• 2 Post By troutkiller
  • 4 Post By loudviking
  • 1 Post By Rossi

Thread: Used Rossi M971

Member #
    Liked
    1127 times

Used Rossi M971

So a couple of three weeks back, I picked up an Interarms Rossi M971. I didn't have the luxury of shooting the gun first, it looked good though. The forcing cone looks great. It locked up tight, had my feeler gauge with me. It might need a good cleaning maybe. Here it is paired with an SP101 along with a shot of the forcing cone...

Name:  m971-sp101.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  323.8 KB

Name:  forcingcone.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  177.3 KB

After getting it home, I loaded some snap caps and started working it a little. The action seems nice enough, but it wasn't long before I noticed that the cylinder would not always turn working the revolver on single-action. It doesn't happen very often, but it does occur on any given cylinder at random. Double-action is fine. Like I said though, it's not often. Yesterday I noticed the snap caps themselves were dinged on the edge, as if the hammer mounted firing pin hit the edges of two or three of them. They are not new snap caps...

Name:  snapcaps.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  176.5 KB

At this point, I'm shopping for a gunsmith. Haven't fired it yet, mostly bought it for target practice. Most of my time dry-firing it, I was paying attention to see it locked up properly and never noticed anything irregular in that regard. Any thoughts from you revolver guys on the board?
    Last edited by troutkiller; 06-01-2019 at 11:26 AM.
    777Driver and jwc007 like this.
    God wishes, the Devil expects.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    10925 times
    Wow, never seen firing pin hits that far off center. Have you checked the timing yet? One of many videos describing how to check and resolve many timing issues: . Take a look at the teeth on your cylinder star, For it to be that bad I gotta assume you are missing a few, or a few are damaged maybe,,just guessing here. But I bet it is timing. Kinda weird, since you already checked lock-up. Let us know what happens. I owned exact same model for a few years, no timing issues, and was a smooth running revolver. Accuracy was not a good as a Smith or Ruger, but cost half the price.
    troutkiller likes this.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Member #
    Liked
    2809 times
    What? You never heard about the super rare Rossi in .38spl Rimfire?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    This is the land of opportunity not entitlement

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1127 times
    I can't be absolutely certain the firing pin on the Rossi caused those indents. There could be an issue with the cylinder star as it appears to have some uneven wear on the teeth. It's very hard to capture on a cell phone camera. The hand? Again, it's hard to tell, I haven't taken the side plate off yet. End shake? It doesn't seem any worse than the SP101. I've got a Rossi M68 out at the camp, and will compare it to the 971. Thanks.

Name:  rossi-star.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  726.8 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by troutkiller; 06-01-2019 at 02:05 PM.
    silverstring likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1127 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamabowtie View Post
    What? You never heard about the super rare Rossi in .38spl Rimfire?
    I might have a box of that ammo in with my metric screwdrivers. Let me check...
    se3388 and Rossi like this.

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    7175 times
    Take the side plate off and clean and lube properly, looks to me like the cylinder stop is not going completely up
    causing the cylinder to freewheel............................
    I have this same firearm, and it is a great shooter!
    There are "four boxes" that can be employed to resist the downfall of America, the ballot box, the soap box, the jury box and, lastly, the ammo box.

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    troutkiller,
    Where in the world did you find a set of metric screw drivers, they stopped making them years ago.

Steve........

Member #
    Liked
    7080 times
    Quote Originally Posted by loudviking View Post
    Take the side plate off and clean and lube properly, looks to me like the cylinder stop is not going completely up
    causing the cylinder to freewheel............................
    I have this same firearm, and it is a great shooter!
    I also have this same firearm (4 inch), and it's one of the best .357's I own. Don't give up on the gun. I think I also had this happen on one of my (other) best revolvers when I first bought it - a '68 Colt Diamondback. A good cleaning and lube (as well as working the action a lot) and the problem went away pretty soon. After hundreds of rounds, the problem hasn't returned.
    loudviking likes this.

Sponsored Links