Rossi Plinker (R98) sights
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Rossi Plinker (R98) sights

I finally found and purchased a 4" Rossi Plinker (R98104) about a month ago after looking for one for quite some time. I've had it to the range twice now and even with the rear sight bottomed out completely it is still shooting an inch or so high at 10 and 15 yards, and even higher at 25 yards. Have others found that to be the case with theirs, especially the 4" model? If I were to send it back for service, is there anything that could be done to improve the situation other than installing a taller front sight? And would Rossi/Taurus even have a taller front sight option?

I've thought about trying to replace the front sight myself. I would actually prefer a green fiber optic over the red, and have seen online a couple of HiViz sight blades made for other guns that look like they might fit, but have no way of knowing for sure. Anyone have any experience with replacing the Plinker front sight blade?

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    1020 times
    I was on that quest for a 4" Plinker as well, looked for months and couldn't find one. Then lo and behold one showed up at the local range as a rental. And they wouldn't sell it to me. But I eventually found a 4" LNIB Taurus 94 that I like very much.

My wife had a 2" Plinker. She has trouble seeing the sights on a Ruger LCR. She thought the red fiber optic would have helped but it did not. I even asked a gunsmith about doing what you suggest, finding a green light pipe for the Plinker. He said it was possible but he needed to see the gun. However I lost patience and sold it off and of course now I regret it. Maybe thats why I was so determined to find another Plinker.

Maybe invest in some Hi-Viz or other manufacturer and experiment with it.

BTW: I called Rossi CS and asked who the supplier of the light pipes were, they told me but have forgotten. The company did not reply to an email. dropped it there, never tried to call them.

Constitution of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
    Article I, Section 21:
    "The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned"

Clinging to my Guns and Bible

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    After another trip to the range this past Friday, I believe that I've been able to make sufficient adjustments in the sight picture and POA that I'm using to shoot my Plinker reasonably accurately. But I'm still interested in potentially replacing the red fiber optic rod with a green one. But the Plinker front sight is different from most fiber optic sights in the fact that it has a closed front, so the fiber optic is not held in place by using heat to create a bulb at both ends the way most are. Looking closely at the right side of the sight, it looks like there may be pins holding the rod in at both ends, with no way to remove those pins. Has anyone dealt with this and figured out how to replace the fiber optic rod in the Plinker front sight?

Sponsored Links