I had to grind off about an 1/8" on one of the locking collars because the locating hole was in the wrong place. Even small stuff like nuts were drilled and tapped off center. I probably spent about 12 hours cleaning it up, knocking off sharp edges, tightening up the fit and maybe $6 on correct size screws and nuts. NOT GOOD!

Unless you intend to, or can, personally insect the vise before you buy it, I would probably go with a known brand (Shop Fox, Wilton, Yost, Klutch) and just pay a little more. JHMO.

I don't think you need much of a cross slide vise, as I watched one guy on Utube set the jig up in a nice cross slide vise, on a nice floor drill press, and then instead of using the slide screws, he just moved the whole vise back and forth under the drill press. LOL, I don't think he knew how to use it, or at least had no training, but obviously he had the money for the nice tools.

#19 ·
Checked Lone Wolf's website a minute ago and they are out of black, OD, FDE and Stealth Gray. They only have left white and robin egg blue, both of which IMO are the easiest to RIT dye to a color you want. The REB will just add a bit of blue tint to your Rit dye color.

I would mill and drill to finish the frame and make sure none of the metal parts are installed and then follow the RIT Dye instructions. You can even tie dye, if you wish. Lots of UTube vids on using RIT dye on plastic.

#21 ·
SIL wants to build a comp gun and this is better for that. He will need to acquire a long slide and barrel for it.

I am waiting for the Polymer80 compact model to come out in something other than Black. I have a complete G23 Lone Wolf slide, with TruGlo TFO fiber/tritium sights and a 9mm conversion barrel for it, as well as a threaded barrel for it too. Slide is satin stainless. I am more interested in a carry piece than competition.

LOL, you will not see this piece with the lower parts completion kit priced this low for a long time. I jumped on their $175 LW slide with a free 9mm conversion barrel back before Christmas. I have shot it off my G23, but it is begging for its own frame. Almost pulled the trigger on the LW TimberWolf complete frame for $250, but by the time I added S&H along with the FFL transfer fee I was looking at $300, so I decided to wait for the Polymer80 Compact frame.

#22 ·
Nothing left but the Robin Egg Blue now, and it won't last long.

#23 ·
what is the purpose or should I say gained with a 80% receiver whether it is a Glock, AR, or 1911 ? Not knocking it just trying to understand, I get it if you live in a state where you can't buy a 100% receiver of a certain type firearm but other than that I am just curious.

#24 ·
Try buying all the pieces for a Glock lower receiver for $120. The 80% piece means in general terms, you don't have to pay for a FFL transfer in return for a little work. Some people want something a little different and like the idea of making one, so get out of your box.

But it will not matter because they are down to REB color and they are almost gone too.

If you don't like the Glock design, I hear someone is working on an 80% Sig, don't know which model.

#25 ·
I have looked at 80% 1911 recievers but they are either same price or only at most $40 cheaper than 100% recievers and then add in the cost of additional jigs and tools to get to 100 % you could buy a 100% and a slide. I know you were talking glocks and not 1911's, I was just curious if you would run into same situation.

#26 ·
1911 are a whole other story. You will be putting a good bit of gunsmithing into one of those regardless of whether you start out with an 80% receiver, or a complete frame. There is a reason big name gunsmiths get paid big time bucks for building 1911 pistols, it is a lot of highly skilled work.

Reactions: RustyYoungMan
#27 ·
If you haven't already bought one of these 80% Glock frames you are too late as they are all gone now.

#29 · (Edited)
Look again, black is still in stock.

I suspect Polymer80 will be upgrading the large G17/G22 frame to include the improvements in the compact model, so they are emptying inventory.

#30 ·
while I'm sure there are laws and provisions that cover everything about getting into an 80% build on the ATF books. I think if you got stopped for a traffic problem and the cop finds an un-serial numbered gun in your car you're in for a very long day. generally I can find a factory receiver at price that makes the possible issues with an 80% seem less appealing, but that's just me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.