Has ANYONE Actually Gotten A Rossi Call-Back Repaired???? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 43
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Has ANYONE Actually Gotten A Rossi Call-Back Repaired????

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Member #
    18377
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Chicago Metro
    Posts
    751
    Liked
    453 times
    Also received my prepaid Fedex label yesterday, boxed up my snubbie and dropped it off at the nearest Fedex office this morning. Hope springs eternal.

    I'm just glad the case is finally out of the courts and Taurus can get things rolling. Regardless of past performance I have no issue with now giving Taurus customer service the opportunity to make things right in a timely fashion.
    Last edited by RandyP; 03-30-2019 at 12:43 PM.
    Several firearms in 10 different calibers. Lee Classic 4-hole turret and Lee breech-lock single stage.

    "Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

  2. #22
    Super Moderator

    Member #
    5628
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    29,803
    Liked
    37137 times
    No correspondence yet that I've seen. I opened the service order almost immediately. I may get on chat to see that the estimate of turn time it...probably the 4-6 weeks that they always quote. One of my main questions will be if the part is actually in their possession...or just promised to them. I wonder if the OEM hammer block is a MIM part that fails. Seems that they should be replacing ALL of them with a machined piece.
    Jake3501 likes this.
    “…democratic socialism, the great utopia of the last few generations, is not only unachievable but that to strive for it produces something utterly different – the very destruction of freedom itself. As has been aptly said: ‘What has always made the state a hell on earth has been precisely that man has tried to make it his heaven.'” F.A. Hayek

  3. #23
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    3317
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Katy, Tx.
    Posts
    9,942
    Liked
    16213 times
    Alright, I hadn't heard of the Rossi recall until I got the e-mail about a settlement. What made the drop safe whoopsie a problem. I thought any revolver with the firing pin on the hammer was a drop safe hazard. Sorry, but considering the track record of the Taurus recall, I'd be hesitant about sending any firearm back. Especially if it wasn't broke. And before you give that a harumph, go back and look at the title of this thread.
    Children, pets, and slaves get taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.


    When Democracy turns to Tyranny

    I still plan to vote.






  4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #24
    Super Moderator

    Member #
    5628
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    29,803
    Liked
    37137 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CJS3 View Post
    Alright, I hadn't heard of the Rossi recall until I got the e-mail about a settlement. What made the drop safe whoopsie a problem. I thought any revolver with the firing pin on the hammer was a drop safe hazard. Sorry, but considering the track record of the Taurus recall, I'd be hesitant about sending any firearm back. Especially if it wasn't broke. And before you give that a harumph, go back and look at the title of this thread.
    The Rossi design, and many others with a hammer FP, have a "Hammer Block" which renders the gun drop safe as the FP cannot advance to the primer unless the trigger is depressed. My suspicion (and only that as I have no other info) is that the hammer block has been shown to be defective in some cases...maybe a MIM part?

    They are claiming an "inspection" and parts replacement IF they find it to be defective. I personally would much rather they have new machined components, as from solid steel, to install to ensure that my gun is as safe as possible. We will never know for sure what was wrong or how it was fixed due to the lack of transparency with Taurus.
    “…democratic socialism, the great utopia of the last few generations, is not only unachievable but that to strive for it produces something utterly different – the very destruction of freedom itself. As has been aptly said: ‘What has always made the state a hell on earth has been precisely that man has tried to make it his heaven.'” F.A. Hayek

  6. #25
    Junior Member
    Member #
    75401
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    1
    Liked
    0 times
    Hey Chuck! I appreciate your post since I just bought a Rossi 972 in an "estate sale" and found out about the "safety warning/recall". I have shot the 971 and really like the gun. I have spoken with the folks at both Rossi and Braztech and all they say is "register with Rossi and wait for a shipping label to arrive", then mail the gun to Miami FL and it should be mailed back in twelve weeks. Are they kidding?...I also questioned their tech support folks and they were very tight lipped about what needs to be inspected or repaired. I believe it has something to do with the hammer block/bar and I know it's not easy to accidentally discharge any revolver unless the hammer is cocked. I'll bet someone dropped their gun(s) directly on the hammer when it was loaded....Not smart! I'm looking for any reputable dealer or gun repair shop that can do the repair but I doubt Rossi will disclose exactly what need to be done. If you or any other Rossi/Taurus owners have any suggestions, I would really appreciate it. I also have a Taurus 66 and intend to keep it and the 972 since it appears to be out of production.
    Gazman

  7. #26
    Super Moderator

    Member #
    5628
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    29,803
    Liked
    37137 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazman View Post
    Hey Chuck! I appreciate your post since I just bought a Rossi 972 in an "estate sale" and found out about the "safety warning/recall". I have shot the 971 and really like the gun. I have spoken with the folks at both Rossi and Braztech and all they say is "register with Rossi and wait for a shipping label to arrive", then mail the gun to Miami FL and it should be mailed back in twelve weeks. Are they kidding?...I also questioned their tech support folks and they were very tight lipped about what needs to be inspected or repaired. I believe it has something to do with the hammer block/bar and I know it's not easy to accidentally discharge any revolver unless the hammer is cocked. I'll bet someone dropped their gun(s) directly on the hammer when it was loaded....Not smart! I'm looking for any reputable dealer or gun repair shop that can do the repair but I doubt Rossi will disclose exactly what need to be done. If you or any other Rossi/Taurus owners have any suggestions, I would really appreciate it. I also have a Taurus 66 and intend to keep it and the 972 since it appears to be out of production.
    Gazman
    Welcome to the forum from Northern Illinois. They are not kidding about the time for the repair, it may well be a low estimate of time and I am still waiting months later to even get the shipping label. They are offering a 50.00 reward for your time and trouble while paying for the shipping both ways.

    A qualified gunsmith could no doubt do the repair, but first they would have to get parts from Taurus which is impossible.
    Jake3501 likes this.
    “…democratic socialism, the great utopia of the last few generations, is not only unachievable but that to strive for it produces something utterly different – the very destruction of freedom itself. As has been aptly said: ‘What has always made the state a hell on earth has been precisely that man has tried to make it his heaven.'” F.A. Hayek

  8. #27
    Senior Member
    Member #
    67138
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    203
    Liked
    128 times
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck_in_texas View Post
    You bring up a "permanent" point with the legal issue, JRJ. Following your logic -- which is damned sound --- I can't do anything with the gun except wait on Rossi. Except take a hacksaw to it. Even if I don't want it, I'm stuck with it until they decide to fix it.
    Or sell it to one of us with knowledge of the issue and we sign a knowledgement of said issue.

  9. #28
    Senior Member
    Member #
    18377
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Chicago Metro
    Posts
    751
    Liked
    453 times
    To Gazman, IMHO and only IMHO, You bought a used product and subsequently learned it has a known safety 'issue' and an ongoing factory recall process. The procedure to follow is clear, the cost to you is zero $ (actually you'll make fifty bucks on the deal) and all you will lose in the end is time.

    I suggest you complete the simple online form and sit back and wait for your shipping label. This specific recall involves a firearm, but I'd offer the same advice if this were a used car, a food product, a baby stroller or crib or..... you get the idea.
    Czechbikr and chuck_in_texas like this.
    Several firearms in 10 different calibers. Lee Classic 4-hole turret and Lee breech-lock single stage.

    "Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

  10. #29
    Member
    Member #
    29287
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    North Central Alabama
    Posts
    49
    Liked
    50 times
    Yeah a got the recall notice.. checked.. my 6 inch 357 is on the list to be repaired... As of yet I have not heard word one about people actually getting their guns back from Rossi.. I don't plan on selling it... And in damn near 40 years of handling firearms I have yet to drop one. So mine ain't gonna go in til I have a firm time table in return time. It took them 5 months to repair the mag release on my Pt111 g2... He's what I foresee... Once they reach a certain number of returns... In hand... You all will get emails saying it has been decided that these guns will not be repaired. U will be offered $200... Maybe Up to $250 if you piss and moan enough about it.... U will not get a replacement... take it or leave it... U ain't gonna get your gun back...
    With Guns we are CITIZENS
    Without Guns we are SUBJECTS

  11. #30
    Moderator

    Member #
    38167
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    North Central New Mexico
    Posts
    19,457
    Liked
    30863 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CJS3 View Post
    I thought any revolver with the firing pin on the hammer was a drop safe hazard.
    That statement, if true, would make every Detective Special ever made a drop safe hazard. Hammer block safeties were introduced in 1905 with the Colt Police Positive and Pocket Positive. People put five in a Single Action Army. I've never read or heard of anyone using that practice with a "Positive" or any of it's descendants, including the Detective Special and a lot more (classic Cobra, Agent, Diamondback, to name the most well known).

    Transfer bars are probably the best, but hammer blocks are still a darn good approach. Rebounding hammers have their worth, too.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

 

 
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-18-2016, 07:10 PM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-05-2015, 07:47 AM
  3. My PT845 was repaired in 48 hours, I have it back already!
    By Vegasrph in forum PT92 & Other Taurus Pistols
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-18-2010, 03:33 PM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-09-2009, 12:18 PM

Search tags for this page

has anyone actually had a rossi recall revolver repaired

Click on a term to search for related topics.