I guess I am in trouble now (Taurus M65)
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MOONDAWG

Thread: I guess I am in trouble now (Taurus M65)

Member #
    Liked
    14 times

Unhappy I guess I am in trouble now (Taurus M65)

I posted a thread here to ask about put some WD 40 in my model 65 revolver (sku: 2650041) as lubricant, and I got suggestions from members here to use something else instead (for example, dry lubricants).

So I searched on eBay, and purchased some Hoppe's Dri-Lube http://www.ebay.com/itm/290786176091 .

Today, I wanted to open the side plate, and it's no problem for the yoke screw and the screw below the hammer......

Then, there is the one just behind the trigger guard, and It is super tight. When I applied extra force on it......I scr--ed-up that one screw.

I afraid that it will be totally stripped if I continue to try to unscrew it, so I stopped and put everything back in place.

I know it's plenty of similar posts here. I searched for a while, and I found that MidwayUSA is selling side plate screws for K frame revolvers from Smith and Wesson. Are they fit for Taurus revolver?

Also, any way to remove the stripped screw (I don't have a Dremel, and I don't think it is useful in this case)?

Thank you for your suggestions in advance.
    Last edited by stevenkong1976; 10-18-2013 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Corection for typo

Member #
    Liked
    29393 times
    Discussing the ins and outs of WD-4 for gun care can be as tiddious as discussing religion or politics; some folks swear by it, some swear at it.

I've used it for nearly 50 years for cleaning and loosening stuck gun parts, but in truth it was not designed to be a lubricant as it will dry out. The WD stands for Water Displacement; as that is what it was originally designed for in NASA's space program.

There are many good gun lubricants on the market. My favorite for the last 20+ years has been BREAKFREE CLP which is a Cleaner, Lubricant & Protectorant.

First off before you work on any guns you need a decent set of hollow ground screw drivers designed for this purpose; and then, use only the proper sized one for the job.

As to your stripped side plate screw, I'd strongly suggest you take the gun to a local gunsmith who has the proper tools to remove it without further damage to the gun. He'll probably charge a very nominal fee for this service.
    Last edited by MOONDAWG; 10-18-2013 at 11:13 PM.
    CB236 likes this.
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    OK. Thanks for you reply, Moondawg.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46443 times
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenkong1976 View Post
    OK. Thanks for you reply, Moondawg.
    One thing I have learned over the years is to use a good set of Gunsmith screwdriver tips. You need a proper fitting tool to get some of those screws out without doing damage.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Taurusarmed.net Where are you map?

Member #
    Liked
    31488 times
    WD-40 isn't penetrating oil. If you're reluctant to go to a smith, one more low-risk attempt would be to put a drop of penetrating oil on it, wait an hour, then carefully take the exact right size screwdriver and slowly torque that mother out.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Thanks for all of you. I am going to seek a gunsmith and leave it to him/her.

Also, I will buy a set of screw drivers for this.

Now, just pure curious, will S&W's sideplate screws fit Taurus's revolver?
    Last edited by stevenkong1976; 10-19-2013 at 09:53 PM.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    8331 times
    Great advise from Moondawg. Please give us an update after your trip to the gunsmith.

Member #
    Liked
    8933 times
    I don't have a 65 but is it possible that that screw has Loctite on it ? If so, it will require heat to loosen it.

Taurus PT1911 SS .45 Beretta 92 FS type M9A1
    Taurus 66 SS 4" .357 Smith and Wesson M&P 9c
    Taurus Tracker 990 SS 6" .22 Mossberg 500 12 gauge
    The government can't make poor people richer, but it can make rich people poorer

Member #
    Liked
    85 times
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenkong1976 View Post
    Now, just pure curious, will S&W's sideplate screws fit Taurus's revolver?
    If you're going to a gunsmith anyway, why not ask the smith? And also see if they have a replacement screw while the gun is seeing the "doctor"?
    -- Robert

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links