Pinching ejector?
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By leftcoastrebel

Thread: Pinching ejector?

Member #
    Liked
    95 times

Pinching ejector?

I am a novice gun owner but learning. I have a question about something I have noticed about the ejecting of cartridges on my 738.

I don't do as much range shooting as I should but I maintain my weapons regularly. As part of my cleaning process, when I reassemble the pistol, I cycle a round through the chamber to make sure all is working properly. I cycle the same bullet each time.

After my latest cleaning, I noticed that the bottom flange of the cartridge is showing small nicks along the outside edge. I read about the 738 modifications and I am thinking that maybe my Series D 738 might need these mods.

On the occasions I have shot the pistol, I have not experienced any jams but I wonder if the nicks on the cartridge mean that the ejector is pinching too hard or something on that order.

Would this be remedied by the mods to the ejector I saw in the Modifications thread?

I did smooth a burr at the bottom of the ramp that I think was responsible for the marks on the bullet.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    By the time you hear the gunshot, it's already too late...
    Circuit Judge (2), 738 TCP, Rossi .38 Special, Taurus TX22

Member #
    Liked
    13076 times
    The "ejector" is, basically the part of the gun that the case smacks against and it kicks it out from under the "extractor" and out the ejection port. The extractor is the hook that pulls the case out of the chamber and holdsit against he breech face.

That appears, to me from the picture, to be ejector marks which are to be expected when soft brass, ring he cartridge, contacts hard steel, the ejector,with any amount of force. Some guns are more prone to it. Not a firm rule but I seem to notice it more in compact designs.

It is one of he reasons, along with bullet set back, that many people rotate the rounds in the magazine so they don't 're chamber, and unchanged the same round repeatedly. A small burr probably wouldn't cause a problem, but a chewed up rim increases the possibility.
    I am beginning to think the "Miss Universe Pagent" is rigged. Have you noticed that all of the winners are from Earth ?

"Oh Bother", said Pooh, as he punched the magazine release.

Member #
    Liked
    95 times
    Thank you, LCR! I was hoping it was not anything serious. What you say makes sense to me. I will put them into rotation until I get to a range. I don't know all the finer points of having a pistol. You've given me a couple!
    By the time you hear the gunshot, it's already too late...
    Circuit Judge (2), 738 TCP, Rossi .38 Special, Taurus TX22

Sponsored Links