Picked up a Rossi R98 Plinker!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Picked up a Rossi R98 Plinker!

Member #
    Liked
    496 times

Picked up a Rossi R98 Plinker!

I went to a large gun show yesterday, specifically looking for either a Rossi R98 Plinker (first choice), or a Taurus 990 Tracker. Either one in the 4" barrel size. After looking at almost every single table, and seeing a couple Taurus M94's (a 2" snubby priced @ $318, and a 4" version priced @ $375 - both overpriced, but up for negotiation), I was about ready to give up. Near the back of the building was a dealer selling new and used guns, and there was a Plinker! It has the 6 " barrel, and it was priced @ $385. I got them down to $310, and I brought it home. Good Lord was this thing filthy! I stripped it down and gave it a thorough cleaning and light lube, and it is now looking much better! Will likely get it to the range this Wednesday. The trigger in SA and DA is leaps and bounds ahead of the M94 I had a few years ago. Looking forward to getting a bunch of rounds down the pipe!

Here she is (terrible pic, but you get the idea):
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    kruizer, dogchild, Rossi and 7 others like this.
    Rossi R98 Plinker 6" barrel
    Taurus G2S Brown/Black

Member #
    Liked
    116 times
    I gave these guns a hard look a while back...the only reason I don't have one is b/c I stumbled across an H&R 999 Sportsman at my LGS...the breaktop was too cool to pass on so...

That said - I'm really interested in the range report keep us posted!
    cnj likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2836 times
    Congrats on your new to you wheel gun
    cnj likes this.
    I am the nicest guy on earth, Just ask me.
    Sand Lake 2014, 2015
    Wisconsin 2014, 2015, 2017
    Rapid City 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
    Non Illigitimus Carborundum

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    496 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CitizenX View Post
    I gave these guns a hard look a while back...the only reason I don't have one is b/c I stumbled across an H&R 999 Sportsman at my LGS...the breaktop was too cool to pass on so...

That said - I'm really interested in the range report keep us posted!
    CitizenX, I have a Sportsman 999 as well!! Mine is a 1982 edition, as the serial number starts with "AY". What a great looking revolver the 999 is, huh? Wish they were still being made.
    CitizenX likes this.
    Taurus G2S Brown/Black

Member #
    Liked
    8754 times
    That's a fine looking Plinker you have there.

Member #
    Liked
    496 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwiks draw View Post
    That's a fine looking Plinker you have there.
    Thank you, Qwiks draw!
    Taurus G2S Brown/Black

Member #
    Liked
    19708 times
    Nice find, congrats!
    cnj likes this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46628 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cnj View Post
    I went to a large gun show yesterday, specifically looking for either a Rossi R98 Plinker (first choice), or a Taurus 990 Tracker. Either one in the 4" barrel size. After looking at almost every single table, and seeing a couple Taurus M94's (a 2" snubby priced @ $318, and a 4" version priced @ $375 - both overpriced, but up for negotiation), I was about ready to give up. Near the back of the building was a dealer selling new and used guns, and there was a Plinker! It has the 6 " barrel, and it was priced @ $385. I got them down to $310, and I brought it home. Good Lord was this thing filthy! I stripped it down and gave it a thorough cleaning and light lube, and it is now looking much better! Will likely get it to the range this Wednesday. The trigger in SA and DA is leaps and bounds ahead of the M94 I had a few years ago. Looking forward to getting a bunch of rounds down the pipe!

Here she is (terrible pic, but you get the idea):
    I hate you!
    Okay maybe not, I would have bought that gun in a heart beat. I have been watching for one locally for several years now. Shame on Rossi/Taurus for dropping the Plinker.
    cnj likes this.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Taurusarmed.net Where are you map?

Member #
    Liked
    496 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishinkeylargo View Post
    I hate you!
    Okay maybe not, I would have bought that gun in a heart beat. I have been watching for one locally for several years now. Shame on Rossi/Taurus for dropping the Plinker.
    LOL, I'll take that as a good thing! The odd thing is, that until Sept of last year, I lived in California, where we had a "Not unsafe handgun approved list" (the gun laws in CA are draconian, to put it lightly), where, if a gun was not on that list, it was not legal for the normal citizen to purchase from a dealer. I won't get into the requirements of getting a gun on that list, or the assinine-ness of that list to start with, but I will say that the Rossi Plinkers never made it on this list. My point being, I had admired these little revolvers from afar, and had never seen one in person. Until yesterday!
    Taurus G2S Brown/Black

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46628 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cnj View Post
    LOL, I'll take that as a good thing! The odd thing is, that until Sept of last year, I lived in California, where we had a "Not unsafe handgun approved list" (the gun laws in CA are draconian, to put it lightly), where, if a gun was not on that list, it was not legal for the normal citizen to purchase from a dealer. I won't get into the requirements of getting a gun on that list, or the assinine-ness of that list to start with, but I will say that the Rossi Plinkers never made it on this list. My point being, I had admired these little revolvers from afar, and had never seen one in person. Until yesterday!
    I can't imagine Rossi was to motivated to even spend the money on getting the gun CA approved.

I see the lack of availability on the used market as a good thing telling me current owners are very happy with them. I want the 6" barrel because I am sure this would become a 50+ yard plinker for me if I owned one. I like to stretch out a guns ability to help sharpen my shooting skills.
    cnj and Qwiks draw like this.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Taurusarmed.net Where are you map?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links