Is a Trogan Horse from this site trying to hack my PC?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Is a Trogan Horse from this site trying to hack my PC?

Member #
    Liked
    1123 times

Is a Trogan Horse from this site trying to hack my PC?

Hi,

I got these messages stating a trogan horse was attempting access, twice when opening threads on the forum,
    The pop ups look like Windows Essential pages, but I have Win 10, which doesn't use Win Essential.
    They also advise to call a toll free number. 1-844-243-2014
    pics of pop ups. ( sorry for sideways view. could not upright them)

Thanks,
    Rob

Name:  Hack Screen 1.JPG
Views: 370
Size:  127.1 KB

Name:  Hack Screen 2.JPG
Views: 335
Size:  671.6 KB
    Last edited by RobThatsMe; 02-21-2017 at 03:20 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2731 times
    Don't call that number.
    RobThatsMe and wittmeba like this.
    I am the nicest guy on earth, Just ask me.
    Sand Lake 2014, 2015
    Wisconsin 2014, 2015, 2017
    Rapid City 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
    Non Illigitimus Carborundum

Member #
    Liked
    1123 times
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Don't call that number.
    Nope.. I don't like the looks of these pop-ups. I have TREND anti-virus, and ran a full scan. Nothing detected, and also did a search for that number, didn't show as a Microsoft number so didn't call it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46470 times
    This is slipping through I believe via Google ads. Best way I know to deal with it is Control Alt Delete - Task Manager - End Task on your browser. After that delete cookies and history. Also some of them are opening up browser settings and adding a tab to the home page taking you right back to the site that gives the pop ups. If that is the case remove that tab from your browser settings.

To put the Google Ads theory to the test I turned off my Ad Blocker and within 10 pages on taurusarmed.net I got the same warning. Removed it, did more pages with Ad Blocker off and boom, got it again. Cleared it and turned Ad Blocker back on and it I have not seen it again.
    RobThatsMe, Sekol and kschilk like this.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Taurusarmed.net Where are you map?

Member #
    Liked
    1234 times
    ScareWare
    RobThatsMe, wittmeba and Cariwine like this.
    What's in your kernel?

Member #
    Liked
    1123 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishinkeylargo View Post
    This is slipping through I believe via Google ads. Best way I know to deal with it is Control Alt Delete - Task Manager - End Task on your browser. After that delete cookies and history. Also some of them are opening up browser settings and adding a tab to the home page taking you right back to the site that gives the pop ups. If that is the case remove that tab from your browser settings.

To put the Google Ads theory to the test I turned off my Ad Blocker and within 10 pages on taurusarmed.net I got the same warning. Removed it, did more pages with Ad Blocker off and boom, got it again. Cleared it and turned Ad Blocker back on and it I have not seen it again.

Thanks FKL,

I had to use Task Manager when these pop-ups came, as they locked my screen.
    Also, I just followed your recommendation to then delete cookies and history.
    I shall keep the board posted if I get this issue again.

Rob
    Sekol likes this.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33064 times
    It's been on local news lately. A scam to get you to call that number, and gain control over your computer.
    RobThatsMe and wittmeba like this.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Member #
    Liked
    33367 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishinkeylargo View Post

My wife set up my computers with two separate user accounts. One user account is "Web" for browsing, listening to music on youtube, forums, etc and DOES NOT have download capability or authority to change main settings without reentry of my password at every step. The other user account is "Administrator", which will accept downloads and has authority to make system changes without reentering my password. As the "Web" user, if I encounter a virus or malware that attempts to download anything, I get a dialogue box requesting my password to continue and so far, that's always put a stop to it. Like Fish said, I alt/cntrl/del and after dumping history and cookies, usually run a virus/malware scan just to be safe. Even if somehow my "Web" account gets infected, I can startup with the "Administrator" user and run antivirus programs or whatever I gotta' do to clean it. It's an easy setup, avoids alot of hassle.
    RobThatsMe likes this.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

I miss my 286.

#Neverwarren

Welfare...funding the illegal drug trade since 1935.

Member #
    Liked
    24685 times
    I use the Bluhell Firewall addon with Firefox and have not seen a thing!

I highly recommend Bluhell.
    RobThatsMe likes this.

MOLON LABE
    "We the people, are the rightful masters of both the Congress, and the Courts. Not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who have perverted it." ~Abraham Lincoln

Member #
    Liked
    4583 times
    I use Google Chrome with the AdBlock extension. Occasionally will get a message on a web site that I must disable it to read the page contents. So I open an incognito page <Ctrl-Shift-N>, copy the URL from the first page (click the address bar, <Ctrl-C> and paste it in the incognito window <Ctrl-V> and hit the Enter key. I have AdBlock configured to not block in incognito so the page runs. But when done and I close it there's no history, cookies or anything else left from that site. Also Chrome has its own task manager, called up using <Shift-Esc> that lets you see everything that's running. If you have a frozen tab just select it and end it. And Windows task manager is always available.

Here's the info copied from an incognito window:

You’ve gone incognito

Pages you view in incognito tabs won’t stick around in your browser’s history, cookie store, or search history after you’ve closed all of your incognito tabs. Any files you download or bookmarks you create will be kept. However, you aren’t invisible. Going incognito doesn’t hide your browsing from your employer, your internet service provider, or the websites you visit.

RobThatsMe likes this.
    Whatever adjective or verb comes to mind, I am...NotSo.

One of my goals in life is to shoot more people on purpose than I do by accident. So far, so good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links